MU vs. KU - a sports competition that will determine superiority FOREVER!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: MU vs. KU - a sports competition that will determine superiority FOREVER!!!

Post by kcmetro »

AllThingsKC wrote: ^Whatever makes you feel better.

I'm telling you now, if MU loses to KU in a game like this in Lawrence, KU will storm the court.
How much would you like to wager?  I've been a KU fan my entire life, and I've NEVER seen the students rush the court (other than 15 freshman after the UT game in '02).  NEVER.
helloiambrad
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by helloiambrad »

kcmetro wrote: Look how many guests and new posters we have on here.  It's amazing how an MU victory over KU in basketball will bring all the Mizzou fans out of the woodwork.  Not often they get to come here to celebrate.  What is it?  A once in 4 year occurrence?  :lol:
Most Mizzou fans are probably out doing other, more productive things, as opposed to hanging out on a forum all night :-)
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

helloiambrad wrote: Most Mizzou fans are probably out doing other, more productive things, as opposed to hanging out on a forum all night :-)
not to mention most mu fans live in a state that has other things, performing arts, professional sports, entertainment districts, all kinds of options on the missouri side.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
helloiambrad
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by helloiambrad »

kcdcchef wrote: not to mention most mu fans live in a state that has other things, performing arts, professional sports, entertainment districts, all kinds of options on the missouri side.
...but Kansas has...the Overland Park Convention Center!
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

So, now that the game is over, that must mean that it's already been determined that MISSOURI is the vastly superior team FOREVER!!!!!!

The University that represents MY state is superior to the University that represents YOUR state!
KC is the way to be!
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

helloiambrad wrote: ...but Kansas has...the Overland Park Convention Center!
and that ball of twine.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

kcdcchef wrote: not to mention most mu fans live in a state that has other things, performing arts, professional sports, entertainment districts, all kinds of options on the missouri side.
I sure don't have anything better to do.  Sucks, but that is my social life these days.

That was one great game.  I don't think you can say that kansas was the "better team" despite leading the whole way.  They might have maintained a 3-11 point lead for most of the second half but the "better team" doesn't blow a 14 point halftime lead, and another double digit lead with <8 mins to go.  Honestly it was two teams that are at about the same talent level - potential sweet 16 teams that are a little better than what many thought/expected of them.

You have to give props to Missouri for not throwing in the towel despite an awful awful first half and two or three great answers to their attempts to come back early in the second half.  I fully expect the result to be different in Lawrence, home court is pretty much the difference between these two teams this year.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

shaffe wrote: I sure don't have anything better to do.  Sucks, but that is my social life these days.

That was one great game.  I don't think you can say that kansas was the "better team" despite leading the whole way.  They might have maintained a 3-11 point lead for most of the second half but the "better team" doesn't blow a 14 point halftime lead, and another double digit lead with <8 mins to go.  Honestly it was two teams that are at about the same talent level - potential sweet 16 teams that are a little better than what many thought/expected of them.

You have to give props to Missouri for not throwing in the towel despite an awful awful first half and two or three great answers to their attempts to come back early in the second half.  I fully expect the result to be different in Lawrence, home court is pretty much the difference between these two teams this year.
Yeah, they looked like they were pretty equal in all honesty.  I think MU could have made better decisions with their shot selection...definitely would have made it closer throughout the game IMO had they not been so impatient.  KU let the MU pressure get to them, and made some dumb turnovers.  Collins also missed a couple big free throws towards the end.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: Big 12 Basketball 2008

Post by Maitre D »

AllThingsKC wrote: Uh, the game is far from over so anything can happen, but it's halftime and KU leads by 14! 

The first half of this game sums up Mizzou athletics pretty well...

Missouri scored a season LOW 16 points in the first half.  And to add insult to injury, GARY PINKEL WAS CAUGHT PICKING HIS NOSE ON NATIONAL TV!!!
Building a 14-point lead: Free
Building a 14-point in the house of your enemy: Free
Having your biggest rival still beat you: PRICELES!

There are some things money can't buy, for everything else there's ROCK, CHALK, CHOKE!
So, now that the game is over, that must mean that it's already been determined that MISSOURI is the vastly superior team FOREVER!!!!!!

The University that represents MY state is superior to the University that represents YOUR state!

:lol: :lol:  Dude, are you on Lithium for those mood swings????  That's some roller-coaster you were on tonite man.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Maitre D wrote: :lol: :lol:  Dude, are you on Lithium for those mood swings????   That's some roller-coaster you were on tonite man.
LOL!  Well, I'm sure you can understand why - just look at Mizzou's performance.    :lol: :lol:  It was a roller-coaster of a night.

