Big 12 Football 2008

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Big 12 Football 2008

Post by KCPowercat »

Totally agree, you just putting the incorrect team is in the "night" part of that analogy. 
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat wrote: Totally agree, you just putting the incorrect team is in the "night" part of that analogy. 
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Totally agree, you just putting the incorrect team is in the "night" part of that analogy. 
With that record-breakingly bad defense, piss poor recruiting class, and thin returning talent, I can see exactly why you would feel so puffy.  &&&&

How are they going to be able to afford to pay Snyder's contract when he breaks the bank buying their way out of all the big matchups Prince has lined up and the ISU/Arrowhead deal?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They are calling to buy us out.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Maitre D wrote: I really don't think bowls lower than Alamo are worth much, but I'll say that KU's schedule was pretty damn hard to get 7 wins out of.   Swap out just one of the Big 3 in the South, and we're probably 8-4 and at the Alamo.
And replace Oklahoma with Baylor and we get another win. And, you're not beating Oklahoma State anywhere this year. Sorry. And, I don't know if you can win at A&M or Baylor. They'd be close. So, yes, if you get A&M or Baylor at home, you'd pick up a win, but that's asking quite a bit, don't you think?
Maitre D wrote: I love it too!   You can't stand when KU fans throw the "schedule" argument back at your faces.   But fair is fair.
LOL. The difference being that you have a slightly higher than average schedule this year and incredibly lower than average schedule last year. Yes, you played the Big 3 in the South but that was only 3 games. You lost to 8-4 Nebraska and 7-4 South Florida, not exactly heavy weights.
Maitre D wrote: We did this last year when discussing what 2007 KU would've done vs. 2007 OU/Tex/Tech.  And you rejected that argument, so I'll reject yours here.
cite? Why would I have rejected that argument? KU would've lost to all 3.
Maitre D wrote: Posting this year's record (which isn't close by the way) infers that this season is what got Prince canned, while Mangino is rewarded thanks to low expectations at KU.   Fact is, the actual differences in the 2 programs and their future direction, is night & day.
Not close? Mizzou runs 2 running plays for zero yards instead of 2 incomplete passes, runs a minute off the clock, they win, KU 6-6. K-State's offensive line doesn't commit 2 penalties in the final drive against Colorado, we get a field goal, K-State is 6-6. Seems pretty close.

So, again: 5-7 = embarrassing, worthy of firing a coach. 7-5 = this program is night & day better than the 5-7 program, even though we were just a few plays away from having the same record
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

I was rooting for KU against MU, but i'll be rooting for MU against OU.  Should be interesting.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:
LOL. The difference being that you have a slightly higher than average schedule this year and incredibly lower than average schedule last year. Yes, you played the Big 3 in the South but that was only 3 games. You lost to 8-4 Nebraska and 7-4 South Florida, not exactly heavy weights.
Don't forget the win they squeeked out in Ames this yeaer... I totally blew his schedule arguement out of the water in the other football thread.  It is absurd to argue that their schedule caused them to not win the Big 12 North this year.  Any possible tie breaker that you could use after throwing out MU, KU, and NU's south schedule would still put MU in the Big 12 Championship game.

Fact is...  KU barely beat ISU and Mizzou, lost to Nebraska, took three quarters to separte themselves from a terrible CU team at home, and blew out KSU.  The only impressive games this year KU played were against KSU and Mizzou (obvoius what really matters to KU fans).  They damn near blew a 16 point halftime lead to Mizzou. 

But if you listen to KU fans, they are in the drivers seat for the North next year (eventhough their shitty defense is going to get worse and they still have to find a way to beat the "big 3" which has never happened under Mangino) :lol:
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

Very telling stat on Mizzou's defense this year....

In the Big 12, MU's third-down conversion rate ranks eighth overall and eighth in conference play. Nationally, the Tigers are No. 89 in that category. That's the worst third-down conversion rate on defense for all bowl-eligible teams from BCS conferences. Only six bowl eligible teams have a worse rate: BYU, Central Michigan, Rice, Buffalo, Colorado State and Navy.

http://blogs.columbiatribune.com/football/

Aparently even when we hold on third down we find a way to blow it on fourth down  :lol:
Last edited by jlbomega on Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: And replace Oklahoma with Baylor and we get another win. And, you're not beating Oklahoma State anywhere this year. Sorry. And, I don't know if you can win at A&M or Baylor. They'd be close. So, yes, if you get A&M or Baylor at home, you'd pick up a win, but that's asking quite a bit, don't you think?

