chrizow goes to The Lou.

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
JivecitySTL
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

chrizow goes to The Lou.

Post by JivecitySTL »

Chrizow-- I'm glad you got to explore Saint Louis, but I am troubled by your painting the city as a "ghost town." Yes, the city fell hard, but it never died. Most of the decline has been concentrated on the North Side and many city neighborhoods are in better shape today than they have ever been. No old city in America is what it used to be, but St. Louis is making great strides. There has never been more investment in the city in my lifetime than there is now. The population loss is slowing down, and there are people moving back into the denser neighborhoods. Population is shifting, not really declining. Many people are moving to outer suburbs, but many others are moving into the city again.

For those of us who live here in the city, St. Louis is very much alive. There is always room for improvement, but the urban fabric of the city is indeed vibrant and diverse.
You can't spell STYLE without STL.
www.stl-style.com
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

chrizow goes to The Lou.

Post by chrizow »

i dont think the City as a whole is a ghost town. there are vibrant pockets and dead pockets and everything in between. that seems fair.

i love st. louis city. make no mistake.
Louman
New York Life
New York Life

chrizow goes to The Lou.

Post by Louman »

dangerboy wrote:Louman, does the CWE include much office space? I always thought it was mostly apartments and stores. The Plaza, like Clayton, is a suburbanite-friendly "second downtown." It has equal parts shopping, residential, and office - including several high rises and corporate headquarters.
The CWE does have lots of office in usually older low-and-mid rises, commercial strip centers, and the like. It's the largest employment center outside of downtown - not Clayton. Some old homes and mansions are also used as office space.

CWE also has Washington University Medical Center and its health care related facilities and offices.

The picture below is about ¼ the size of the medical center in the CWE.