The NEW Kauffman Stadium - post your reviews

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: The NEW Kauffman Stadium - post your reviews

Post by GRID »

A few photos:

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Kansas City finally has a major league caliber stadium and is fielding a major league caliber team...

playing next to a freeway Taco Bell and Drury Inn.  :?
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Cool pics Grid. 

I went to a game a few fridays ago and overall I really like the new stadium.  The ribbon boards, bathrooms, concourses, entry way...all major improvements. 

Now, my downsides......as I was walking around the stadium with a buddy, I noticed a lot of cracked and even broken concrete from the original stadium and rust from old piping...not sure why this wasn't fixed/repaced in the renovation, but it made the stadium feel kind of worn.  This to me is a big downside, because these are the types of things that people are going to notice and mention to other people that haven't seen the renovations.  A guy I work with went to the afternoon game last week and mentioned the same things, so I know I'm not the only one that has noticed it...just my thoughts. 
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
KCBoom
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCBoom »

I do miss the grassy batter's eye in centerfield.  I think the team could pretty easily build a structure over the centerfield portion of the walkway and in effect create a tunnel and then place soil and sod on the top.  Any engineers on the board that might be able to confirm the ability for that to happen.  I wouldn't think a project like that would cost too much--under $1MM.  ???
Cheffreygo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Cheffreygo »

StL_Dan wrote: All I know is the "StL way".  :P

Paper boats loaded with cheese and japs all over the top is best.   
Hey now...!  No need to use racial slurs... &&& : :lol:
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KCBoom wrote: I do miss the grassy batter's eye in centerfield.  I think the team could pretty easily build a structure over the centerfield portion of the walkway and in effect create a tunnel and then place soil and sod on the top.  Any engineers on the board that might be able to confirm the ability for that to happen.  I wouldn't think a project like that would cost too much--under $1MM.  ???
Yeah...I mentioned the same thing a few times.  A tunnel would have been a simple solution, rather than the current eyesore.  Then again, there's a reason they're all structural engineers, rather than interior decorators.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Short, interesting discussion from Kevin Collison on the Sept 25 Up to Date about how corporate support for a downtown stadium was rallied, a plan was developed, and the Royals got cold feet well before the deadline they established.

http://kcur.org/programs/date
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

What plan developed? Didn't have a location chosen. Financing not in place. A dream developed but no plan.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:What plan developed? Didn't have a location chosen. Financing not in place. A dream developed but no plan.
Wow.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Today is the 40th Anniversary of Royals Stadium (aka Kauffman Stadium). Cool post here about the history of the stadium development.

Royals Review: Kauffman Stadium turns 40

Here is the multi-use dome for downtown that was once proposed for the Royals and Chiefs in the 60s

chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Those renderings are amazing. Talk about dodging a bullet. If that dome was built, there would be no Crossroads, PAC, or Kemper Arena. The Westside would probably be much different. I wonder how many more parking lots downtown would have, since the lots in that rendering are comically undersized.

If the dome had been built, ironically we would probably have a new downtown baseball stadium now, since there's no way the Royals renovate. A new dowtown stadium project might have been three buildings: baseball, football, and something like the Sprint Center. Plus parking garages. Interesting to think about.

The really interesting part of that post is the 1960's quote about how the city doesn't see a stadium located in the Leeds area as being much of an economic generator.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

That paragraph would never appear in a stadium study these days.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Dated April 3, 1968, Wheeler expressed caution moving forward too quickly as well as disdain for a certain party whom were operating without the best interest of the citizenry at heart: Franchise owners. His speech contains this passage:

"Kansas Citians are very knowledgeable about franchise owners. From their experiences with Arnold Johnson and Charles O. Finley, Kansas Citians know franchise owners can be very difficult to deal with. Since franchise owners have to be millionaires, I would like to say a few words about millionaires in general...

Millionaires generally have a great ability to make money. They spend a great deal of their time looking over ledgers. Some millionaires like to be subsidized by the public and will look for situations where they are guaranteed a a large profit. Marol league franchises probably fit into this category. After all, winning was no part of Charles O. Finley's operation. Nevertheless, his franchise more than doubled in value over six losing years in Kansas City. It is one of those rare situations in life where you can win financially, while you are losing."
:shock:
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AllThingsKC wrote:
Dated April 3, 1968, Wheeler expressed caution moving forward too quickly as well as disdain for a certain party whom were operating without the best interest of the citizenry at heart: Franchise owners. His speech contains this passage:

"Kansas Citians are very knowledgeable about franchise owners. From their experiences with Arnold Johnson and Charles O. Finley, Kansas Citians know franchise owners can be very difficult to deal with. Since franchise owners have to be millionaires, I would like to say a few words about millionaires in general...

