Rams leaving St. Louis?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Rams leaving St. Louis?

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Last time in St. Louis our hosts went for pizza. they asked if Imo's was OK. Us KC folk said why not? To make a long story short we ate all 8 large pizzas without complaint. Don't know what the big deal is.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I was thinking that if the Rams move to LA, then there doesn't need to be any alignment since they're already in the West - it actually makes more sense.

If the the Vikings move to LA, then you move them to the West, and move St. Louis to the North, which makes more sense.

What gets interesting though is if the Jaguars move to LA. Then you'd have LA in a division with Indianapolis, Houston and Tennessee. What makes sense is to put LA in the AFC West and move the Chiefs in the South with those teams. But that would breakup longstanding AFL Rivalries with the Broncos and Raiders. So my guess is that they'd put the LA Jaguars in the NFC West and ask the St. Louis Rams to move to the AFC South, which could set up more cross-state Show Me rivalry games.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

warwickland wrote:I think you definitely have to be fed provel from an early age to like it. I actually remember not liking my dads imos pizzas he would bring home when i was really little (probably the natural response), but later in high school, and definitely college when I was away from it I started having weird... withdrawals? I think provel has some kind of protracted half-life inside you.

NY style with just the right amount of grease and fresh cheese is what I like the most, but sometimes I snap to, and there's an imo's pizza in front of me. There are other provel based pizzas i eat, though. Doesn't Waldo Pizza have one? If there is any satellite/outpost of provel it is Kansas City! I can think of three places off the top of my head that puts it on food, and I'm sure there are more.
i love Imo's and STL style pizza generally. i like Cecil Whittaker's even more. Waldo's STL style is delicious. anyone who can't hang with provel and thin crust can get bent.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KCMax wrote:What gets interesting though is if the Jaguars move to LA. Then you'd have LA in a division with Indianapolis, Houston and Tennessee. What makes sense is to put LA in the AFC West and move the Chiefs in the South with those teams. But that would breakup longstanding AFL Rivalries with the Broncos and Raiders. So my guess is that they'd put the LA Jaguars in the NFC West and ask the St. Louis Rams to move to the AFC South, which could set up more cross-state Show Me rivalry games.
I can't imagine KC gets moved to the South. Really, the only sane scenario to my mind is Rams to LA. They played in that market for what--50 years?
chrizow wrote:i love Imo's and STL style pizza generally. i like Cecil Whittaker's even more. Waldo's STL style is delicious. anyone who can't hang with provel and thin crust can get bent.
I agree, love the stuff. Have you tried Leo's up north? Worth the trip.

Also, I think the key to appreciating provel is disabusing yourself of the notion that it is cheese.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I like imos although haven't had it for probably 6 years. Like that cracker thin crust.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

chrizow wrote:
warwickland wrote:I think you definitely have to be fed provel from an early age to like it. I actually remember not liking my dads imos pizzas he would bring home when i was really little (probably the natural response), but later in high school, and definitely college when I was away from it I started having weird... withdrawals? I think provel has some kind of protracted half-life inside you.

NY style with just the right amount of grease and fresh cheese is what I like the most, but sometimes I snap to, and there's an imo's pizza in front of me. There are other provel based pizzas i eat, though. Doesn't Waldo Pizza have one? If there is any satellite/outpost of provel it is Kansas City! I can think of three places off the top of my head that puts it on food, and I'm sure there are more.
i love Imo's and STL style pizza generally. i like Cecil Whittaker's even more. Waldo's STL style is delicious. anyone who can't hang with provel and thin crust can get bent.
I was actually thinking I liked Waldos StL style the best of any I've had, but it's been a long time since I've had it.

Imo's is very inconsistent with quality and flavoring depending on the ownership. You have to go to certain locations for the best pizza. For instance, if i remember correctly the Westport location was atrocious.

Besides Cecil Whittaker's if you are feeling adventerous there is also a chain called Elicias Pizza (not anything to write home about) primarily located in the southside and south county.