Your logic is way off here.  We both played Tech and OU.  The difference maker is you got ATM while we got Texas.  That's a clear +1 win advantage for KSU via the schedule.  Is this hard for you to follow?

cite? Why would I have rejected that argument? KU would've lost to all 3.
KSU won at Austin last year, I'm pretty sure KU would've beaten them if your clown-show could.

So, again: 5-7 = embarrassing, worthy of firing a coach. 7-5 = this program is night & day better than the 5-7 program, even though we were just a few plays away from having the same record
"A few plays away" from KU - this is awesome.  Down 31-0 at half buddy boy.  Just keep that in mind.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Maitre D wrote: Your logic is way off here.  We both played Tech and OU.   The difference maker is you got ATM while we got Texas.   That's a clear +1 win advantage for KSU via the schedule.   Is this hard for you to follow?
Once again, you try to call someone out for not following, when you're the one not following. It's not a clear +1 because if we say both teams play AT A&M, I'm saying KU doesn't win that game for sure (KU barely beat Iowa State the week before). And, I'd say if both teams played Texas, K-State would probably lose but Ron Prince is 2-0 against Texas so who knows?
Maitre D wrote: KSU won at Austin last year, I'm pretty sure KU would've beaten them if your clown-show could.
That's some logic for ya. K-State was the only team to win in Austin last year. Just because K-State did something doesn't mean KU automatically can. How is this a hard concept? It's been proven over and over and over again. Just because team A beats team B and team B beats team C doesn't mean team A will beat team C.
Maitre D wrote: "A few plays away" from KU - this is awesome.   Down 31-0 at half buddy boy.   Just keep that in mind.
A few plays away from the same record. KU was the better team this year. That's not my point. My point is that there isn't a big difference, a difference for sure but not a big one. So, it doesn't make sense for you to call our season embarrassing but be proud of your season. Unless you're fine with being a little better than an embarrassing K-State team that was so bad the head coach was fired in the middle of the season.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: And, I'd say if both teams played Texas, K-State would probably lose
:lol: :lol:

A few plays away from the same record. KU was the better team this year. That's not my point. My point is that there isn't a big difference, a difference for sure but not a big one.

30.  Nebraska
35.  Kansas

51.  Duke  :P

64.  Baylor
70.  Wofford

78.  Kansas State

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt08.htm
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Maitre D wrote: 30.  Nebraska
35.  Kansas
78.  Kansas State
Look at the rating.

Once you get out of the Top 25, there isn't much difference until you get into the hundreds.

Oklahoma is at 94.92.
KU is at 77.8
K-State is at 68.68

KU is 17 points behind OU and only 9 ahead of K-State. Again, a few plays here, a few plays there, and they're probably ranked in the same place in the Sagarin. Once again proving my point.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

A few plays here....like, about 5 touchdowns in our matchup in Lawrence? 

TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Maitre D wrote: A few plays here....like, about 5 touchdowns in our matchup in Lawrence? 
Or 2 points against the worst team in the Big 12?
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Or 2 points against the worst team in the Big 12?
Ames is a tough place to play.  Just ask last year's OU team.
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

kcmetro wrote: Ames is a tough place to play.  Just ask last year's OU team.
Mizzou won 52-20 in Ames two weeks ago.... FYI.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

kcmetro wrote: Ames is a tough place to play.  Just ask last year's OU team.
Mizzou won by 32
A&M won by 14
Nebraska won by 28

Kansas won by 2
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Uh-oh!  OU is on the Cover of Sports Illustrated this week...

Perhaps the SI curse strikes yet again this week?
KC is the way to be!
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

jlbomega wrote: Mizzou won 52-20 in Ames two weeks ago.... FYI.
Yeah but they weren't playing this guy:

phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

Maitre D wrote: Yeah but they weren't playing this guy:

Point being that Daniels is worth 30 points over Reasing in a similar game?