Millionaires generally have a great ability to make money. They spend a great deal of their time looking over ledgers. Some millionaires like to be subsidized by the public and will look for situations where they are guaranteed a a large profit. Marol league franchises probably fit into this category. After all, winning was no part of Charles O. Finley's operation. Nevertheless, his franchise more than doubled in value over six losing years in Kansas City. It is one of those rare situations in life where you can win financially, while you are losing."

Wasn't Finley still the owner during the great A's dynasties of the early 70's? Back in the days before free agency, you could watch guys like Reggie Jackson, Dick Green and Catfish Hunter in KC and knew the team was going to be special.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

I would argue that there was nothing in Finley's ownership of the A's in Kansas City that even hinted that he was putting together - or was even capable of putting together - a team that would win 3 straight titles.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

chaglang wrote:I would argue that there was nothing in Finley's ownership of the A's in Kansas City that even hinted that he was putting together - or was even capable of putting together - a team that would win 3 straight titles.
I was a fan back then as a grade schooler and the A's did stink but they were getting some very good talent and most those guys were just starting to play for the A's while they were still in KC. Look at the 1967 roster:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamsta ... 1967&t=kc1
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Highlander wrote:
AllThingsKC wrote:

Wasn't Finley still the owner during the great A's dynasties of the early 70's? Back in the days before free agency, you could watch guys like Reggie Jackson, Dick Green and Catfish Hunter in KC and knew the team was going to be special.
Yes he was and he was notoriously cheap. He had several trades that were salary dumps that the league had to step in and veto. Catfish Hunter became a free agent because Finley didn't pay his mandated insurance premiums on time. He began talking with the city of Toronto about moving the A's only a few years after coming to Oakland.

I always do wonder "what if" Charlie Finley had decided to sell the A's to local ownership rather than move, and say Ewing Kauffman had bought them. That collection of talent + Ewing's pocketbook = ridiculous dynasty during the 70s and maybe even into the 80s.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

This is kind of amazing. Not only did Finley inform KCMO that he was leaving via telegram, his relentless flirting with multiple cities led to MLB having to promise KC and Seattle future franchises. The other owners must have loved him.
-May 7, 1967: The New York Times and New York Daily News reported that the Athletics were prepared to relocate to Oakland, California.

-July 1967: The Sporting News reported that the Athletics had reached an agreement to relocate to Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The Athletics had obtained pledges for television and radio broadcasting rights with the sponsorship of Schlitz Brewery. The proposed move would require the support of seven of the ten American League owners. The league only had five votes in favour of the proposed relocation.

-August 1, 1967: The Governor of Washington State Dan Evans, and mayor of Seattle, J.D. Braman spoke to Finley on the phone to discuss the relocation of the team to Seattle. Finley had met with city officials on August 7 to discuss a possible relocation.

-In September 1967, Finley had sent a telegram to city manager Carleton Sharpe, advising that the Athletics would leave Kansas City for Oakland.

-October 18, 1967: City officials from Kansas City, Oakland and Seattle were invited by Joe Cronin to discuss the A’s relocation plans. United States Senator Stuart Symington attended the meeting and discussed the possibility of revoking baseball’s antitrust exemption if the A’s were allowed to leave Kansas City. The owners began deliberation and after the first ballot, only six owners were in favour of relocation. The owner of Baltimore voted against, while the ownership for Cleveland, New York and Washington had abstained.[18] In the second ballot, the New York Yankees voted in favour of the Athletics relocation to Oakland. To appease all interested parties, the Athletics announced that MLB would expand to Kansas City and Seattle no later than the 1971 MLB season.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_Kansa ... ics_season
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Highlander wrote:
chaglang wrote:I would argue that there was nothing in Finley's ownership of the A's in Kansas City that even hinted that he was putting together - or was even capable of putting together - a team that would win 3 straight titles.
I was a fan back then as a grade schooler and the A's did stink but they were getting some very good talent and most those guys were just starting to play for the A's while they were still in KC. Look at the 1967 roster:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamsta ... 1967&t=kc1
Oh, he was on a huge roll. He also drafted Vida Blue and Darrell Evans that summer.