World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
ldai_phs
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Postby ldai_phs » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:57 pm

I recently heard something along the lines of "economic impact on host cities is in the billions". Is this true?

bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Postby bobbyhawks » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:55 pm

ldai_phs wrote:I recently heard something along the lines of "economic impact on host cities is in the billions". Is this true?

Probably for all host cities in aggregate. Certainly not for a single host city. It isn't a local team (unless the USA draws your city), so you could potentially have 40 to 60k or more people from all over the country and world staying in KC. The global travelers are likely to make it more of a vacation than a there-and-back visit and are also likely to be of the wealthier variety of vacationer.

KCtoBrooklyn
New York Life
New York Life

Postby KCtoBrooklyn » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:31 pm

I have seen the impact for Brazil estimates anywhere from $3B-$30B. Brazil did build many new stadiums and probably other infrastructure. I think that higher number includes a lot of the construction work.

However, in 2026, the field will be expanded with more teams and more games, the impact could be greater.

The Super Bowl economic impact is said to be around $700M. Since World Cup host cities will have multiple games, I could see the impact approaching $1B per city (as far as the estimates go, which seem like they are always inflated).

shinatoo
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Postby shinatoo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:00 pm

bobbyhawks wrote:
ldai_phs wrote:I recently heard something along the lines of "economic impact on host cities is in the billions". Is this true?

Probably for all host cities in aggregate. Certainly not for a single host city. It isn't a local team (unless the USA draws your city), so you could potentially have 40 to 60k or more people from all over the country and world staying in KC. The global travelers are likely to make it more of a vacation than a there-and-back visit and are also likely to be of the wealthier variety of vacationer.

If the USA team qualifies.
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

gfisch95
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Postby gfisch95 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:50 pm

shinatoo wrote:
bobbyhawks wrote:

If you are the host you automatically qualify.

grovester
Hotel President
Hotel President

Postby grovester » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:38 pm

gfisch95 wrote:
shinatoo wrote:
bobbyhawks wrote:Probably for all host cities in aggregate. Certainly not for a single host city. It isn't a local team (unless the USA draws your city), so you could potentially have 40 to 60k or more people from all over the country and world staying in KC. The global travelers are likely to make it more of a vacation than a there-and-back visit and are also likely to be of the wealthier variety of vacationer.

If you are the host you automatically qualify.

Damn, no wonder they bid so much.

Return to “Kansas City Sports”