chrizow goes to kansas city.

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

ah yes.

i returned to KC this weekend for various reasons: father's day, my mom's birthday, and to go to the dentist.

things started off great. the drive on i-70 was amusing, as i demonstrated Road Rage Chrizow to a wily Chevy Avalanche. in short: no one is going to ride my ass for 10 minutes then try to blaze around me. no sir. i will push the Honda to 125mph for the sole purpose of not letting a vehicle pass me, if said vehicle's driver is being an asshole. thus, Avalanche got a nice look at my bumper (and my raised middle finger) for the 50 mile stretch from Concordia to KC.

arrived home at 8 friday. greeted by dogs. my neighborhood smelled like barbecue. dad and myself went to waldo pizza and brought back 3 delicious pies. i of course consumed an entire pizza myself (olive, red onion, mushroom on regular crust). the rest of the evening was spent conversing with my mother, playing with my dogs, and watching While You Were Out.

saturday morning, dad and i went to Pastry Goddess in Independence to get a birthday cake for mom and pastries for ourselves. if you are ever out in independence in that plaza with the Ultimate Electronics and Dress Barn, do visit Pastry Goddess. trained pastry chefs run the place, and their delicious treats are the utmost in quality. bonus: they serve Roasterie coffee. this suburban strip mall establishment gets a very enthusiastic thumbs up from me.

saturday evening, i heeded the call of high school friends to "go out." we piled into the Honda and set off down Gregory to "the city." there are more efficient ways to get to the plaza area from raytown than gregory, but i always take gregory to main (not Brookside - Main) so i can drive north through all the glorious leafy neighborhoods and picture myself in the sunrooms, porches, alcoves, and attics of each home. i think these neighborhoods are my favorite part of kansas city. it isn't a destination. not showy. just people living their lives in beautiful homes. it was a nice cool night saturday, so people were out in sweatshirts walking their dogs, playing tennis, watching kids go down the street on a trike, etc. Americana.

after this bit of urban/suburban reverie, we went to westport. we got a table outside at Harry's Bar and Tables and just chilled out with a few Blvd Wheat drafts. per usual, Harry's was playing a calm mix of reggae and late 60s singer-songwriter stuff. we were easily the youngest people there when we arrived. i must extend props to the ballsy gentleman in the white Jeep Grand Cherokee (with 20" gold spinners), who parked his ride in the street as he ducked into Harry's to pick up a cigar. i guess when you need a cigar, you need a cigar - traffic flow be damned.

as the sun set, it became too cold to sit outside at Harry's anymore, so we headed over to Teadrops so i could check it out. very cool place. i had a small jasmine tea to offset the Beer Burn i was having. had a beer at AC's Garage, which is a cool down-to-earth spot. it reminds me of a place Drew Carey would drink. no frills, no posturing, and good beer. the open garage door is a cool touch.

we decided not to do the "Westport 'Til the Cops Come" sort of night and headed to the Plaza, where we consumed more intoxicating libations and other various and sundry substances. i stepped into George Brett's momentarily, only to verify i didn't want to stay. if i were a bit older and a sports fan, i think GB's would be a great place to hang with friends. classy.

BIG props to the dozens of folks on the sidewalk who spontaneously heckled two 20something douchebags in a Viper convertible as they slowly crept down 47th, showing off their ride. people just yelled stuff at them, indicating that, at the end of the day, a red Viper doesn't really make up for a bad haircut and wearing sunglasses at night.

we went to Mi Cocina, which is now my favorite "cool" bar in Kansas City. the crowd was primped and pretty, which was a nice change from the more laidback Harry's and AC's, but i didn't get the impression that anyone was pretentious or snobby. just well-dressed folks out getting schnockered in a cool setting with cool music. very nice. we stayed there for a while, then headed to Sidney's for coffee, toast, and conversation. nothing better than toast with strawberry jam and crappy diner coffee at 2am after a night at the bars. with that, we sobered up and headed back to Raytowna Beach. naturally, i drove down Main with the windows down and sunroof open and breezy brazilian flavors on the cd player. very cool to drive down an empty Main Street saturday night.

sunday afternoon was Father's Day bidness. nothing cool there.

sunday night a longtime friend and i went out for some beers and strolling on the Plaza. things started off great as he picked me up in his new Saab, which made for great cruising. we went to Canyon Cafe because my friend said it was Happy Hour. WRONG. Blvd. Wheats for $3.75 ain't too bad though. after a few of those, we strolled around the plaza. it was a great night to be out and about on the plaza, even though the only things open were a few restaurants and B+N. it was warm and breezy and lots of people were out just enjoying the night. friendly folks, too - we engaged many a fly honey in stimulating conversation. after walking around a bit, we headed to Westport to have coffee at Broadway Cafe. once again, and much to my delight, Starbucks was nearly devoid of people (i counted 3) while Broadway Cafe was overflowing out onto the sidewalk. Broadway is such a cool place to hang with a true melting pot of people. homeless people, goths, asian kids talking in their native tongue, indie rock hipsters, Garrison Keiler-types: all sip on their respective hot beverages in harmony in this cool setting. definitely a KC landmark IMO.

i guess that's it for my weekend in KC. it was pretty low-key (like me), but with just the right touch of debauchery and tomfoolery thrown in to make it cool. i'll probably be back a lot this summer.

