Portland, Oregon

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Portland, Oregon

Post by bbqboy »

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonia ... xml&coll=7

Less driving is more cash for Portland
Urban living - The metro area saves on mileage, a study finds, and mostly uses it to fill the local economy's tank
Related Documents (PDF):
Monday, August 20, 2007
DYLAN RIVERA
The Oregonian Staff

Because Portland-Vancouver drivers log 20 percent fewer miles a day than most U.S. urban dwellers and spend less on cars and gasoline as a result, the region's economy saves $2.6 billion a year, or about 3 percent of the area's annual economic output, according to a new study for the Chicago-based CEOs for Cities.

And most of that money, which otherwise would go to far-flung car makers and oil companies, appears to go instead to housing, entertainment and food in the Portland-area economy.

"It stimulates local businesses rather than rewarding Exxon or Toyota," says the five-page report titled "Portland's Green Dividend" and authored by Portland economist Joe Cortright.
cont....
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Just got back from a business trip to Portland.  First trip out there in ~20 years.  I see what everyone has been saying - about half the population and twice the density.  Only place I have seen more people on bike is Amsterdam.  We headed over to the Perl District for dinner one of the nights and it was everything advertised - I was particularly jealous of the urban, multi-story whole foods in the heart of the neighborhood and the five story block sized bookstore/beatnik coffee shop. 

Defninitely the sort of trip to leave you frustrated with the pace of urban progress in KC. 
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

im going to get out there sometime. ive said that about 10 times on here. i just didnt want to visit west without an east coast and thorough midwest context to fall back on. i'm about done with exploring east coast city's, been hitting Chicago pretty hard (which some neighborhoods and establishments/culture seem to be gaining some similarities with Portland as i imagine it...not to mention the upsurge in pedestrian improvements and accommodation there), and will continue to, and by summer i hope to be ready to hit San Francisco and Portland. LA is for another winter. i'll enjoy the contrasts between the east and west, im sure.
Last edited by warwickland on Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I forgot to mention - some rediculously good beer was had on the trip as well.  The standout for those of us who just can't get enough hops was the Broken Halo IPA from Widmer. 
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

anyone camped at crater lake national park, or around the three sisters area? i'm debating which area i should focus on.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

warwickland wrote: im going to get out there sometime. ive said that about 10 times on here. i just didnt want to visit west without an east coast and thorough midwest context to fall back on. i'm about done with exploring east coast city's, been hitting Chicago pretty hard (which some neighborhoods and establishments/culture seem to be gaining some similarities with Portland as i imagine it...not to mention the upsurge in pedestrian improvements and accommodation there), and will continue to, and by summer i hope to be ready to hit San Francisco and Portland. LA is for another winter. i'll enjoy the contrasts between the east and west, im sure.
ALRIGHT. I'm heading to PDX in less than three weeks. The first night I'll be in staying by the Airport..., well, I will be running around gathering supplies for 4 days in the woods, but when I'm done, i'd like to take the Red line down to Hollywood (anybody know the vibe? Kard?) and have a few MICROSCOPICS and some eats...and then walk down to Hawthorne. Anyone have any specific suggestions?

Then, I'll be downtown and downtown-ish (mcmenamins WHITE EAGLE) thursday and friday nights after a sh**, shave,
and shower.

also, i'm going to try to climb (hike) south sister (easier of the big oregon mountains)...we will see what w/ the elevation and having become out of shape...
Last edited by warwickland on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Suggestions (in no particular order):

1) Jake's Famous Crawfish
2) Apizza Scholls*
3) Tugboat
4) Lucky Labrador*
5) Voodoo Doughnut
6) Old Town Pizza
7) Kennedy School*
8) Powell's Books
9) Roots Organic Brewing*

* = Vaguely kind of close to Hollywood. Same side of the river, anyway.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

mean wrote: Suggestions (in no particular order):

1) Jake's Famous Crawfish
2) Apizza Scholls*
3) Tugboat
4) Lucky Labrador*
5) Voodoo Doughnut
6) Old Town Pizza
7) Kennedy School*
8) Powell's Books
9) Roots Organic Brewing*

* = Vaguely kind of close to Hollywood. Same side of the river, anyway.
very nice, thank you. i almost stayed at the kennedy school, but i was already staying in a mcmenamins establishment one night. i'll have to see what i missed.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

W-land, if you make it clear down to Southern Oregon and Crater Lake, shoot me an email.
  Hollywood to Hawthorne is a fair hike.
Check out Alberta Street and Belmont on your way.
26th and Clinton is a nice little area too.
  Here's the Portland Food site:
    http://www.portlandfood.org
Ask your beer and food questions there.
You might enjoy Kenny and Zukes Deli w/ ho-made Pastrami downtown, run by the webmaster Nick.
  Minor league BB in Civic Stadium is a good time.
  http://www.fodcartsportland.com
Anything else just ask.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

definitely try to go to a show at the Doug Fir Lounge, and check out Rad Summer, a DIY clothing/artifact/music space.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

i'm not that familiar with the hollywood neighborhood, but from the couple bike/bus rides i've had through it, (aside from the main commercial strip) it's a lot of single family homes stuck close together with the kind of streets you'd feel fine with your kids playing in the front yard.  you'd have an enjoyable walk from there to Hawthone provided it's not too hot.  i usually spend more time in Woodstock to the south because of where my brother lives.

but yeah...you might like these:
-Horse Brass - on your walk to Hawthorne at 45th and Belmonte  http://www.horsebrass.com/
-Hopworks - new'ish and well-hyped place at 29th and Powell; hop the 75 bus down 39th to Powell and walk west (..Powell prob isn't very fun to walk down, sry)
-OR skip Hopworks and hit Lucky Lab at 9th and Hawthorne (i like this lucky lab better than the one in the pearl)
-Deschutes from Bend opened up a snazzy place in the Pearl at 11th and..Davis? I think.  clean up before you go; the pearl is full of yuppies and martini glasses.  http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/default.aspx
-Hot Lips Pizza..usually my first stop when I'm out there.  i like the one in the pearl.
-also visit the NW 23rd neighborhood; very cool..like the shops in westport but for like a mile long

have fun hiking.  one of my favorites was from Wahkeena Falls to Angels Rest, to Devil's Rest, then down to Multnomah Falls.  Multnomah is a busy place, but it's worth it if you can make it out there.  i can't say how much i love hiking in the gorge.  it's probably my favorite thing to do in Oregon.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

chrizow wrote: definitely try to go to a show at the Doug Fir Lounge, and check out Rad Summer, a DIY clothing/artifact/music space.

I've been back and forth on staying at the jupiter (w/ the doug fir)...that first night (august 23rd my birthday)...but the minimum stay is 2 nights...i'd rather be on a mountain i guess.
Last edited by warwickland on Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

kard wrote: i'm not that familiar with the hollywood neighborhood, but from the couple bike/bus rides i've had through it, (aside from the main commercial strip) it's a lot of single family homes stuck close together with the kind of streets you'd feel fine with your kids playing in the front yard.  you'd have an enjoyable walk from there to Hawthone provided it's not too hot.  i usually spend more time in Woodstock to the south because of where my brother lives.

but yeah...you might like these:
-Horse Brass - on your walk to Hawthorne at 45th and Belmonte  http://www.horsebrass.com/
-Hopworks - new'ish and well-hyped place at 29th and Powell; hop the 75 bus down 39th to Powell and walk west (..Powell prob isn't very fun to walk down, sry)
-OR skip Hopworks and hit Lucky Lab at 9th and Hawthorne (i like this lucky lab better than the one in the pearl)
-Deschutes from Bend opened up a snazzy place in the Pearl at 11th and..Davis? I think.  clean up before you go; the pearl is full of yuppies and martini glasses.  http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/default.aspx
-Hot Lips Pizza..usually my first stop when I'm out there.  i like the one in the pearl.
-also visit the NW 23rd neighborhood; very cool..like the shops in westport but for like a mile long

have fun hiking.  one of my favorites was from Wahkeena Falls to Angels Rest, to Devil's Rest, then down to Multnomah Falls.  Multnomah is a busy place, but it's worth it if you can make it out there.  i can't say how much i love hiking in the gorge.  it's probably my favorite thing to do in Oregon.
thanks for the info...i'll be interested to see the pearl, but nice to know what it is.
Tom in KC
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Tom in KC »

I'm going to Portland next week...anyone know if the Green Line through downtown is finished yet?
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Tom in KC wrote: I'm going to Portland next week...anyone know if the Green Line through downtown is finished yet?
no.  2nd half of 2009 i think.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

i covered a great deal of portland...even 82nd street! though, i was nearly depressed when i had to leave the dynamic splendor of outstate oregon to head back into portland. never have i clambered through a snow strewn alpine environment to be swimming in an ocean (a  cold, life giving/sucking ocean) 2 days later. oregon is so great, that PDX is a disappointment in that context! (i'll be headed back in a two part portland-seattle only fall or spring rail trip).
Last edited by warwickland on Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

swimming!?!  :shock:
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

bbqboy wrote: swimming!?!  :shock:
Yep, a lot of people were in the water at Cape Lookout (near Tillamook) -it was sunny and low 70s-HOT. I first had to numb my body, but was good to go. I also fell asleep at like 7 that night from the energy my body expended trying to stay warm.