The NEW Kauffman Stadium - post your reviews

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: The NEW Kauffman Stadium - post your reviews

Post by KCPowercat »

Don't forget a lot of the money went to redoing all the guts and widening the concourses.

I sat in the infield for the first time this year. Man in there there are bathroms (with seperate in/outs) even section it seems. I didn't eat anything last night but got beers at the bbq stand, seemed like a lot of offerings there. Last year a lot of the same food was offered but not in so many areas, so lines for say one item at one stand were huge compared to that same item being offered in many stands now. Noteable food adds I can think of are some of the chicken items at fy works, sandwiches at lik the bbq station and like a philly station, and also more mexican offerings.

Now that they have pale ale, I think the beer offerings are pretty solid. When it gets warm, I will be stictly on wheat...I think that's common and why its widely offered at all stands.

I am liking the renovations more and more with each passing game (last night was my 7th)...I notice the tweaks they are making between homestands so they are listening to the customers. Still wish they had put in a sushi stand.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCPowercat wrote: I sat in the infield for the first time this year. Man in there there are bathroms (with seperate in/outs) even section it seems. I didn't eat anything last night but got beers at the bbq stand, seemed like a lot of offerings there. Last year a lot of the same food was offered but not in so many areas, so lines for say one item at one stand were huge compared to that same item being offered in many stands now. Noteable food adds I can think of are some of the chicken items at fy works, sandwiches at lik the bbq station and like a philly station, and also more mexican offerings.
yeah, there are a ton of bathrooms.  i don't understand how there could ever be a line for the bathroom.  i went to the bathroom three times last night (yeah) and there were never more than five people in there. 
KCPowercat wrote: Now that they have pale ale, I think the beer offerings are pretty solid. When it gets warm, I will be stictly on wheat...I think that's common and why its widely offered at all stands.
i'm glad they have pale ale, but they had pale ale before the renovations as well - at beer stands as well as at the awesome sheboygan brat stands which are now apparently gone, leaving the standard ballpark hot dogs as the only option. 

the food situation is pretty weak in my opinion.  i read an article a year or two ago about the food offered at some other parks that made us seem particularly bush-league.  the raytown little league complex was competitive with the pre-renovations K on the food front, and now it's not much better. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I rarely eat there, if I do its in stadium club, but just iin observation of the menus its seems comparable to other mlb parks.

Does rivals have even more beer offerings?  I haven't been there yet...they do have more food offerings I know.

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

luckily i like hot dogs and nachos.  50% of the reason why i was stoked to go to the game last night was so i could eat a hot dog and ballpark nachos with jalapenos. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

chrizow wrote: yeah, there are a ton of bathrooms.  i don't understand how there could ever be a line for the bathroom.  i went to the bathroom three times last night (yeah) and there were never more than five people in there.  
That's just it - the bathrooms were built very imbalanced, excessively plentiful in the lower infield area and woefully inadequate in the outfield and upstairs.  If you are hanging out on the lower infield concourse, you would definitely think people are crazy for complaining but there are definitely areas where it was poorly designed. 
chrizow wrote: i'm glad they have pale ale, but they had pale ale before the renovations as well - at beer stands as well as at the awesome sheboygan brat stands which are now apparently gone, leaving the standard ballpark hot dogs as the only option. 
The loss of the sheboygans is indeed sad - they do have a place offering sausages hidden out in obscure locations around the corkscrew ramps but their offerings are but a sad shadow of the former boulevard options. 
chrizow wrote: the food situation is pretty weak in my opinion.  i read an article a year or two ago about the food offered at some other parks that made us seem particularly bush-league.  the raytown little league complex was competitive with the pre-renovations K on the food front, and now it's not much better. 
There are a few interesting improvements here or there but yeah, I think Aramark was a pretty disapointing parther. 

I wish they would put a non-grey beer on tap in the primary concession stands.  Its a real pain in the ass to wait in line for a hot dog and then go wait in a line at a different stand just because you want a drinkable beer. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I wish they would put a non-grey beer on tap in the primary concession stands.  Its a real pain in the ass to wait in line for a hot dog and then go wait in a line at a different stand just because you want a drinkable beer. 
i dont know about the other stands, but the main ones on the infield level had some other options.  i saw pilsner urquell and blvd wheat at a few of the main concession stands.  granted, those aren't the most flavorful beers either, but if you want something with a bit more kick than miller lite or bud light, they are there. 

i had a couple of miller lites last night and liked them.  sometimes i just want something cold and fizzy and vaguely beery.  satisfies a totally different craving than the pale ale/IPA or stout/porter craving. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Blvd wheat is at many stands.