However! There's also a place called Monte Bello in inner south county in the basement of someones house that feels like you are in some kind of weird Ohio valley small industrial town and it's by an old steel or coke plant of some kind. It has provel with a corn meal crust...I really really liked it. It could have been another big Imo's chain, please go before it's gone! It's old school to the maximum.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Monte+Bel ... i&t=m&z=14
Last edited by warwickland on Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Opps, I posted the wrong google page for Monte Bello, fixed. Edit, I didnt have it fixed.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

warwickland wrote: However! There's also a place called Monte Bello in inner south county in the basement of someones house that feels like you are in some kind of weird Ohio valley small industrial town and it's by an old steel or coke plant of some kind. It has provel with a corn meal crust...I really really liked it. It could have been another big Imo's chain, please go before it's gone! It's old school to the maximum.
this place looks awesome.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/u/photo_list/ ... _id=301629
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

chrizow wrote:
warwickland wrote: However! There's also a place called Monte Bello in inner south county in the basement of someones house that feels like you are in some kind of weird Ohio valley small industrial town and it's by an old steel or coke plant of some kind. It has provel with a corn meal crust...I really really liked it. It could have been another big Imo's chain, please go before it's gone! It's old school to the maximum.
this place looks awesome.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/u/photo_list/ ... _id=301629
It comes with Italian Cheese. :lol:
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

this thread got dominated!
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Indisputable proof that adding provel to anything -- even an internet discussion about the worst football team in the country -- makes it somehow simultaneously grosser and more appealing.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Officials present $124 million plan to keep Rams in St. Louis
he public agency that manages the Edward Jones Dome today proposed a $124 million overhaul of the 16-year-old facility, while St. Louis city and county officials stressed that no new public money would go to the team without voter approval....

If accepted by the Rams, the CVC plan would:
• Hang a 96-foot wide and 26-foot high scoreboard over midfield that should give fans clear views of replays, scores and stats and not interfere with game play.
• Build a new, three-story structure on Baer Plaza that would be connected to the Dome via a bridge over Broadway. It would include a 20,000 square-foot lobby, a rooftop beer garden and a new entrance for fans headed to Dome's club seats and luxury suites.
• Install large glazed window panels that would allow more natural light inside the Dome, which critics have complained is too dark.
• Replace about 1,800 existing seats and four suites with 1,500 new club seats.
• Put retractable bollards on Broadway that would let CVC shut down the street to vehicle traffic and making it safer for fans to enter and leave the Dome. The CVC said this change also would address NFL concerns that the milling crowds outside of the Dome could be a terrorist target....

Under the plan, the Rams would fund about 52 percent of the improvements. Ratcliffe said that figure wasn't picked at random — it is the average contribution by NFL teams in recent new stadium construction and renovation projects.
The plan doesn't identify the source of the rest of money, nearly $60 million. Ratcliffe indicated that her agency would likely turn to the Dome's owner — the St. Louis Regional Convention and Sports Complex Authority — or the three so-called government "sponsors" that paid to build the Dome.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Not looking good
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

It's my understanding that all of Missouri pays taxes for the Edward Jones Dome. Is that right? If the Rams leave St. Louis, what happens? I guess nothing since the dome would still be there.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

AllThingsKC wrote:It's my understanding that all of Missouri pays taxes for the Edward Jones Dome. Is that right? If the Rams leave St. Louis, what happens? I guess nothing since the dome would still be there.

The state kicks in funds for Bartle Hall, Jackson County Sports Complex, The Dome, and I believe the St. Louis Convention Center plus the new baseball stadium.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Rams present dome improvement plan
Details of the team's plan are not being made public and the Rams said the process will remain confidential. The St. Louis Convention and Visitors Commission said Tuesday that that NFL team has submitted its counterproposal to a plan the CVC announced in February.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

Here is the latest proposal from the CVC. This detailed proposal has no reported price tag. It looks like the CVC is meeting the Rams in the middle. The Rams want a $700 million renovation. IMO, this looks to be around $300 million.
http://slcvc.explorestlouis.com/cvc/Fin ... 202012.pdf