:cheers:
Last edited by chrizow on Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

i drove down Main with the windows down and sunroof open and breezy brazilian flavors on the cd player. very cool to drive down an empty Main Street saturday night

I know that feeling...nothing better is right.

Did you go into the basement of Mi Cocina?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

si, si!!!

i got my jiggy on.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I haven't been in awhile but I heard they were trying to make it pretty exclusive down there...ie. not everybody gets in....yes,no?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

hmm, dunno. we got there fairly early (like 10 or 10:30) and didn't really have a problem.

or MAYBE i am just TOO COOL for school and they didn't want to hassle me, because they knew they'd get PUNK'D.

8)

with the uniform hotness of the crowd, i wouldn't be surprised if they weeded out the hoosiers at the door, but we got in with no hassle, and there was no line or anything. when we left, there was a small crowd wanting to get in, but i think they were just doing a "one out: one in" sort of thing since it was so crowded.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

KCPowercat wrote:
i drove down Main with the windows down and sunroof open and breezy brazilian flavors on the cd player. very cool to drive down an empty Main Street saturday night

I know that feeling...nothing better is right.
I hate to sound like a tireless bike dork, but try doing the very same thing down dark, quiet residential streets on a bicycle. Just the whirring of your drive train as you pass through deserted streets. It is an amazing feeling -- like you are the only one in the world and every house is yours.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

staubio wrote: I hate to sound like a tireless bike dork, but try doing the very same thing down dark, quiet residential streets on a bicycle. Just the whirring of your drive train as you pass through deserted streets. It is an amazing feeling -- like you are the only one in the world and every house is yours.

that sounds awesome. too bad i dont have a bike. ](*,)
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

chrizow wrote:
staubio wrote: I hate to sound like a tireless bike dork, but try doing the very same thing down dark, quiet residential streets on a bicycle. Just the whirring of your drive train as you pass through deserted streets. It is an amazing feeling -- like you are the only one in the world and every house is yours.

If you are in town and wanting to try a night bike ride, drop me a PM and I'll loan you a bike. That goes for everyone, actually. At least everyone 5'8" to 6'1" :-)
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

staubio wrote:
chrizow wrote:

If you are in town and wanting to try a night bike ride, drop me a PM and I'll loan you a bike. That goes for everyone, actually. At least everyone 5'8" to 6'1" :-)
i'd like to accompany you while on my rockhopper some time, staubio.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

StL_Dan wrote: i'd like to accompany you while on my rockhopper some time, staubio.
Dan: PM me anytime and we can set something up. I'm always game for a bike ride.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

staubio wrote:
StL_Dan wrote: i'd like to accompany you while on my rockhopper some time, staubio.
Dan: PM me anytime and we can set something up. I'm always game for a bike ride.
sounds good
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

speaking of bikes...

where should i buy a bike? is there a place in the kc area that is great for that? or, like so many things, should i go online?

dan: how do you like the Rockhopper? that is one i was thinking about. from what i've read, it is the best bike for the money. i dont plan on doing a lot of hardcore off-road stuff, but i do want a bike that could handle some terrain if necessary.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

chrizow wrote:speaking of bikes...

where should i buy a bike? is there a place in the kc area that is great for that? or, like so many things, should i go online?

dan: how do you like the Rockhopper? that is one i was thinking about. from what i've read, it is the best bike for the money. i dont plan on doing a lot of hardcore off-road stuff, but i do want a bike that could handle some terrain if necessary.
Chriz: That is a loaded question. It depends on your priorities. Open up a thread in the bar and we can discuss in more detail, but I will say this: don't buy a bike online. You want to establish a relationship with your shop. Buying locally gives you a place to get repairs and warranty service. Usually a shop will hook you up with adjustements and minor repairs for free for awhile -- and these things are absolutely necessary. Unless you are a bike mechanic, I'd recommend buying around here.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I can vouch for... Midwest Cyclery in Westport, Wheelers in Waldo, and River Market Cyclery. Definitely better to buy from a good local shop that can provide ongoing support.