Chicago

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Chicago

Post by macnw »

Just got back from Chicago. There is so much redevelopment going on in or around downtown, its amazing. Went to this area called the Prarie District about 1.5 miles south of the El. This area made me realize the potential of River Market and Crossroads. There were so many old/new renovated buildings, it was amazing. In my mind, the mass transit is the key to the success in Chicago. This area was really run down 10 years ago, but the revitalization has been dramatic. No reason why KC cannot duplicate what Chicago has achieved. Some type of transit needs to come soon. Minimize the parking and encourage employers to offer transit vouchers if people will use mass transit. The issue in Chicago is parking is so outrageous, people don't really have a choice. Pay or ride the El. KC needs to learn from this. If people want to drive and park, let them pay the premium prices! That it turn will slow the construction of parking garages, thereby limiting the use of TIF funds for parking and consequently encouraging people to use mass transit :)
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Chicago

Post by bahua »

-bump-

Didn't anybody notice this?

Yeah, I didn't either. Sorry about that, macnw.