New York City/Washington D.C./Atlanta/Cincinnati

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

I went to Washington D.C. on May 29th, before i arrived we changed planes in Atlanta, GA. I noticed the skyline and i especially noticed the Peachtree Tower. That is something i thought Kansas City could use. When we arrived in Washington, i noticed the metro system, which is something i thought Kansas City could really really use. Also, they have a law enacted so no billboards are placed along the roads, (or anywhere) i could really see the beauty there w/o annoying bill boards like that. I think KC could use a law like that also. KC should also have beautiful landscape and gardens as Arlington, Washington, and Alexandria have. They also have a very very large fee for anyone who litters in the Potomac. They also have nice cruises (which is something i took) KC could really clean up the Missouri and Kansas rivers, and could put docks like that along the riverfront.
After Washington we took a long 4 hour bus ride to NYC, it was cool going under the water from NJ to NY, the first thing i noticed was how clean KC was to NYC. Although something i liked was the skyscrapers, and how many many buildings had boards on them (i thought that would be less distracting and less costly (not to mention saving space)
the second thing i noticed was the ESB then i looked ahead to where the WTC were and where our hotel was by the WFC. I think KC should have a few things like NYC, the skyscrapers, not as much space taken up (a great need for more parks in NYC, the 300 acre park doesnt count), all cabs should be yellow like in NYC, but the car costs and parking costs shouldnt be as much (can cost thousands to even own a car and pay for parking! :O)
we took off from La Guardia and arrived in Cincinnatti, i didnt noticed much there, i didnt even see the skyline (something KC should also change, can be fixed by building taller :))
we then arrived back at KCI at uhh, i think 11:00PM :( not many people were there of course. The kids didnt think much of the airport which i didnt like (i went with fellow classmates) Washington's airport was really huge! although being in the nations capital you didnt see many people. Kansas City International should expand but not by much (so it doesnt end up like Dulles)
that is my report,
when i first saw NYC, i had a great feeling, but i have an even better feeling when i see KC every time :) (i still think KC is the best city in the world, WDC and London are next, then NYC)
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

You've been busy! I'd have expected you to have left some pics, though! I rode the DC (I think it's called the Metro?) light rail not long after it opened. That is a very nice system, clean, maps on the trains, and it gets you where you need to go. Of course DC is a very dense area (except for dowtown, shich is less dense than the rest of the city!) As far as the landscaping and gardns, I don't remember much of that, but I would imagine that a large part of that is from Washington's history as a planned city. Where other places like NY, Boston, Baltimore, and Philly started out as towns and grew into cities, Washington was completely made up, and it was master planned. I don't know if Arlington and Alexandria were included in that (I've always liked how DC froms part of a square on the map, which is almost completed by those two cities in VA) but it is possible. I also remeber looking at Arlington, across the river from DC- those buildings, which look like a College Blvd business park, look like the real skyline- since nothing can be taller than the capital. I love that city!
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

The D.C. subway system is great... clean, efficient, modern, spacious, etc.

As for the billboards, right now Missouri cities and counties have very little legal authority to regulate billboards. Groups like Scenic Missouri have tried in recent years to give cities greater powers to control or ban billboards in some areas, but so far the billboard company lobby has been too powerful. So write your reps and let them know what you think.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

I was at our states capital a week ago too :)
my photos are real film pictures and i didnt want to spend time scanning them, (maybe 17 rolls or 30, something like that)
i am going to Chicago next year for a wedding, im excited cuz im gonna go up the Sears Tower! (yay)
my parents also hope to take me to NYC again and we can spend more time there. Now i have been to
Missouri, Kansas, Okalahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Virginia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York and the District of Columbia :)
and soon i may add Illinois to that list :)
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

does anyone still want to see pictures?
mpls
Pad site
Pad site

Post by mpls »

i would!