Rams leaving St. Louis?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Rams leaving St. Louis?

Post by bbqboy »

I think the raiders are the most likely candidate to move (back)to LA, as Oakland is in no position to build them a new stadium.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

The Blues leaving would be a much larger "spiritual" blow for St. Louis, if I might defile that term. The Rams leaving would be more of an regional ego thing of not having NFL. A lot of people are obsessed with the idea of having an NFL franchise here.

The Blues have entered deeply beloved status over the past 5-10 years. The Rams are not even close.

I think St. Louis is a big enough sports town to hang on to all three, though. We will see. I don't get into the NFL at all, care little. It's funny, I kind of feel like the Blues are the more urban/inner suburban supported franchise and the Rams are more the realm of McMansionLand 40 miles from the dome, so I don't feel like it's even "my" team. Obviously that's a huge generalization.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

Does anyone connected to Wal-Mart that own sports teams even care about having competitive teams?
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

kcmetro wrote:Are St. Louis people that crazy about the Rams? What's their attendance been like? I know the Rams have sucked lately, but it seems like they're really only passionate about the Cardinals.
They were the 2nd worst attendance in the league this season by average, 3rd worst in 2010, 4th worst in 2009, and 4th worst in 2008. KC averaged 16k more fans this season in 8th place overall.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCMax wrote:
kcmetro wrote:Are St. Louis people that crazy about the Rams? What's their attendance been like? I know the Rams have sucked lately, but it seems like they're really only passionate about the Cardinals.
And Blues. And toasted ravioli.
And mullets.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

bbqboy wrote:I think the raiders are the most likely candidate to move (back)to LA, as Oakland is in no position to build them a new stadium.
LA would Rather have the Chargers or the Rams than the thug Raiders
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Rams won't leave StL. No way. Now, Jacksonville, San Diego or Oakland, perhaps I could see.

I'd have a hard time thinking Jeff Fischer would sign on to start over again with a fresh staff and rebuild the team if moving to LA was seriously on the horizon in the next 5-7 years.

I do have to say from my experience the Rams are a fairly distant 3rd in the hearts of true StLians, with the Cards by far and away #1, the Blues #2, and then maybe even MU sports and Rams around #3. Sometimes they seem like more of an urban status symbol then anything. Always wished they would have changed their name/colors when the moved to StL, like the Ravens.

I have to say I love that StL is so mad about the Cards though, it's refreshing and awesome for me, a huge baseball fan, to find a whole city where the majority of folks aren't shitting themselves over the "greatness" of NFL football and laughing at the slow, boring old national pasttime baseball.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

rxlexi wrote:Rams won't leave StL. No way. Now, Jacksonville, San Diego or Oakland, perhaps I could see.

I'd have a hard time thinking Jeff Fischer would sign on to start over again with a fresh staff and rebuild the team if moving to LA was seriously on the horizon in the next 5-7 years.
Maybe, but (1) he's done if before - he was coach of the Oilers when they moved from Houston to Memphis and then Nashville; (2) he's a SoCal kid and went to USC; and (3) a move to LA makes his job generates new excitement, makes him one of the highest profile teams in the league and probably gives him more money to play with in player acquisition.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

shinatoo wrote:
KCMax wrote:
And mullets.
We call those Hockey cuts, um kay. I mean really what is wrong with a haircut that wears well under a hard hat, yet still has a laid-back aura about it? Camaros, mustaches that come down at the corner, canned beers, classic rock stations, it all just...works. As a matter of fact, I've seen it working in ole eastern metro Kansas City, too...can't say that Independence feels all that alien to me. There's even a hockey team...
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

rxlexi wrote:I'd have a hard time thinking Jeff Fischer would sign on to start over again with a fresh staff and rebuild the team if moving to LA was seriously on the horizon in the next 5-7 years.
They would get to take their players and staff with them, so I don't think that is a valid argument.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

pstokely wrote:
bbqboy wrote:I think the raiders are the most likely candidate to move (back)to LA, as Oakland is in no position to build them a new stadium.
LA would Rather have the Chargers or the Rams than the thug Raiders
I don't disagree, but the Raiders are looking for an out from thugland.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

KCMax wrote:

I don't blame them for the toasted ravioli. I do blame them for the pizza.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

And if St Louis give in to the demands, how much will taxpayers throughout the state have to pay in taxes? How much do people in Stl pay in taxes for Arrowhead and the K?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

pstokely wrote:And if St Louis give in to the demands, how much will taxpayers throughout the state have to pay in taxes? How much do people in Stl pay in taxes for Arrowhead and the K?
I don't know. How much did KCians paid for New Busch Stadium, Kiel Center and the Edward Jones Dome?
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

phxcat wrote:
KCMax wrote:

I don't blame them for the toasted ravioli. I do blame them for the pizza.
Please don't call it "pizza"
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

The latest theory is that the team will be moved to London. They will be playing 1 "home game" a year for the next three years in london at Wembley, and supposedly this is in breach of the agreement with the city. I don't know if they would supposedly play [if completely moved] @ Emirates Stadium where Kroenkes Arsenal F.C. play or what.... I'm confused and don't understand the sports industry and the legal issues, just reporting what I hear with my ear to the rail.

The hear-say also says that Jeff Fisher, the new coach, is the only NFL coach to stay on through a NFL team move...dunno bout that...Houston Oilers to Tennessee Titans.

iz gettn weird.
Last edited by warwickland on Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

NFC West:

Arizona Cardinals
London Rams
San Francisco 49ers
Seattle Seahawks

"One of these things is not like the other...."
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Add to that the fact that the NFL has discussed the possibility of having a franchise based in London.

Well, it doesn't take much to connect the dots.

...NFL senior vice president Greg Aiello said Friday in an email. "We have responded to questions about the feasibility of a franchise in London someday and our answer has been that's possible.''

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... z1kgXYRdQi
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

I am now convinced that they may be exploring a way out. There's just too many coincidences. Whether or not they will actually end up going, I couldnt say. My spidey sense says somethings going on, though.

* Jeff Fisher and his supposedly singular record of moving with teams.
* Kroenke being uber vague about the future of the team
* Kroenke owning a stadium in London [Emirates]
* NFL on record as saying that they may want a team in London
* Rams being the first NFL team to play consecutive years in London
* The St. Louis/Rams terms supposedly being violated by the Rams for the London games
* St. Louis not in a position to build a Billion dollar footbal stadium, basically per the terms
* Google "London Rams"
Last edited by warwickland on Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

shinatoo wrote:NFC West:

Arizona Cardinals
London Rams
San Francisco 49ers
Seattle Seahawks

"One of these things is not like the other...."
If you keep going west of San Fran, you'll eventually hit London.

I would guess the NFL would much rather be in LA than London. But we'll see if the Vikings end up staying in Minnesota - that could impact the Rams quite a bit.