NCAA, NIT, CBI, & CIT Tournaments?!?! Am I seeing this right?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

NCAA, NIT, CBI, & CIT Tournaments?!?! Am I seeing this right?

Post by im2kull »

We Now have 4 officially recognized and marketed post season tournaments?
1. The NCAA Tournament - (65 Teams)
2. The National Invitational (NIT) Tournament - (32 Teams)
3. The College Basketball Invitational (CBI) Tournament - (16 Teams)
4. The CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament (CIT) (16 Teams)

Anyone else think these tournaments are getting a little redicoulous?  I say we just add a round and double the tourny to 128 teams, that way we get in any team with even a remote chance of winning.  Thoughts?

Am I the only one who had no idea there was a CIT tourny this year?  The CBI started what...last year...now the CIT starts this year?  Whats next year hold in store?
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
jimb
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: NCAA, NIT, CBI, & CIT Tournaments?!?! Am I seeing this right?

Post by jimb »

This is the same world that has resulted in thirty-someodd college bowl games (at the FBS level).

The CBI and CIT are nice chances for some of those kids to keep playing, but no one pretends its a huge honor to be a part of them.  Reading the Wichita State boards (they won their opener in the CBI last night) even their most rabid fans see it for what it is - a chance to watch some more basketball in person (since the CBI does all their games at the schools in the tournament).

They are kind of silly tournaments, and other than the fans of the schools involved (and, apparently not always even them - witness the 1200 fans that turned up in Palo Alto for the Stanford-Boise State game last night) no one cares.  It's kind of like getting invited to the Kumquat Bowl - fun for the two teams involved, but that's it.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if 2011 finds us with neither of these tournaments still going.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

jimb wrote: It's kind of like getting invited to the Kumquat Bowl - fun for the two teams involved, but that's it.
Careful there, Notre Dame and their recruiting dept might take offense to that one!
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

While discovering these tournaments, at first I had the same feeling that you did, but after thinking about it, I came to two conclusions- one, Bill Snyder had said that the minor bowls were very helpful in helping K-State rise to prominence.  They allowed a school on the rise to see some postseason, getting the ability to practice a little bit longer, and have some tangible success while not yet being a top 25 school.  Also, with a lot of these schools, currently the pinnacle of their success would be to become cannon fodder for the UNCs of the world, with the hope of maybe throwing a scare into a 1 or 2 seed.  With the tournaments, they actually have the ability to end the season with a win.  The second thing is that, if there is really a market for these tournaments, its all good.  If there is not, they won't last long, and I wouldn't be surprised if they are not both around in 2010.