L, my seats are in the outfield and the past games I haven't seen the stress on the bathrooms...if its a buck night party scene, walk 80 seconds to the infield, seems like a good compromise unless you wanted the outfield experience to just be full of pissers??

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I took my one year old son on Tuesday, my first visit since Opening Day. I know people have criticized all the kids stuff in the outfield "kids should sit in their seat and shut up and watch the game!". But you know what, I never would have taken a one year old to a Royals game had they not had the outfield stuff. He had an absolute blast watching the fountains, running around the outfield plaza area, playing on the playground, watching the kids on the carousel. The fact you can linger around the fountains is awesome. What a terrific view!

The benches are a real nice option to have too so you don't have to eat in your seat, you can relax and still catch the game, while feeding a squirming kid. I was a bit disappointed in the limited food options in the outfield, but the hot dogs were pretty good and I like they have fresh toppings now  (although where is the Boulevard stadium mustard?) I am deeply saddened that I couldn't find the sheboygan.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Man I am sad I missed these shobogens (sp?) When they were there. I guess now I don't miss them though so that's a bonus

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCPowercat wrote: Man I am sad I missed these shobogens (sp?) When they were there. I guess now I don't miss them though so that's a bonus
A Sheboygan and a Boulevard pale ale can make even a Scott Elarton start seem like pure heaven.

shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

OK so I've been to 4 games, and I won't get into my feelings about the new stuff since I worked there for 6 seasons and feel like I'm suffering from old manism (can I change my screen name to Sir Buzz Killington). But i do have one legitimate complaint. I have taken my 4 year old daughter to 3 games (and yes she will sit and watch a whole game) but she always get cotton candy and has to go wash her hands. There are only two family bathrooms on the main level and all three times we have gone to one there has been a couple of father/daughter or Mother/sons waiting, for-ev-er. And ever time out walks some drunk dude that apparently wanted some privacy.

Can we assign two ushers to keep and eye on these two bathrooms so they are not monopolized by the shy bladders, the overindulgers and the amorous adventurers? The one time I waited it out I wish I would have taken her to the mens room like before because the FREAKING MENS ROOM was cleaner than the family bathroom.

Hell they could sell cotton candy out front and act as a gatekeeper at the same time. Or these two locations would have been a good place for the other family stuff like lost and found, guest services and first aid.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

protip:  wet-naps for the cotton candy-sticky hands.  no lines.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

chrizow wrote: protip:  wet-naps for the cotton candy-sticky hands.  no lines.
Yeah I know. But I would actually have to remember to bring them. I
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

shinatoo wrote: Yeah I know. But I would actually have to remember to bring them. I
Somebody should patent a cotton candy stick with a wet nap packet pre-glued to the handle area. 
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Somebody should patent a cotton candy stick with a wet nap packet pre-glued to the handle area. 
Second great idea i've heard today.

First was down at Warensburg moving my son out one of the dads said they should build some mini storage units close by and charge 150
bucks for the summer................................................... The more I think about that one the more holes it has in it. But the wet nap in the cotton candy is great.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

I guess I don't really miss the brat option, because we make them while tailgating.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

chrizow wrote: luckily i like hot dogs and nachos.  50% of the reason why i was stoked to go to the game last night was so i could eat a hot dog and ballpark nachos with jalapenos. 
do they still serve the nachos in those lame clear plastic containers with the tiny little separate space for the cheese?
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah. For awhile they were serving a miniscule amount of chips in a paper container with cheese on top. Super ripoff I thought (although I do like the cheese on top)

Let me guess, st.l serves them different so that is the superior way?  :)

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCPowercat wrote: Yeah. For awhile they were serving a miniscule amount of chips in a paper container with cheese on top. Super ripoff I thought (although I do like the cheese on top)

They used to have two compartments for cheese at Kauffman. Now just one. What gives? The taxpayers subsidize your stadium and you skimp on nacho cheese? For shame!

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KCPowercat wrote: Yeah. For awhile they were serving a miniscule amount of chips in a paper container with cheese on top. Super ripoff I thought (although I do like the cheese on top)

All I know is the "StL way".  :P

Paper boats loaded with cheese and japs all over the top is best.    It's always best to have leftover cheese than to have no cheese and half the chips remaining. 
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze