Big 12 Football 2008

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Big 12 Football 2008

Post by NDTeve »

The definition of super bowl was K-State's basketball win over KU in Manhattan last year. That being said...they should have treated it that way and got excited in the manner they did.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yes, I would agree that was the super bowl of KSU's 2007-08 basketball season.  Beating an undefeated, eventual champ, at home was the biggest win of the season.

USC was 2nd IMO.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: simple

Post by kcmetro »

Maitre D wrote: Denigrating KU football has always been a tricky proposition for Tiggerfan.   If they win, it means nothing and if they lose, well:  it's a disaster!

Like last year:  if they say KU sucked, then they denigrate the biggest win (highest ranked opponent) Pinkel has had in 8 years there.    Slippery slope if ever there was one.
It's fun to watch them tip toe around it though.  Never know what they think on the topic.  It changes day by day. "KU sucks!"  Then the next day they're gloating about a victory over the Hawks.  Makes no sense.

With KU fans, we give MU their props when it's deserved.  Nothing wrong with admitting a rival team is good, but jlb & co. have trouble admitting such things when it comes to KU.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

pot meet kettle.

kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat wrote: pot meet kettle.
Care to elaborate?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KU fans change their tunes when they talk about their "rivals" as well, never know what to think.  It changes day to day.

Flights booked to Phoenix yet?

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

kcmetro wrote: Care to elaborate?
He's just flaming again.   As to why he's still on this board as much as he is, given his team's embarrassing season?   That one does baffle me.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat wrote: KU fans change their tunes when they talk about their "rivals" as well, never know what to think.  It changes day to day.

Flights booked to Phoenix yet?
IDK.  I think all KU fans can agree that we currently have one rival in football - MU.

In basketball, I'd say UT is about as close as it comes at the moment.  Just depends on the season though.  OSU at one time was probably our biggest bball rival.  MU back in the day too.  KSU, well, I'm not sure of the last time they were our rival.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

My team took care of the problem that made for that embarrassing season.....KU gave an extension to the reason they are sitting 7-5 and 3rd place in a horrible north....what a one year dynasty it was though.

All of us do the same thing Metro described, it's not just MU fans talking about KU.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

kcmetro wrote: IDK.  I think all KU fans can agree that we currently have one rival in football - MU.

In basketball, I'd say UT is about as close as it comes at the moment.  Just depends on the season though.  OSU at one time was probably our biggest bball rival.  MU back in the day too.  KSU, well, I'm not sure of the last time they were our rival.
where the heck are we talking about who you consider a rival team?  You were talking about how MU fans change their tune about KU all the time....KU fans do the same thing towards MU and KSU.

You are learning topic redirection well from your boy.

jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

NDTeve wrote: Maybe. But at least he didn't go to a 2nd tier program with no tradition or hopes of ever winning anything of significance. Like Mizzou.
:lol:  ND could only dream of being half the program Mizzou... or Kansas for that matter is right now.  At least when Kansas backs into a BCS bowl they are able to win, ND just gets blown out like a bunch of clowns. 
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

kcmetro wrote: IDK.  I think all KU fans can agree that we currently have one rival in football - MU.

IMO, Mizzou and KSU (to a lesser degree) far outpace anyone in football.  Mizzou bigger than KSU.

In basketball, it's obviously national peers since none reside in our conference.  UNC, Duke, UCLA & Kentucky based on nothing more than overall success and recruiting battles.

Texas is getting warmer as a conf rival.....but they've had 1 FF in their history.  They are 0-6 at our place and 0-3 in the last three neutrals, so they're hardly peers.    They're recruiting quite well right now and they have (1) money (2) fertile state and (3) good coach.  They missed a golden opportunity in 2006 when they were a #2 seed but lost to LSU in the Elite 8 in overtime.

They could've won that Final Four, with their talent that season (Aldridge, Gibson, Tucker, Abrams, on and on.  Damn good team)
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

jlbomega wrote: :lol:  ND could only dream of being half the program Mizzou... or Kansas for that matter is right now.  At least when Kansas backs into a BCS bowl they are able to win, ND just gets blown out like a bunch of clowns. 
Enjoy your 2 year "domination" of the Big XII North. Douche.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

NDTeve wrote: Enjoy your 2 year and counting "domination" of the Big XII North. Douche.
Fixed it for you.  Good chance KU is already eliminated from contention by Arrowhead again next year.
kcmetro wrote: With KU fans, we give MU their props when it's deserved.  Nothing wrong with admitting a rival team is good, but jlb & co. have trouble admitting such things when it comes to KU.
:lol:  Since when has KU given Mizzou "props" for anything.  What a freaking joke.  I said that KU deserved to win the game Saturday, your team clearly wanted it more.  I even gave you props for getting third place in the division and a bid to the Insight.com Bowl.  Do you get the NFL Network KC??
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Sounds like ISU will be putting Chizik squarely on the hot seat next year - they just demoted both primary coordinators and fired two other assistants. 
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Maitre D wrote: He's just flaming again.   As to why he's still on this board as much as he is, given his team's embarrassing season?   That one does baffle me.
5-7 = embarrassing. 7-5 = strong season from a good program. Got it. Good thing you guys beat ISU and MU in the last minute, otherwise your season would've gotten embarrassing pretty fast.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: 5-7 = embarrassing. 7-5 = strong season from a good program. Got it. Good thing you guys beat ISU and MU in the last minute, otherwise your season would've gotten embarrassing pretty fast.

52-21.
- Mark Twain
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: 5-7 = embarrassing. 7-5 = strong season from a good program. Got it. Good thing you guys beat ISU and MU in the last minute, otherwise your season would've gotten embarrassing pretty fast.

So many errors, the most obvious one being:  we're going bowling and you're not.    :lol:  

-Gap would be 8-4 vs. 4-8 if we got ATM on our schedule vs. Texas - like you did;
-We beat both our rivals, you got smashed by yours (down 31-0 by halftime).  
-KSU:  0-9 vs.  KU-MU-NEB the past 3 years.  
-Worst defense in conf at 533ypg allowed.
-Sagarin of 35 KU, vs 78 KSU.    Narrow gap eh?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt08.htm

TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Maitre D wrote:
So many errors, the most obvious one being:  we're going bowling and you're not.    :lol:  
Oh, the free market can have as many crap bowls as they can. I'm just pointing out that they're meaningless, and driven by ESPN and overpaid AD/Coaches.

Hey, beanie babies sell in the free market, too.   I think those are just as lame.
I already said, the Big 12 should have 4 bowl games.   BCS, Cotton, Holiday, Alamo.   1/2 of the time they'll get 2 BCS teams in.   That's enough.   All good bowls in good warm-weather destinations.
But good teams actually play in those top tier bowls.  Good teams don't play in the Texas Motor City Jerk-me-off Bowl.
Clearly you think lower tier bowls are meaningless and shouldn't even exist so why are you pointing out that you made one?
Maitre D wrote: -Gap would be 8-4 vs. 4-8 if we got ATM on our schedule vs. Texas - like you did;
I love how we weren't allowed to talk about KU's schedule last year but now everytime someone brings up KU's lackluster season this year, you automatically bring up any minor schedule discrepancy. And, are you sure you would've won AT A&M? Your only road win was squeaking by against Iowa State who couldn't manage one conference win. A&M won by 2 touchdowns at Iowa State.
Maitre D wrote: -We beat both our rivals, you got smashed by yours (down 31-0 by halftime).  
Maybe that makes 7-5 look shiny and pretty to KU fans but that's pretty much meaningless outside this area.

Maitre D wrote: -KSU:  0-9 vs.  KU-MU-NEB the past 3 years.  
5-7 vs 7-5 has what to do with 2 years ago? We fired the guy that lost those games. Do you understand that?
Maitre D wrote: -Worst defense in conf at 533ypg allowed.
At least we never gave up over 60 points at home.

KU: 7th in conference - 31.4 ppg
KSU: 8th in conference - 28.9 ppg

Way to separate yourself
Maitre D wrote: -Sagarin of 35 KU, vs 78 KSU.    Narrow gap eh?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt08.htm
What is your obsession with sagarin? There are other polls out there.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Clearly you think lower tier bowls are meaningless and shouldn't even exist so why are you pointing out that you made one?
I really don't think bowls lower than Alamo are worth much, but I'll say that KU's schedule was pretty damn hard to get 7 wins out of.  Swap out just one of the Big 3 in the South, and we're probably 8-4 and at the Alamo.

I love how we weren't allowed to talk about KU's schedule last year but now everytime someone brings up KU's lackluster season this year, you automatically bring up any minor schedule discrepancy.

I love it too!  You can't stand when KU fans throw the "schedule" argument back at your faces.  But fair is fair.

And, are you sure you would've won AT A&M? Your only road win was squeaking by against Iowa State who couldn't manage one conference win. A&M won by 2 touchdowns at Iowa State.

We did this last year when discussing what 2007 KU would've done vs. 2007 OU/Tex/Tech.  And you rejected that argument, so I'll reject yours here.

5-7 vs 7-5 has what to do with 2 years ago? We fired the guy that lost those games. Do you understand that?

Posting this year's record (which isn't close by the way) infers that this season is what got Prince canned, while Mangino is rewarded thanks to low expectations at KU.  Fact is, the actual differences in the 2 programs and their future direction, is night & day.