Way to go MU TIGERS!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Way to go MU TIGERS!!!

Post by dangerboy »

Also, Mizzou's identity and reputation isn't tied to sports as much as the other schools. So if your connection to MU is something other than sports, you are probably less likely fly the flags and such.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Way to go MU TIGERS!!!

Post by phxcat »

Also, Mizzou's identity and reputation isn't tied to sports as much as the other schools. So if your connection to MU is something other than sports, you are probably less likely fly the flags and such.
That doesn't even make sense! I demand you make sense!
But the fact is MU is just a better all around sports college.
The contest was between KU and MU, and MU won that, but I believe that K-State would have beat them both! (Although it was close over MU)
When I travel, I notice most MO people I meet are wearing Royals, Chiefs, Rams, Blues, Cards gear. Very rarely do I see MU gear (not sure I ever have).
That's because those are the teams that are successful. I bet you never saw much Royals gear before this year! I think that 1. people everywhere are going to jump on bandwagons (and I will admit that KSU has its share of bandwagon jumpers- just like KU) if MU were to develop a top ranked program, you would see alot more of their stuff. 2. People wear the gear to show off rivalries- in middle MO, the rivalries are between the Royals and Cardinals- not MU-KU. I never wore K-State stuff in Manhattan because it was redundant. 3. People will wear the stuff from their hometown- which ever side of the state line they are on.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Way to go MU TIGERS!!!

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

The reason you don't see as many people wear MU apparel or see MU tags on cars is because their athletic program is at best average. KU has one of the top 5 basketball programs in the country, year after year. K-State has recently (last 10 years) developed a top 10 football program. MU athletics have not excelled in any sport for an extended period of time, they are indeed an average program. Not that their basketball and football programs are not improving. Their football program is by far in much better shape than KU's right now. :cry:

And if you think MU's program is tied to academics and not athletics, then you are definitely mistaken. MU is not an academic school by any means. It is a fine state university, but don't try to play it off that MU is some sort of academic mecca.
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Way to go MU TIGERS!!!

Post by dangerboy »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote:And if you think MU's program is tied to academics and not athletics, then you are definitely mistaken. MU is not an academic school by any means. It is a fine state university, but don't try to play it off that MU is some sort of academic mecca.
I wasn't saying that the MU's sports program was tied to academics, rather I was saying overall MU has a very good academic reputation, whereas KU and KSU are more famous for their sports programs. No one said MU is an academic mecca, but the fact is MU usually ranks higher than KU in the various college rankings (e.g. 32 vs 44 in US News 2003), has a higher freshman ACT average, etc.

The schools are better/worse at different things, and everyone has different priorities in choosing a university. No need to flame.
This is Phxcat

but this thing won;t let me sign in for some reason

Post by This is Phxcat »

US News and World Report is another story entirely. Their rankings are complete rubbish. The only difference between KU, K-State, and MU in their rankings is academic reputation, and that drops K-State below the other two. Academic reputaion comes from polling professors from other schools around the other country who really don't know the difference between any of the schools- the fact that KU is named "The Univeristy of Kansas" and K-State is named "Kansas State University" carrys as much weight as anything when it comes to academic reputaion. The other factors are graduate programs, which K-State has fewer of than the others (conversely making it a stronger school for undergrads- professors who are making their money and prestige off of research don't give a s*** about undergrads- in fact see them as an obstical to their important work- so where is the better place for an undergrad?) and, of course the fact that US N&R keeps ranking schools incorectly- they create bad rankings and those rankings, by nature, sustain themselves.

Now, if you want to create a ranking of schools that actually measures who will take the average high school senior and make him or her a better student- K-State would rank among the top- regular non-valadictorian kids from Kansas are regular recieving the most prestigious awards for students at K-State, and at a higher rate than students at any other school that isn't allowed to choose only the best material to work from.
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: but this thing won;t let me sign in for some reason

Post by kcmajik »

This is Phxcat wrote:US News and World Report is another story entirely. Their rankings are complete rubbish. The only difference between KU, K-State, and MU in their rankings is academic reputation, and that drops K-State below the other two. Academic reputaion comes from polling professors from other schools around the other country who really don't know the difference between any of the schools- the fact that KU is named "The Univeristy of Kansas" and K-State is named "Kansas State University" carrys as much weight as anything when it comes to academic reputaion. The other factors are graduate programs, which K-State has fewer of than the others (conversely making it a stronger school for undergrads- professors who are making their money and prestige off of research don't give a s*** about undergrads- in fact see them as an obstical to their important work- so where is the better place for an undergrad?) and, of course the fact that US N&R keeps ranking schools incorectly- they create bad rankings and those rankings, by nature, sustain themselves.
Who cares. people will still read US N&WR and think K-state is under MU and KU. people are uneducated and will still see it like that. just like william jewell and couple of years ago being time magazine's liberal arts school of the year. my sister went there 4 years and said there was absolutely nothing special about it and classes were average. but that still made WJ so "laudy-freakin-dah."