Chiefs to rename Arrowhead Stadium

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Chiefs to rename Arrowhead Stadium

Post by mean »

Has a municipality ever bought naming rights? We could have the Overland Park, Kansas field at Arrowhead Stadium!
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

mean wrote: Has a municipality ever bought naming rights? We could have the Overland Park, Kansas field at Arrowhead Stadium!
And they could play this commercial during timeouts.  Talk about a city with an identity crisis!  :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF-QBAVRhoE
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

mean wrote: Has a municipality ever bought naming rights? We could have the Overland Park, Kansas field at Arrowhead Stadium!
And change the team colors to beige and mother of pearl?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KCMax wrote: And change the team colors to beige and mother of pearl?
Naw, Chiefs have to be red and gold. But we may be able to side the stadium in beige seamless vinyl.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

mean wrote: Naw, Chiefs have to be red and gold. But we may be able to side the stadium in beige seamless vinyl.
Just have them play on dead grass for the beige effect.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

So just stop painting it green after October?  :lol:
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Wouldn't htat be fooking awesome if Overland Park bought the naming rights for $75M - after Taxson dropped 3x that in the renovation funding?

:lol: :lol:
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I'm glad you see as much hilarity in it as I do. Should KC ever get a home Sunday night game again, I can just imagine...

Michaels: "And here we are getting ready for kickoff at Overland Park, Kansas."

Madden: "Talk about kicking it off...if you don't kick it off, you can't start the game! Hey, I thought we were in Missouri? BOOM!"

Michaels: "That's right, John, we're in Kansas City, Missouri at Overland Park, Kansas. Aaaaaand the kick is away. Savage back to return, grabs it at the 5 yard line...and is stopped just short of the 7-yard line. Boy, he couldn't get anything going that time."

Madden: "When you're running back a kickoff, the most important thing to remember is that after you catch the ball, you have to run toward the other team's end zone."

etc
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

mean wrote: I'm glad you see as much hilarity in it as I do. Should KC ever get a home Sunday night game again, I can just imagine...

Michaels: "And here we are getting ready for kickoff at Overland Park, Kansas."

Madden: "Talk about kicking it off...if you don't kick it off, you can't start the game! Hey, I thought we were in Missouri? BOOM!"

Michaels: "That's right, John, we're in Kansas City, Missouri at Overland Park, Kansas. Aaaaaand the kick is away. Savage back to return, grabs it at the 5 yard line...and is stopped just short of the 7-yard line. Boy, he couldn't get anything going that time."

Madden: "When you're running back a kickoff, the most important thing to remember is that after you catch the ball, you have to run toward the other team's end zone."

etc

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

it would be par for the course in this metro.  always trying to undercut each other.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

I love it - Chiefs shopping the CamaroHead name while they are 30M (million!) under the cap this year!    :lol:

So to recap:  Chiefs threaten to move unless they get renovation money.    They get it.  Then the promptly cut payroll to the bone (er - "youth movement", sorry!) while shopping naming rights for even more millions.

Silly JackO taxpayer:  when will you ever learn?

NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Mean...what your conversation presupposes is that we will ever get a Monday Night game. Not in the near future...

"Now here's a guy....."
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Maitre D wrote: I love it - Chiefs shopping the CamaroHead name while they are 30M (million!) under the cap this year!    :lol:
They should take the naming rights money and buy everyone in JaxCo a Hallmark thank you card. It would lessen the pain a bit, they'd still have a ton of money left over, and it'd probably be the biggest contribution the Chiefs make to the local economy this year.
NDTeve wrote: Mean...what your conversation presupposes is that we will ever get a Monday Night game. Not in the near future...
Sad but probably true.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Maitre D, this is not new news.  It has been pretty well known that the Chiefs were going to sell the naming rights to the stadium and keep the money from way back before the vote.

What I don't get is why you continue to beat this dead horse.

I mean, who the fuck cares?  The stadiums are being redone and most of it is funded by Jax County.

Great... moving on.

Funny thing is, YOU seem to go to a hell of a lot more games than I do.  (I go to 1 chiefs game every few years).  Yet you freaking hate everything about the chiefs.

Bizarre.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

GRID wrote: Maitre D, this is not new news.  It has been pretty well known that the Chiefs were going to sell the naming rights to the stadium and keep the money from way back before the vote.

What I don't get is why you continue to beat this dead horse.

I mean, who the fuck cares?  The stadiums are being redone and most of it is funded by Jax County.

Great... moving on.

You forgot the $30M under the salary cap this year.  A league low.  And the same year they're delivering a garbage team on the field.

This thing was never about making KC "competitive".  It was all about, making the Hunts more money.  I'm sad you fell for it.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

every team goes through rebuilding years and goes way under the cap...trying to equate that to stadium renovations is either a) being ignorant about that fact or b) just trying to stir up arguments.

boring either way.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Maitre D wrote:This thing was never about making KC "competitive".   It was all about, making the Hunts more money.  I'm sad you fell for it.
Wait a minute here, aren't you a capitalist? Shouldn't you say, I'm glad people are willing to spend money on a bad product to bolster the wealth of someone smart enough to figure out how to take it from them?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: every team goes through rebuilding years and goes way under the cap...
This BS myth has been tossed around a hell of a lot in this town the last twelve months+.  Well run teams do not go through rebuilding years.  Well run teams don't get so rotted that you need to blow the whole damn thing up and start over.  Well run teams recognize when their O-lines are all nearing retirement age and acquire quality replacement talent years before the whole damn thing collapses.  The Chiefs are not a well run team.

This is increasingly true of all professional sports but is especially true of the NFL.  Rebuilding = we failed to adequately anticipate change and make sound adjustments.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

mean wrote: Wait a minute here, aren't you a capitalist? Shouldn't you say, I'm glad people are willing to spend money on a bad product to bolster the wealth of someone smart enough to figure out how to take it from them?
Whoa!  Hang on here Mean:  they just got a $225M handout from taxpayers.  That isn't "capitalistic' in any way whatsoever.  :shock:

As for the Chiefs fan himself, you're right:  he can do what he wishes with his own spending money.

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Maitre D wrote: Whoa!   Hang on here Mean:  they just got a $225M handout from taxpayers.   That isn't "capitalistic' in any way whatsoever.   :shock:

As for the Chiefs fan himself, you're right:  he can do what he wishes with his own spending money.
Sure it is. If you can get the money, you win!