Big 12 tournament volunteer opportunities

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Big 12 tournament volunteer opportunities

Post by KCPowercat »

I hadn't seen this advertised anywhere but the Sports Commission has a volunteer sign-up to help out with transportation and people to man visitor booths at local hotels.  Seems like a great opportunity for people on this site who love to brag on KC.

Here is the form:
https://secure2.merchantcart.net/kcspor ... n.cfm/KCHC - Big 12/FFEED84C7CB1AE7BF4EC4BD78275BB98/?do=volunteer_registration

I need to check my schedule tomorrow but fully expect to sign up for a few of these times.....I can't think of any more fun than interacting with Big 12 fans at hotels giving them suggestions on where to go eat, drink, etc.

Everybody should sign up if this is your cup of tea...what sets KC apart from other host cities is the volunteer support (at least in years past, now it will be the new arena and entertainment district too).  Help tourists see KC how we see it.
Last edited by KCPowercat on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Big 12 tournament volunteer opportunities

Post by KCPowercat »

anybody?

AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

What's the latest someone sign up for it?
KC is the way to be!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

There is a meeting Feb. 22nd to do the time signups...so I'd assume around then.

PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

This is a completely awesome opportunity.  I will definitely try to do it.  I don't watch any sports at all, personally, but I would love to give people advice where to go!  I can't believe no one else commented on this!
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I registered for three slots.  Ought to be fun.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Added bonus....volunteers after the meeting get a tour of the P&L.

sign up TODAY...they still need a lot of volunteers it sounds like, especially on the transportation side.

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

PumpkinStalker wrote: but I would love to give people advice where to go! 
Better make sure that you are in a good mood.

:)
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

Thanks for posting this KCPowercat.  I'll be signing up for a info booth in Crown Center.  I like talking up both Kansas City and Crown Center.
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

They are still looking for volunteers.  People that are optimistic and pro-kc should sign up.  Here is the email they sent volunteers.  You should contact Mark Gibbs at the bottom of the email first before sending your application.  Applications must be faxed by Tuesday the 19th.  Also might be a good opportunity to get priveleged information and behind the scenes tours!  ;-)

First of all, thanks for volunteering to help with the Big Twelve Basketball Tournament in March.  Having been a volunteer for over fifteen years myself, I can tell you that it's always a fun and interesting experience!

There's a fair amount of info in this email, some of it time-sensitive.  Please make sure you read all of it carefully and mark your calendar accordingly.  Here are some things you should know about :

What's The Volunteer Schedule?
The Mens & Womens tournaments run from Tuesday, March 11th to Sunday, March 16th. 

Each day is split into day and evening shifts.  The times for these shifts vary depending on the day.  Shifts are assigned based upon a mix of:
Availability
Seniority (number of years as a volunteer)
Whether a volunteer has completed the Ambassador Training program (more on that in a minute).
Please mark your calendars for the following dates:

February 20th / Time: 6:00 pm / Sprint Center :
All-Volunteer Meeting
This a chance to bring all volunteers together, discuss scheduling, distribute uniforms, etc.  This is a two-part session:
A general meeting of all volunteers.  Host committee chairpersons, Sports Commission officials, and more will be going over some general guidelines, making some announcements, and fielding questions.
Each group (e.g., Fan Info) then breaks into its own meeting.  This meeting is where scheduling and group-specific issues can be discussed.
After the breakout meetings, there will be guided tours of the new Power & Light District.  As this will be a big area of fan questions, please plan on taking one of the tours.
Note:  When entering the Sprint Center, please use the main entrance on Grand.  Concerning parking, there is metered parking on Grand, McGee and Oak streets.  In addition, on the south side of the Center across Truman Road, there is lots of parking.

February 28th / 1:00-5:00 pm
Johnson County Community College :
Heartland Ambassador Tourism Program Training
This is a training session being conducted by the Kansas City Convention and Visitors Association (KCCVA).  As a Kansas City Host Committee volunteer, you can attend this session for no charge!

While this isn't a mandatory item, as a member of the Fan Information team, it is crucial to attend this session.  There are so many changes to the downtown area; even lifelong residents will not recognize the new downtown landscape that is emerging with the Sprint Center , the Power & Light District, and more.

The session gives you the information you need to be a much better volunteer.  Upon completion, you are also eligible to assist as an ambassador in a wide range of future events that the KCCVA coordinates with.

When And Where
  Date:  Thursday, February 28th
Time:  1:00 - 5:00 p.m.
Place:  Johnson County Community College ,
            Commons Building - Room 319-B
Please note that there is NO fee for this session.  However, you must register in advance. 

