Rams leaving St. Louis?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Rams leaving St. Louis?

Post by jlbomega »

KCPowercat wrote: sprint center is doing better than projections and paying off early....by all accounts it is a success...not sure how that relates to a football stadium which isn't  as multifunctional and needs a football team to work.
The dome can host a final four every six years or so
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I misunderstood...I thought we were talking about la building a fb stadium before they got a team.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
weapon_x
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by weapon_x »

interesting
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Losing the Rams would be devastating to me as a StL sports fan.  I waited (what seemed like an eternity - 9 years) for StL to get another team after we told Bidwill to take his crappy attitude and loser mentality out of town.

The Rams must stay!  StL is a big time, major league city.  Baseball, football and hockey are a must.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Rams will be sold to Illinois businessman Shahid Khan
Multiple league sources describe Khan as an enthusiastic Rams fan who has attended home games at the Edward Jones Dome. League sources say Khan is committed to keeping the team in St. Louis ? and that was an important consideration to Rosenbloom and Rodriguez in making their decision to sell to him.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

KKKKKKHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNN!
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

Good for St Louis, thanks for posting!
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Too bad - they would have been a good fit for the Big 10. Or, a move back to L.A. would have made sense for the Pac 10.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

WSPanic wrote: Too bad - they would have been a good fit for the Big 10. Or, a move back to L.A. would have made sense for the Pac 10.

:lol:
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

good for them. Now they have to worry about a new stadium.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

this was great, most welcomed news
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
dublin
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by dublin »

A friend from STL forwarded this to me.  I guess their GM Billy Devaney held court at a restaurant in suburban St. Louis and fielded questions from fans.  Pretty awesome insight into the mind of an active GM, especially if you are familiar at all with the current Rams roster.

http://www.nflfans.com/rams2/article.ph ... 4084728732
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke has put in a bid for the LA Dodgers. NFL owners are not allowed to own majority stakes in other American pro sports teams. The team also volunteered two play two home games in the next two years in London. The team can also opt out of the Edward Jones Dome by 2014.

Rams fans are a bit nervous.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2012/01/24/ ... kes-fires/
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think they are gone.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCPowercat wrote:I think they are gone.
Dang. I'd be shocked if the NFL allowed a team to pull out of the STL market, but their lust for the LA market may overpower that manner of thinking. If the Rams left, this would leave STL with only an MLB team and a hockey team. Meanwhile, KC on the other side of the state is growing, has an MLB team, an NFL team, an MLS team, and is at least situated to attract an NBA or NHL team. KC landing an NBA team would be a big blow to the big league sports nature of KC vs. STL.

STL is stuck in a nether region of having a not-too-old but not really new facility in the Edward Jones Dome, so it is possible that an expansion team would want a new stadium or more upgrades before entering the market. There is little doubt STL would pony up whatever it takes to get a team back, though. This would make STL and Vegas the most attractive possible additions to the NFL, but the 32 team league with 4 team divisions is almost too perfect. Also, STL is a lot less of a sure thing than LA would be in an expansion scenario. We will really find out a lot about the new commissioner in the next few years regarding the ultimate plans for expansion. Will there ever be teams, conferences, or divisions in Europe, Asia, or Canada? If so, adding a few teams in the US may not make a huge difference. In that scenario, the entire playoff system would completely change. It could be a 20-24 team playoff with international teams diluting the league talent. To me, there is really no way to limp into having international teams without adding a number at once and/or treating international teams like lower tier teams not given the same chances to reach the playoffs as everyone else.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The Minnesota Legislature is also currently debating whether or not to build the Vikings a new stadium. The Vikings say they cannot play in the Metrodome anymore.

The Jacksonville Jaguars and San Diego Chargers have also been rumored as a potential relocation candidate.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCMax wrote:The Minnesota Legislature is also currently debating whether or not to build the Vikings a new stadium. The Vikings say they cannot play in the Metrodome anymore.

The Jacksonville Jaguars and San Diego Chargers have also been rumored as a potential relocation candidate.
I can see Jacksonville or San Diego, but I can't imagine the NFL would ever let the Vikings leave. Florida sports fans are the worst, and SD will always be third or fourth fiddle in California.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

bobbyhawks wrote:
KCMax wrote:The Minnesota Legislature is also currently debating whether or not to build the Vikings a new stadium. The Vikings say they cannot play in the Metrodome anymore.

I can see Jacksonville or San Diego, but I can't imagine the NFL would ever let the Vikings leave. Florida sports fans are the worst, and SD will always be third or fourth fiddle in California.
I couldn't imagine the Browns leaving Cleveland, and they did for a few years...until Cleveland built a new stadium.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Are St. Louis people that crazy about the Rams? What's their attendance been like? I know the Rams have sucked lately, but it seems like they're really only passionate about the Cardinals.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

kcmetro wrote:Are St. Louis people that crazy about the Rams? What's their attendance been like? I know the Rams have sucked lately, but it seems like they're really only passionate about the Cardinals.
And Blues. And toasted ravioli.