The rest of the NFL

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: The rest of the NFL

Post by KCMax »

NFL is considering eliminating PATs. Every TD would be 7 points, but teams would have the option of going for an 8th point. I think that's actually kinda silly, why not make every team go for 2?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I think points-after should be determined by arbitrary feats of skill or strength. Say, if the entire 52-man roster can form a giant cheerleader pyramid in less than 45 seconds, that's worth 12 points. If Wes Welker can defeat Ed Hochuli in an arm wrestling match, then Denver gets 2 points. So much more entertaining.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

bobbyhawks wrote:
shinatoo wrote:"High" time Colorado and Washington meet in the Super Bowl.
I guess all of their fans play for the "chiefs" now.
I don't get it.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

shinatoo wrote:
bobbyhawks wrote:
shinatoo wrote:"High" time Colorado and Washington meet in the Super Bowl.
I guess all of their fans play for the "chiefs" now.
I don't get it.
cheefs/chiefs
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

mean wrote:The guy is a brilliant dude in general, and a hell of a smart football player. I could hardly listen to 610 yesterday, with the fill-ins for the day show just ranting about Sherman. One guy called in and claimed he told his son Sherman was his favorite player right before the outburst, then immediately retracted it. What!? Because he didn't give a bullshit, "We sportsed better than the other team sportsed on this day, they are a good sportsing team but we just outsportsed them." answer? C'maaahn!

"Making it about himself." I'm not even sure what that means, but it sure pisses off media commentators. Personally, I think it's a stupid, meaningless phrase. And who makes it about one player more than the media? BRADY VS MANNING OMG! Hypocrites.

Richard Sherman is so much smarter than the people talking shit about him that it's laughable.
I totally agree, i think it was kind of racist how some people took it. My buddy immediately text me that Sherman is a ghetto thug. I think it was a rather refreshing interview
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Yeah. It wasn't the most sportsmanlike thing, but sportsmanlike is pretty boring. There's a reason pro wrestling is popular and it isn't because the fights are particularly interesting.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

No disrespect to WWF, but I don't want the NFL going (farther) down that road.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

brewcrew1000 wrote:I think people are going overboard on this Sherman story. It sucks people have to call him a thug and fool for doing that but didn't Muhammad Ali say the same kind of stuff before a boxing match and he is regarded as a role model and inspiration.
A few things about Ali. For the most part he did back up what he said. And boxing is a one-on-one sport so it is a lot more individual whereas football is a team sport. Could also include Ali spoke English that most understood and wasn't screaming and loud. Ad he had Howard Cosell on his side. But not everyone considered him a role model especially during his career. It was mostly after his career when many changed their perceptions of him.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
brewcrew1000 wrote:I think people are going overboard on this Sherman story. It sucks people have to call him a thug and fool for doing that but didn't Muhammad Ali say the same kind of stuff before a boxing match and he is regarded as a role model and inspiration.
A few things about Ali. For the most part he did back up what he said. And boxing is a one-on-one sport so it is a lot more individual whereas football is a team sport. Could also include Ali spoke English that most understood and wasn't screaming and loud. Ad he had Howard Cosell on his side. But not everyone considered him a role model especially during his career. It was mostly after his career when many changed their perceptions of him.
Being right about opposing the Vietnam War obviously helped our estimation of him, too. That and the fact that he kept beating guys who at the time were the personification of everything that made white America uneasy: first Liston, then Foreman. Fortunately for Ali we seemed to have formed our opinion of him before he called Frazier a gorilla.

As for Sherman, the really ugly racism that his outburst provoked has obscured the fact that the guy has a history of being a jerk.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

brewcrew1000 wrote:I think people are going overboard on this Sherman story. It sucks people have to call him a thug and fool for doing that but didn't Muhammad Ali say the same kind of stuff before a boxing match and he is regarded as a role model and inspiration. I think Erin Andrews was unprofessional in that interview and did not handle it well at all.

I think Joe Posanski wrote a good article on this subject http://joeposnanski.com/joeblogs/postgame/
Also here is a little background on Sherman if you didn't know http://www.huffingtonpost.com/isaac-sau ... 31980.html
I think Sherman is a very smart guy who is a fool. I know lots of people like that. Lots of brains, but can't handle themselves at times.

But I agree, some of the racist backlash was embarrassing.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Completely disagree that he's a fool in any way. He knew exactly what he was doing, he knew this was going to be a huge media story and that's exactly why he did it. You may not like his behavior, but that doesn't make it foolish.
Unknown JimmyD
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Unknown JimmyD »

i loved it when sherman spouted off in that postgame interview (for the hilarity), and i actually like hearing from him when he sounds like a normal human being. in general though, that style of loud arrogance is a turn-off for me, and i get why people reacted negatively to it (racism not excused, but entirely expected in the age of twatter and the interwebs). that said, i'm SO tired of the story now. then again, this happens every year when espn builds up to a big event. anything and everything newsworthy, and many things un-newsworthy, are driven into the ground with ceaseless coverage. i'm ready for the super bowl to be over already. 'course, then espn will just turn to nba talk/coverage 100% of the time... which makes me regret wanting to move on from sherman and the super bowl.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

anyone watch the Pro Bowl ? Hate the new format, crappy uniforms, Kc qb with 2 KC Chiefs on defense.

FAIL!!!!
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCKev wrote:anyone watch the Pro Bowl ? Hate the new format, crappy uniforms, Kc qb with 2 KC Chiefs on defense.

FAIL!!!!
I watched a little bit of it. It was 10x better than last year's pro bowl, which isn't saying a whole lot, but the players were trying as hard in that game as I can remember.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

I just don't like players from the same teams on offence and defense playing against each other is a lineman going to rush that hard when his teams QB is playing?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

The NFL Pro Bowl is just a step above professional wrestling.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Michael Sam selected by the Rams in the 7th round.

My favorite tweet was something to the effect of "St. Louis is a good place for him, they won't care about his sexual orientation. All that matters is which high school he went to."
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Michael Sam's boyfriend comes from a Kansas City mob family.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... riend.html
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Guess I do not know what the big deal is. I guess guilt by blood or heritage. Are they afraid of Sam fixing the games for the mob?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Minneapolis will host Super Bowl LII in 2018.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... -minnesota

BUT KC NEEDS A ROOF!