Los Angeles & San Diego

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Los Angeles & San Diego

Post by bahua »

Just got back from a business and pleasure trip in southern California. I had never been to either of the aforementioned cities before, so I was looking forward to this trip a lot. You can find the pictures on http://bahua.com/htpics/socal200405 .

LA wasn't at all what I expected. I expected to find a lot of rotten neighborhoods, and a massive sprawl of suburban development within the city limits, surrounding a mostly dead(after 5) downtown, with, like Kansas City, plentiful free parking.

What I found was a crowded city full of young people with lots of disposable income, and vital, urban neighborhoods, all the way from downtown west to the ocean. Traffic was terrible, both on city streets and on the many many freeways, and there is very little reprieve, in the way of parking. It's expensive and sparse.

I understand that there are bad neighborhoods south, east, and a bit north of downtown, and that the SFV is mostly just common, lower middle-class housing. But, what I saw was an expansive area, covering probably 150 square miles. I was very impressed with LA, and I look forward to getting back some time.

I drove down to San Diego(via the crawling 405) on Friday morning, and spent the weekend there, catching the Cubs-Padres series. San Diego could hardly be more different from LA, and still be as cool as it is. the Gaslamp Quarter, where we stayed, was chock-full of things to do and places to go. It looks like downtown San Diego has undergone some serious reinvestment in the last ten years or so, but it definitely looks like a much older, more traditional city than LA, if you take my meaning.

Petco Park was really cool, without a bad seat in the park, but the consessions were expensive, and the seat service was outright bullshit. We were handed menus from the left, from which we could order drinks, and pay taxes, a service charge and a required gratuity, none of which were incurred by getting up and getting a beer yourself.

Also, I gripe that they are card-happy in San Diego. There was one place, called the Yard House, just down the street from where we stayed, that claimed to have the "World's largest draft selection," and didn't. They had 110 drafts, which is definitely a lot, but it was basically the same four or five flavors repeated over and over again, by a bunch of breweries I had heard of. Barley's is more diverse, by far, with 99 drafts. Anyway, they carded us at the door, then again at the bar, and then again at a table. This all happened within the space of about fifteen minutes.

Anyway, the trip was very fun, and I hope to make it back to both cities soon.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Los Angeles & San Diego

Post by dangerboy »

I had the same reaction the first time I visited LA, it wasn't the vast suburban wasteland I was trained to expect. Yes it takes up a lot of land, but it has something like 8-10 million people. Although the Valley is considered a typical suburban example, it's a lot denser than any suburb in the Midwest. It's mostly small houses on tiny lots. Nothing like Olathe or Lee's Summit or whatever.
CGPinFL
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Los Angeles & San Diego

Post by CGPinFL »

Thanks for posting your pics and thoughts on Los Angeles, it makes me feel much better about my job interview there next Wednesday. You're right, we have these images ingrained in us from an early age about places like LA and New York and usually things aren't nearly as bad as we think they will be.

Did you happen to spend any time in the Wilshire/Miracle Mile area of West LA? The office I'll be working in if I am offered (and accept) the position is a block from the LA County Museum of Art.

Thanks,
Charlie
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Los Angeles & San Diego

Post by QueSi2Opie »

I've been to the Northern California cities a few times (SF, Sac, etc.), but never to the Southern Cali cities. However, that is about to change. My father-in-law jus' got a $150k job outside of L.A. and they will be moving out there next month. We're suppose to fly out and visit them in September after they settle in their new apartment. My wife and her family are originally from California, so it won't be a big shock for my in-laws. My wife grew up in San Diego and Sacramento before her pops got a job offer in KC back in 1992. Any tips on must see destinations in Los Angeles?
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Los Angeles & San Diego

Post by KCLofts »

QueSi2Opie wrote:Any tips on must see destinations in Los Angeles?
LA has some great museums. The Getty museum is a spectacular building on a hilltop with amazing views of the city. You need to make reservations to go there. As a car buff, I loved the Petersen Automotive Museum. I think there are several other LA County museums right near the Petersen.

There are some decent bars on the Sunset Strip, maybe worth checking out one night. But I've discovered that I much prefer the beach towns just south of LAX. Manhattan and Hermosa Beach are more laid back and relaxed with lots of fun bars right on the ocean. Look for a place called Sharky's on the pier (in Hermosa I think).

Santa Monica, a bit north of LA, is really nice. It has a big pier, beautiful beaches (that's where they filmed Baywatch), and lots of shopping, restaurants and nightlife on the 3rd ST Promenade. Johnny's Pizza rocks! The Lobster on the pier has excellent seafood and fantastic views - great if you want to impress someone ($$$).

Also, if you haven't been to In 'n Out for hamburgers, you have to find one. An absolute must for me any time I'm out there.

If you've got some time to kill, drive out through the Topanga Canyon and north on the Pacific Coast Highway to Santa Barbara. Its a great day trip. Beautiful and diverse scenery on the drive.

Melrose Ave has a bunch of funky shops, but I can't remember the exact area. There's a couple blocks that are fun and interesting, but that's it.

If you're into art, drive south to Laguna Beach. Tons of galleries. If you're in that area, drive a little further south to the new Montage Resort. Its an amazing place. We had lunch there one day, but you can just park and walk along the cliffs/beach that the resort has landscaped - its all open to the public and very beautiful.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Los Angeles & San Diego

Post by GuyInLenexa »

I was in LA/OrangeCo/San Diego last week, one great secret in the LA area is Long Beach!
I went to the Pacific Aquarium and enjoyed the waterfront area. They did a lot to it since I was in LB last in 2001.
Beaches in SD are nice but the water is COLD! Glad I am going to Miami next month !