Lincoln, Nebraska

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by warwickland »

Spent some time there saturday morning riding my bike around and soaking in all that is Lincoln...sort of. I dont have much time to recall much, unfortunately.

I was there quite early, however, so there wasnt a lot of activity until around the time i left. but the city is surprisingly bike friendly, with bike paths all over the city, and out into the sprawl. Downtown was surprisingly urban, with nice wide sidewalks and decent streetwalls. There are quite a lot of historic and nicely scaled buildings. A few skywalks as well to my chagrin. The historic haymarket is sort of like our rivermarket, but with what seems like more covered outdoor seating facing the street on what might have been loading docks at one time. The sprawl to the east of downtown is ridiculously low density, especially on the very fringe.

edit: here are some mediocre pics from around downtown lincoln and the unl campus. downtown lincoln is much more urbane and varied than i would have thought. the city had a strange vibe, even though there werent many people out at the time. i wish i could have seen downtown at night.

old haymarket.

there was a unl student puking in the middle of the street as i took this picture.  :lol:

wtf?
whoops.
Last edited by warwickland on Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by chrizow »

excellent.  i'd like to hear more.  i like college towns, and i've heard lincoln is a pretty cool one, as Big 12 towns go.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

chrizow wrote: excellent.  i'd like to hear more.  i like college towns, and i've heard lincoln is a pretty cool one, as Big 12 towns go.
my friend, who's a bit of trendoid, really didn't like Lincoln when he lived there. Was going to move to L and ended up moving to MPLS after a year in Lincoln. His taste isn't all that refined or anything and if he didn't like it I know I couldn't stomach it.

Lincoln is a lot like if Topeka and Lawrence were one town... :puke:
Last edited by trailerkid on Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

**Edit: this was really meant to go in the corresponding thread in the Out of Town Talk section, but for some reason my eyes glazed over it. Oops.**

If you're in downtown Lincoln and are looking for a Manifesto-type speakeasy/cocktail bar, The Other Room will meet your needs quite nicely (if there's space inside; it only seats 25).

More generally, if you haven't been to Lincoln in the past year or two, the Haymarket area of downtown has changed quite a bit; a new arena opened up last fall, along with an adjacent entertainment district explicitly modeled after Power & Light.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

swid wrote:**Edit: this was really meant to go in the corresponding thread in the Out of Town Talk section, but for some reason my eyes glazed over it. Oops.**

If you're in downtown Lincoln and are looking for a Manifesto-type speakeasy/cocktail bar, The Other Room will meet your needs quite nicely (if there's space inside; it only seats 25).

More generally, if you haven't been to Lincoln in the past year or two, the Haymarket area of downtown has changed quite a bit; a new arena opened up last fall, along with an adjacent entertainment district explicitly modeled after Power & Light.
Just got back, great place. Bartender was nails. She was wearing a Manifesto shirt.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

shinatoo wrote:
swid wrote:**Edit: this was really meant to go in the corresponding thread in the Out of Town Talk section, but for some reason my eyes glazed over it. Oops.**

Just got back, great place.
Did you get your million dollars?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Highlander wrote:
shinatoo wrote:

Huh?
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

shinatoo wrote:
Highlander wrote:
shinatoo wrote:
Huh?
What? You didn't see the lowest-grossing Best Picture nominee this year? Alas...
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

swid wrote:
shinatoo wrote:
Highlander wrote:
Huh?
What? You didn't see the lowest-grossing Best Picture nominee this year? Alas...
The Oscars are like the Big 10, slow, boring and Nebraska never wins.