Anyway, I really did think that KU would win.  At halftime, I really thought that KU would just increase their lead.  Then, MU got to within 3 points 3 times in the 2nd half, only to have to KU get a 10 - 12 point lead again.  So, even with about 7:00 to go, I thought KU would win.  Things were not going MU's way at all.
KC is the way to be!
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

kcmetro wrote: Yeah, they looked like they were pretty equal in all honesty.  I think MU could have made better decisions with their shot selection...definitely would have made it closer throughout the game IMO had they not been so impatient.  KU let the MU pressure get to them, and made some dumb turnovers.  Collins also missed a couple big free throws towards the end.

Those are my exact 2 take-aways from this game as well.   I was really unimpressed by MU's terrible, terrible shot selection that entire game.   They'd cut it to 5 or so, then take some wild baseline jumper with 25 seconds on the clock.   I'll be interested to see if Anderson can win consistently with that helter-skelter play with no discipline.  

Fact:  DeMarre Carroll's hustle & will singlehandedly saved ol' Coach tonite.

Sherron pretty much flopped the last 5min.  The 2 late missed FT were inexcusable, esp for an 85% shooter.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

It was a good game to watch.

would have been better at AFH though but it prolly won't happen.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Maitre D wrote:
.   I'll be interested to see if Anderson can win consistently with that helter-skelter play with no discipline.  
mizzou is winning a lot of games this season like this. doesnt translate into any march success, for sure. i am hoping the run of luck continues, but if not, it is still good for recruiting, and anyone that knows college hoops can clearly see anderson is proving he can coach. and building a program.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

The "helter skelter play with no discipline" is actually far from the norm so far this year.  There have been times they've played poorly, but for the most part they've played very well in the half court set.  The passing has been the best I've seen in years and the shot selection is usually pretty good (getting the layups and free throws to fall is a whole different story).

Tonight it was very obvious that most of the players for Mizzou had all of two experiences with a "season defining" game, and has blown them both (Illinois, @Nebraska to open the conference season).  Combine that with the most intense environment they had played in all year, and they rushed things way too much.  Kids tend to do that, and hopefully they can learn to play slower in big games from here on out.

It also didn't help that Bad Leo showed up for the first 30 mins of the game and Lawrence couldn't get Morningstar off of him.
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

kcdcchef wrote: mizzou is winning a lot of games this season like this. doesnt translate into any march success, for sure. i am hoping the run of luck continues, but if not, it is still good for recruiting, and anyone that knows college hoops can clearly see anderson is proving he can coach. and building a program.
I would hardly call it a "run of luck".  Other than maybe the Texas game we really have not won any other games like this.  We have done to most teams what Kansas did to us for 35 minutes tonight, except we have been able to close the deal (save the first game of the season against Xavier).  

I give a lot of credit to the KU defense, I would almost argue their D is actually better this year than last which is saying a lot.  Nevertheless our offense was awful most of the night and especially in the first half.  The shot selection was bad, but even when we had good looks were laying bricks.  We will not shoot that poorly on most nights and to pull out a win regardless of that awful first half is an amazing feat in itself.
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

Did anyone listen to the postgame show on 810?  I heard a little bit of it and Clinkscale made reference to a shouting match between Lew Perkins and Mike Alden after the game.  Did anyone else hear about it?
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

jlbomega wrote: a shouting match between Lew Perkins and Mike Alden after the game.
That would be awesome.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Big 12 Basketball 2008

Post by Highlander »

bobbyhawks wrote: Probability one of the Morris twins gets into or is involved in a fight: 51%.

If MU shoots 40% or better from 3, MU 84 to KU 80.

If KU shoots 45% or better from the field, KU 76 to MU 71

If neither or both happen, its anyone's guess. (not that mine have any basis or significance)
Well you were right, the team that shot better from the 3-point line won.  Only it was Mizzou .143 to KU .125.  Both teams defend the 3 very well.  Kind of surprised that Aldrich was pretty much held in check because Mizzou has let the big guys score almost at will all year.  Sounded like a good game, I guess I'll watch it tonight afterall. 
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

MU was outrebounded 48-28 and shot 35%/14%.    Kansas turned it over 27x and had 1 basket the final 8min.

That game was just gross to watch.  I wonder what the outsiders around the country thought of the play.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Here were my thoughts. I have really only seen both ku and mu play the one time vs. Ksu.

- I agree with the ku fans. Those shots were horrible. Players should be benched for throwing up trash like that.

- which ever morris shouldered the ref?? Wow. Classy.

- scared sherron was off last night for saturday.

-  mu has a complete lack of scorers...they require those TO for easy baskets.

- that floor rush was embarassing MU. I was almost scared for Mdetro that it wasn't going to happen.

- why are slow small white players the only ones ever described as 'error free' and 'extra effort' guys?

- I like what I saw regarding ku's handling of pressure.

- ku. That was a meltdown.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc