Chiefs to rename Arrowhead Stadium

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Chiefs to rename Arrowhead Stadium

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat wrote: you speak for "a lot of Missourians" now?  I don't know one person in this metro that thought that would occur.
Don't play dumb, KCP.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Alright...keeping living 45 miles away from the metro and think you know the mentality of 55% of the metro's population.

Seriously.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat wrote: Alright...keeping living 45 miles away from the metro and think you know the mentality of 55% of the metro's population.

Seriously.
You don't think Grid, and others like him, were worried about losing the Chiefs to KS?  I know you and I didn't speak to every individual in the metro area, but you gotta be realistic...some people just didn't want to see the Chiefs playing ball on the KS side.  That's just common sense whether you or I heard anyone say it directly to us or not.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Would that then be the Kansas City's Chiefs?
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

The chiefs would NEVER move to the Kansas side.  We were quick to give renovation approval!
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

edwardsville chiefs! I'm tired of them wasting our space. We could bulldoze the stadiums and build a lifestyle shopping center...
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

kcmetro wrote: You don't think Grid, and others like him, were worried about losing the Chiefs to KS?  I know you and I didn't speak to every individual in the metro area, but you gotta be realistic...some people just didn't want to see the Chiefs playing ball on the KS side.  That's just common sense whether you or I heard anyone say it directly to us or not.
All I ever said was that it doesn't make sense to leave the TSC.  I know this is not comprehendible to you and MD, but I have explained why many times over.

Why is it the end of the world because the stadium(s) are not downtown? Or in some new suburban development?

Go to Glendale and tell me that location where the Cardinals play is any better than the TSC.  It's not.  It's still a giant dead stadium in a giant dead parking lot, only it's near a damn legends type development.  So what.  Like I said, during game, that retail area is probably dead as hell.  The stadiums in Dallas (Irving and Arlington) are the same way.

The arena in Glendale makes "more" sense, because it's used more often and is smaller so it doesn't totally destroy traffic, parking etc.  But they sure KC'd it up by building that arena in Glendale instead of in a more urban area.  Even Mesa would have been better than that.

So if it’s not going to get any better why leave one area and for another.  What a waste of money.  Why create so much blight and duplicate something we already have?

I didn't think the Chiefs would move to KS, but I did think that if we voted it down, it would give people more time to develop a plan to move them to Kansas.  Again, I don't care where the stadium is, I just didn't think it makes sense to move the NFL stadium from the TSC.  Be it Downtown, Lee's Summit or KCK.

The Royals did scare me.  I really thought we were about to loose the Royals if we didn't do something with the stadium.  A downtown stadium was not going to happen and we were just asking for trouble.  In hindsight, I might have overreacted.  But I thought the royals would move or be contracted if we didn't do something and I think the Royals are far more important to KC than the Chiefs, even right now.

And again, no way was a downtown stadium happening.

One more thing.  I wanted a downtown stadium as much as anybody.  Mostly because it would have helped KC show off its urban core to the rest of the country that has a “Kansas” impression of KC.  That's the primary reason.  I just wanted people to see our skyline for once.

Stadiums don't do anything for downtowns.  They really don't.  But KC is the one city that needed a stadium downtown to give the city a new image.

Wasn't going to happen though and I think we will end up with two of the nicest parks in the country, despite their location.

With or without a downtown stadium, KC still has a long way to go with downtown.  I don’t think a stadium would have helped it one way or the other.  One thing is for sure, surface parking would have become the most valuable investment in all of the Downtown/Crossroads area had we built a 40,000 seat stadium down there.

But every time I go to the park, I think about what it would be like to have the skyline of KCMO surrounding the park.

Every time.
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

KCKev wrote: Would that then be the Kansas City's Chiefs?
The Kansas City Chiefs of Kansas City
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

GRID wrote: But we don’t need a freaking massive, and I mean MASSIVE, chunk of blight along I-70. 
You mean you wouldn't want it to match the surrounding area?
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCPowercat wrote: I'll assume you are posting this to me.  I'm not justifying anything, I know exactly why I voted for Arrowhead renovations...it's a great stadium in a great location (for a football stadium) and needs upgraded... you trying to link the chiefs dive in salary to the renovation approval is retarded. 

Who are "the chiefs" that don't care about winning?  LJ?  Herm?  Carl?  Hunt?

Ahem.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

that's the answer to my question?  Who are "the chiefs" you were referring to is my only question...I didn't say I don't agree with you...please stop attempting to call out some personal little squabble at every turn you find one of my posts.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

One last time.

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCPowercat wrote: One last time.

One last time - you're seriously asking this question?  As if you really do'nt know the answer to the question?

Why don't you take a shot first at this one.  Then I'll take a shot. 
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

You stated the chiefs don't care about winning...I'm just asking who you are referring to.  yes I am asking the question, I can't read your mind to who you are referencing.

anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

What I can not figure out is why they can not put one of those lifestyle shopping centers on the grounds of TSC that would be built to both arrowhead and Kauffman stadiums. This would keep the area around the stadiums hopping even when there are no games. This is being done near Busch III in St Louis. This would make a downtown type of feel around the stadiums.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Welcome back annie.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Hey I've been busy
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
kanasalumn
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kanasalumn »

not sure if anyone came up with this b/c frankly i do not want to read all though the pages.

Carl Peterson Field at Arrowhead Stadium.    Then he will have anotehr excuse to raise tickets just so he can use that money for naming rights
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

As a sign of the times....

Bailout Ballpark.
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

Maitre D wrote:
Someone (can't recall where) wrote a column where he calculated the "bribery cost" of LA not having a team.   Essentially, numerous NFL teams have extracted HUGE cash from their homes by using LA as their threat.

It's actually been better for the NFL as a whole to NOT have a team there when you factor in the value of the threat!
I wonder what the bribery cost of the Sprint Center has and will have on the NHL.  That's an interesting angle.