Big 12 Basketball 2008

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Big 12 Basketball 2008

Post by jlbomega »

WSPanic wrote: From the talk coming out of Alabama, that's exactly what they're planning to do. Not that any of it is realistic, but they were talking Izzo early on (never happen IMO). I heard that Alabama was willing to go $2+ million for this hire. Not saying they will for Anderson - just that they're looking to buy their way to credibility with a "name" coach (most likely with $$ generated by Seaban being there).
Izzo is a total pipe dream for Alabama.  That conversation is likely being driven by the same types of boosters than claimed we were talking to Mark Few after we canned Quin Snyder. 
LenexatoKCMO wrote: I still don't see much practical upside in the move for him other than the geographic roots but I keep hearing rumblings that it is supposedly a done deal. 
Who has said this is a "done deal"?  Is this the same "done deal" that was bringing Mike Shanahan to the Chiefs?  The 'Bama boards are almost completely focused on Calipari, Izzo, Bob Knight, and a rumor that the Miami coach is in the mix now. 
Last edited by jlbomega on Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

jlbomega wrote: Who has said this is a "done deal"?  Is this the same "done deal" that was bringing Mike Shanahan to the Chiefs?  The 'Bama boards are almost completely focused on Calipari, Izzo, Bob Knight, and a rumor that the Miami coach is in the mix now. 
Bringing in Mike Anderson means bringing in a particular system and from what I have heard, all message board hearsay, the Alabama AD is not all that enamored with Anderson's system.  While that is hearsay, I would not doubt of that is the case simply because not everyone is going to go for that system. 
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

jlbomega wrote: Izzo is a total pipe dream for Alabama.  That conversation is likely being driven by the same types of boosters than claimed we were talking to Mark Few after we canned Quin Snyder. 

Who has said this is a "done deal"?  Is this the same "done deal" that was bringing Mike Shanahan to the Chiefs?  The 'Bama boards are almost completely focused on Calipari, Izzo, Bob Knight, and a rumor that the Miami coach is in the mix now. 

Well Mike Anderson is certainly a more realistic hire than Izzo or Calipari (can't believe those guys are even being mentioned).  Not sure about Knight.  It seems he's getting up there in age, so I don't know why any school would want to hire him right now, other than for the small amount of publicity he would create for the program.  Plus, who wants to play for Knight these days? 
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

kcmetro wrote: Not sure about Knight.  It seems he's getting up there in age, so I don't know why any school would want to hire him right now, other than for the small amount of publicity he would create for the program.  Plus, who wants to play for Knight these days? 
You obviously are out of touch with reality.

Ex. Joe Pa! Who's Jo Pa?!?!?
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

im2kull wrote: You obviously are out of touch with reality.

Ex. Joe Pa! Who's Jo Pa?!?!?
Joe Pa needs to call it quits too.

As for Knight, he hasn't produced a decent team in more than a decade.  He might create a media buzz at his next coaching gig, but he's not going to resurrect any basketball programs anytime soon (like never).  His coaching style isn't going to bring in top recruits...the kind of recruits a guy like Self or Cal can bring in.  He benefited greatly from coaching in Indiana, where there was no shortage of "yes sir" boys who had no problem playing for the "general".
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

kcmetro wrote: Joe Pa needs to call it quits too.

As for Knight, he hasn't produced a decent team in more than a decade.  He might create a media buzz at his next coaching gig, but he's not going to resurrect any basketball programs anytime soon (like never).  His coaching style isn't going to bring in top recruits...the kind of recruits a guy like Self or Cal can bring in.  He benefited greatly from coaching in Indiana, where there was no shortage of "yes sir" boys who had no problem playing for the "general".
You know what...Your KU bias is getting awfully old.  Time to wake up buddy.  It doesn't matter if the old man can still coach or not, his signing with any team instantly makes them a contender in scouting, signing, and winning.  You don't become the winningest NCAA Div 1 mens basketball coach by hanging out on internet forums declaring people like Jo Pa and Bob Knight nothing more than old farts.  How many Div 1 wins do you have?
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

im2kull wrote: You know what...Your KU bias is getting awfully old.  Time to wake up buddy.  It doesn't matter if the old man can still coach or not, his signing with any team instantly makes them a contender in scouting, signing, and winning.  You don't become the winningest NCAA Div 1 mens basketball coach by hanging out on internet forums declaring people like Jo Pa and Bob Knight nothing more than old farts.  How many Div 1 wins do you have?
Wow.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

kcmetro wrote: ...the kind of recruits a guy like Self or Cal can bring in.  He benefited greatly from coaching in Indiana, where there was no shortage of "yes sir" boys who had no problem playing for the "general".
Let's borrow a quote from you...
kcmetro wrote: Wow.
Did I miss something?
THINK (ONE) KC.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Back to the real topic...Big 12 Bball...

Any thoughts on Baylor winning their first rounder in the NIT against Georgetown tonight?  What about the other big 12 teams...are they doing well? I know Nebraska lost to New Mexico yesterday in the NIT, but what about the CBI and CIT tournys?
Last edited by im2kull on Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THINK (ONE) KC.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

K State won their NIT opener today in OT.
THINK (ONE) KC.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

im2kull wrote: It doesn't matter if the old man can still coach or not, his signing with any team instantly makes them a contender in scouting, signing, and winning. 
Indiana was not competitive his last six years. He accomplished nothing at Texas Tech in seven years (tied for 3rd in conference with somone else's players and one sweet sixteen). That's 13 years of poor performance. How many NBA players did he recruit to Tech? Pretty sure Andre Emmit still plays somewhere. Who else? And he's almost 70 years old. It would be absolutely shocking if he had any sort of success in coaching ever again.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

WSPanic wrote: Indiana was not competitive his last six years. He accomplished nothing at Texas Tech in seven years (tied for 3rd in conference with somone else's players and one sweet sixteen). That's 13 years of poor performance. How many NBA players did he recruit to Tech? Pretty sure Andre Emmit still plays somewhere. Who else? And he's almost 70 years old. It would be absolutely shocking if he had any sort of success in coaching ever again.
Regardless he fielded winning teams that made it to the tournament on a consistent basis.  That's my point.  I could care less about everything else, as I'm sure even Kentucky would agree.
THINK (ONE) KC.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

im2kull wrote: Regardless he fielded winning teams that made it to the tournament on a consistent basis.  That's my point.  I could care less about everything else, as I'm sure even Kentucky would agree.
Then why didn't you agree with my analysis?  It was the exact same as WSPanic's.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kcmetro wrote: Joe Pa needs to call it quits too.

Seemed like at Tech he was really relying heavily on an Eastern European pipeline of players - I am not sure what the recruiting tie is, but even up through this year there is hardly a player on the Tech roster without a Slavic last name. 
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

im2kull wrote: Regardless he fielded winning teams that made it to the tournament on a consistent basis.  That's my point.  I could care less about everything else, as I'm sure even Kentucky would agree.
I would think that Kentucky would not agree.  They will not be happy with a has been, regardless of his past greatness and the promise of getting back into the tourney, they will believe themselves to be a bigger program than that and set their sites higher, for a current or future great coach who will get them to the final four.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

kcmetro wrote: Then why didn't you agree with my analysis?  It was the exact same as WSPanic's.
I didn't agree with WSPanics, so what's your point?
THINK (ONE) KC.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

kcmetro wrote: Well Mike Anderson is certainly a more realistic hire than Izzo or Calipari (can't believe those guys are even being mentioned).  Not sure about Knight.  It seems he's getting up there in age, so I don't know why any school would want to hire him right now, other than for the small amount of publicity he would create for the program.  Plus, who wants to play for Knight these days? 
So much of what people repeat is heresay and internet gibberish.  I really doubt if Alabama is going to spend two million on a coach as posted numerous times on the net.  What is probably true is that Alabama has its eyes set on another coach anyway......

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9372 ... ut-opening
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Highlander wrote: So much of what people repeat is heresay and internet gibberish.  I really doubt if Alabama is going to spend two million on a coach as posted numerous times on the net.  What is probably true is that Alabama has its eyes set on another coach anyway......

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9372 ... ut-opening
Good point. But, I think the talk of Alabama willing to spend money for a coach is more than just internet chatter. Kevin Harlan said as much on 810 a few weeks ago - as have others with more credibility than internet chatrooms.

Maybe it's not $2 Million, but they probably do have enough to outspend Mizzou. How high would MU got to keep him - $1.5 million?

As mentioned in the article - Anthony Grant is a great choice for AL. But, he's also a great choice for Virginia. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out with UVA, Georgia and Alabama.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

WSPanic wrote: Good point. But, I think the talk of Alabama willing to spend money for a coach is more than just internet chatter. Kevin Harlan said as much on 810 a few weeks ago - as have others with more credibility than internet chatrooms.

Maybe it's not $2 Million, but they probably do have enough to outspend Mizzou. How high would MU got to keep him - $1.5 million?

As mentioned in the article - Anthony Grant is a great choice for AL. But, he's also a great choice for Virginia. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out with UVA, Georgia and Alabama.

Frankly I would rather coach at Alabama than Virginia or Georgia.  Georgia has never been a player in college basketball (unless they have a cheat as their coach).  Virginia is in the hyper competitive ACC so you are already fighting an uphill battle there.  The SEC is like the entry level of BCS conferences.  If you really are a great coach you can run to the top of that conference in a hurry.

What people are not talking about regarding Anderson is the amount of money it would take to get him from Mizzou.  To break his contract Anderson (or the hiring school) would have to pay Mizzou nearly $2 million.  Plus, if Alabama is going to pay $2 million per year I imagine Anderson would want at least a five year deal to go along with it.  So... it would cost Alabama (or anyone else) $12 million to get Anderson. 

No way Georgia is going to pony up that kind of cash.  Alabama might pay it, but they also have to overcome what Mizzou would be willing to pay by a lot.  Anderson busted his ass to get this program off of the doormat.  This freshman class will be the foundation of a lot of good years at Mizzou.  Leaving for Alabama would be starting from scratch, again.  No guarantee he can get Alabama to a Sweet 16 and Conference Championship of any kind in that time period.

That being said.  I don't think Anderson was even in Alabama's top 5 when Gottfried was fired.  I read an article that said some people with the UA system were upset over the way Anderson left UAB (didn't say specifically why anyone was upset) and his first two years at Mizzou were not that great.  However, now things have changed a lot and I am sure Anderson is high on their list.  The question is will they give pony up $12 million for Anderson when they can get Grant or some other up and comer for a lot less.  Grant was the first name I saw associated with that job a few months ago, I imagine it ends up being Grant.
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

No mention of Baylor in NYC?

This team is tough..  I wonder how they would've done in the dance?

Also makes you wonder..  What the heck happened to this team during league play?