Rams leaving St. Louis?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Rams leaving St. Louis?

Post by longviewmo »

flyingember wrote:
aknowledgeableperson wrote:"It's a hard to drive 3-4 hours to a game approx. once a month."

I do some traveling south of KC on Sundays. You would be surprised at the number of cars in that direction fly Chief's flags on that day and/or are wearing red. So I can just imagine the numbers coming from other directions for home Chiefs' games. Plus consider the traveling done by college football fans for those games.
If you can show me 15,000 people driving from Fayetteville I would be surprised. That's the comparable distance.
That's some interesting logic there.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Who said 15,000? I guess you did. I sure didn't nor implied that.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

flyingember wrote:.

For those that do want to travel, KC is closest with Nashville and Chicago tied for second.
Actually Indy is the closest NFL city to St Louis, then KC, then Chicago, Nashville, Cincinatti

Maybe St Louis is just a bad NFL market because there are so many other NFL franchises around compared to other sports. St Louis leaving might actually help these other NFLfranchises that are within driving distance and I'm sure STL TV market will show all these teams and maybe not just focus on one franchise.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
flyingember wrote:.

For those that do want to travel, KC is closest with Nashville and Chicago tied for second.
Actually Indy is the closest NFL city to St Louis, then KC, then Chicago, Nashville, Cincinatti
I missed Indianapolis entirely. Amazingly downtown St. Louis (city hall) is 240 miles from both Arrowhead and Lucas Oil Stadium by car.
real world that means most people in St. Louis are slightly closer to Arrowhead. I'll call those two a tossup for the metro area.
nomadcowatbk
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by nomadcowatbk »

how long does the novelty of a new stadium last in LA before it becomes even more empty than Ed dome in the last few years?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Given the situation in KC a few years back it would depend on if either team (Chargers looks to be taking the deal) loses big time. If the teams are winning they will do OK.
nomadcowatbk
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by nomadcowatbk »

Arriving at the 2nd Quarter due to traffic, leaving at halftime to beat traffic
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

nomadcowatbk wrote:Arriving at the 2nd Quarter due to traffic, leaving at halftime to beat traffic
As long as the tickets and suites are sold, no one will care if anyone shows up.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

It's by The Forum so the area is use to the traffic. On the site of the old Hollywood Park, the old horse race track.
nomadcowatbk
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by nomadcowatbk »

WSPanic wrote:
nomadcowatbk wrote:Arriving at the 2nd Quarter due to traffic, leaving at halftime to beat traffic
As long as the tickets and suites are sold, no one will care if anyone shows up.
exactly
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

The owner of Pi Pizzeria gets it: http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/colu ... 36466.html
Pi’s MX location has become the busiest of its five St. Louis restaurants, Sommers said, and he attributes that in part to the fact that it’s so close to a MetroLink station. In fact, in the other cities where he has opened Pi locations, Cincinnati and Washington, proximity to a metro station is key.

That’s why he’d like to see a more serious effort put into expanding mass transit in the city, whether it’s the long-proposed north-south MetroLink line or streetcars, or something to move people around.

He’d like to see more effort in bringing corporations back downtown, and keeping the ones that are here. What downtown needs, he says, is an additional 1,000 people a day, not tens of thousands rushing in and out on highways eight to 10 times a year on Sunday afternoon.

“I’m passionate about this because I love downtown,” Sommers said. “And I love cities. I travel to a lot of the cities we’re competing against, and we should be paying more attention to what they’re doing, but instead we’re often competing with ourselves, just 5 or 10 miles away in Clayton or Chesterfield.”
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

They should just use the tag line "If you build it, they will come"
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

How cool is it that Kansas City has an NFL team and little bro to the East doesn't?

At least St. Louis can still pretend they are Chicago and nobody can ever take that away.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Stan K is a terrible owner and from what I can tell, St. Louisians are glad to be rid of him.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

MidtownCat wrote:How cool is it that Kansas City has an NFL team and little bro to the East doesn't?

At least St. Louis can still pretend they are Chicago and nobody can ever take that away.
get an NHL team and then you can experience midwestern winter pro-sports, the NFL is a joke.

kroenke doesnt give a fuck if the rams are winners...just look at the denver avalanche for confirmation....at least the blues have a goddamned soul, unlike the rams.

ps fuck the state of kansas.
Last edited by warwickland on Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

mean wrote:Stan K is a terrible owner and from what I can tell, St. Louisians are glad to be rid of him.
its true, and its embarrasing that we tried to build a 1.1 billion riverfront stadium for the rams because we cared.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Yes KC needs a NHL/NBA/WNBA team and St. Louis NBA/WNBA team.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Wants not needs.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

warwickland wrote:
mean wrote:Stan K is a terrible owner and from what I can tell, St. Louisians are glad to be rid of him.
its true, and its embarrasing that we tried to build a 1.1 billion riverfront stadium for the rams because we cared.
It may be embarrassing, but I think it is clear that the end result will ultimately be better for the city.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Rams. Everybody I know in LA claims nobody cares about the Angels, but the Angels certainly seem to be doing fine. Of course, the Angels have a tendency to win. The dollar signs Kroenke thinks he sees in LA may end up being mirages if the Rams are consistently shit. But he's done a huge favor to the rest of the country in taking the threat of LA relocation out of the equation for other billionaire owners seeking to extort money from the cities in which they reside.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Worst case scenario for Kroenke is that the Rams suck for a few years more, and the Chargers or somehow the Raiders end up in LA making the playoffs for a few years. Two years from now, all of the LA fans may be cheering for the other team. I imagine a rebranding or at least a uniform update will be used to draw fans before the games are played. The LA Governators will be fun to watch!