Phoenix

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Phoenix

Post by DaveKCMO »

I like Tucson and hate Phoenix. How was your flight departing Sky Harbor? Last time I arrived/departed there it was very rough and I was told they have some unique weather that makes that happen quite often.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:25 pm I like Tucson and hate Phoenix. How was your flight departing Sky Harbor? Last time I arrived/departed there it was very rough and I was told they have some unique weather that makes that happen quite often.
Arrival was smooth but that was 6 AM. Departing was a lot rougher at 6:30 PM. I expected as much when on the way to the airport my car was nearly blown off I-10 by a dust devil. Very windy day and we felt the wind shear taking off.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Agree, Tucson and Flagstaff both nice, Phoenix is a giant suburb, a place to just exist. Stayed at a resort hotel for work event though in Tucson, which felt like isolated entrapment.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

earthling wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:09 pm Agree, Tucson and Flagstaff both nice, Phoenix is a giant suburb, a place to just exist. Stayed at a resort hotel for work event though in Tucson, which felt like isolated entrapment.
Was it like Lowes Ventana Canyon or Starr Pass?

If you explore 4th Avenue, Downton and the University along the streetcar it's much more of a walkable community than the sprawl surrounding up to Oro Valley and Davis Mothan in the south Definitely just block upon block of squat ranch homes along big, long 4 lane roads. Literally no highways except I-10.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Link
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There are not many places in Arizona--south of the Mongollon Rim--that are pleasant to walk outside this time of year.

Tucson is more liberal than Phoenix. Nogales and Flagstaff are the most liberal cities in Arizona.

I love Saguaro National Monument. It's great to get there just as the sun sets. One can watch the color scheme of the sky change behind the tall saquaro cacti.

In Greater Phoenix, downtown Tempe, and Old Town Scottsdale along 5th Avenue, are about the only walkable areas as long as it's not too hot. Downtown Phoenix has never been very walkable seeing that it's blocks are pedestrian-hostile.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Tempe > Phoenix > Scottsdale > Glendale

Not much personality in any of them. Not a fan of that metro. The only place in AZ I ever want to go back to is the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.