To Register
Go to: http://www.visitkc.com/ (If the link doesn't work, copy it and paste it into your browser address window.)
At the top of the page, click the Member and Partner tab; that page appears.
In the left-hand column, click the Ambassador Program link; the Heartland Tourism Ambassadors Program page appears.  This page contains lots of info about the program.
Select the Download Application Form link; The Heartland Tourism Ambassadors Program form opens in a new window.
Print a copy of the form.
Complete the information (List KCHC for the classroom session and February 28 for the date).
Either:
    a) Fax the form to 816-691-3805, attention Susan Blanco.
    b) Mail the form to Susan Blanco, using the address
        at the top of the form.
Registration Deadline

Your registration form MUST either be faxed or sent to the KCCVA by  Tuesday, February 19th.
Upon receipt of your registration, you'll receive a workbook that must be read and completed prior to the training session on 02/28.

That’s it for now.  If you have any questions, please feel free to email me.  I check the Fan Info email every few days, so it might be a day or two until I get back to you.

In the meantime, I encourage you to sign up for the Ambassador training and watch your email box for upcoming announcements.

Sincerely,
Mark

Mark Gibbs
Kansas City Host Committee
Director - Fan Information Services

P.S.  We are still in need of volunteers so if you have family, friends, co-workers, etc. that might be interested, please give them this email address and I will follow up with them.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

bump....tonight is the night.  I am sure they will take any walk-up volunteers.

PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

KCP, what did you con me into!?!

I'm sure it will be fun, but they sent a 130 page three ring notebook (front and BACK printed pages) of material.  It includes homework pages which you have to bring with you to the 4 hour training course next Thursday at JCCC.  There is an open book exam to become certified.  Yes, you get the designation Certified Tourism Ambassador.  PumpkinStalker, CTA.  They are actually accredited by some national tourism folks.  It's hardcore.  I've learned all about fur trappers, indians, wagon trails in Independence, all the way up through the P&L District.

So come on over and join today!  But seriously, I'm looking forward to it.  I'm a people person and I love telling strangers what there is to do here.  I just hope they don't post me at the Motel Capri or something!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

you don't have to take that class.

PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Well, technically no.  The guy that called me said it was critical I try to attend but it did note in the email that it was not mandatory.  I'm going anyway, I figure it's a cool thing to have and be on call for during events like this.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I would like to but timing doesn't work for me.

I know many people who have taken the class with not great results....iwill challenge anybody on knowledge of kcto visitors :)

PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Just curious, how come results weren't good?  As far as what?  Did they not feel like they came away any different than going in?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

pretty much.  its very basic as it is aimed to cover all levels of the tourist employment base.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Last chance.....volunteers are still needed.  Email big12faninfo@yahoo.com if you can help...looking for any shifts you can do.  Volunteers is what makes KC great in this tournament....currently the committee can only cover 4 of 5 hotel sites.

PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

To piggyback KCP, here is the email I just received yesterday:

First of all, thanks to everyone who turned out last week for the meeting at the Sprint Center.  It was good to see the familiar members of the Fan Info team and to briefly meet the new members.

To the "newbies" (no offense meant - it's a standard term on the committee), I hope you'll forgive me if I didn't get a chance to speak with you at length.  Given everything we needed to plow through, I felt somewhat rushed, so I hope you didn't take it personally.

Scheduling
On to current business!  We still have some slots to fill.  Please look over the available slots below, check your schedule, and let me know whether you can fill one.  Slots will be filled as the emails come in.

Deadline: Please let me know by noon - THIS Tuesday (3/3) about the shift that you can pick up.

Wednesday - 3/12
Day (9-3) 3 slots
Night (3-8) 1 slot

Thursday - 3/13
Day (9-3) 1 slots

Friday - 3/14
Day (9-3) 1 slot
Night (3-8) 2 slots

Saturday - 3/15
Night (3-8) 1 slot

Sunday - 3/16
Day (9-3) 3 slots

The slots above do not factor in the aspect that we have been asked to cover a fifth venue and currently are unable to do so.  For example on Sunday, if we were to cover the additional venue, we actually have five slots.

As always, due to the length of the basketball tournaments, the committee asks that everyone work at least two shifts, preferable three.  Some folks stepped up and already volunteered for more than three shifts.  To them, many thanks!  Your dedication is really appreciated.

I would ask that everyone who is working only a couple of shifts to consider taking an additional shift to cover the openings and hopefully the fifth venue.  In past tournaments, Fan Information has been by far one of the strongest groups and it's a legacy we'd like to keep growing. 

As the Host Committee is being observed by a lot of different groups (NCAA, Big 12, KCCVA to name a few), it is crucial that we make a great impression in welcoming the tournament back to KC after two years away.  The impression we create now will help influence decisions for many potential events over the next few years.

This is more than just volunteering for the tournament.  This is an opportunity to show off a new Kansas City downtown to visitors...and to prove once again that we have the best volunteers of any city!

With everyone pitching in, we can do this!  Again, please take a moment to review the openings and let me know so I can prepare a schedule for release to everyone.

Thanks,
Mark

P.S. Concerning the question that everyone is asking ("When will the schedule be done?"), I'm shooting for Wednesday (03/05). 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

the times don't really work well for people with jobs.....but flex a day and take off early and fill a shift...it really helps KC's image to the Big 12 when we have a good group of volunteers.