Shanghai trip/photos

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Shanghai trip/photos

Post by warwickland »

I've just returned from China, thought I would share some photos. I have more instagram photos which I am currently shuffling through that have more transit related stuff that I may post.

<M O G A N S H A N>

<S H A N G H A I>

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Shanghai trip/photos

Post by mean »

Very interesting. Makes me kinda want to visit China, although I'd hate to go solo since I'm not Han.

Which may be somewhat true, but probably deserves harsh punishment.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Thanks for sharing--how did you find getting around? Pretty simple?
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Beautiful and informative photos. Thank you.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

smh wrote:Thanks for sharing--how did you find getting around? Pretty simple?
yes, actually. the shanghai metro - although vast - is very modern and it's very simple to buy tickets. english is everywhere...older people were harder to interact with, and would get on my case on the HSR for things like not stowing things just right. most people under 40 knew some english, people in their 20s basically fluent...

shanghai is the largest city in the world but the scale of everything kind of felt like chicago...until i left the center and saw dense "suburbs" stretching into infinity.

the inter-city HSR was more if a learning curve, ticketing agents (and people in general) are more curt with foreigners outside of shanghai, although not terrible. i did witness people of african descent getting really weird attention, although most of "global" shanghai (bund/pudong/french concession is rather polygot and didnt see that kind of thing there.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

mean wrote:Very interesting. Makes me kinda want to visit China, although I'd hate to go solo since I'm not Han.

Which may be somewhat true, but probably deserves harsh punishment.
boatloads of europeans, americans, south americans, some africans in shanghai. outside of central shanghai not so much. a place deep in sichuan like chengdu i hear people can be weird, but not aggressive anout foreigners.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Sorry, it was just a bad Star Wars pun. Han Solo? Harsh PUNishment? HAR HAR HAR!

Yeah, I'll let myself out.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Great pictures. I note the haze in the area in all the skyline pictures. Is that just humidity or is it pollution? I hear Beijing can be particularly bad and would not be surprised if Shanghai had similar issues. I've never been to China. Would love to go there and Japan. My company has (and has had) offices throughout Asia but I always worked the other side - the former USSR part of Asia - and went there often.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

mean wrote:Sorry, it was just a bad Star Wars pun. Han Solo? Harsh PUNishment? HAR HAR HAR!

Yeah, I'll let myself out.
i completely missed that WOW :lol:
Last edited by warwickland on Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Highlander wrote:Great pictures. I note the haze in the area in all the skyline pictures. Is that just humidity or is it pollution? I hear Beijing can be particularly bad and would not be surprised if Shanghai had similar issues. I've never been to China. Would love to go there and Japan. My company has (and has had) offices throughout Asia but I always worked the other side - the former USSR part of Asia - and went there often.
thanks! owing to the geography and climate, the area is subject to fog/haze. it's right on a very low lying river delta near the sea not unlike new orleans (the climate seems similar, athough with more of a pacific ocean oceanic influence/feel...barely). that being said, smog is ever-present, although there was only one day that was really, really bad. i remember walking into my hotel room and the window was open, much to my horror.

the other days were only like the worst days i've ever experienced in urban missouri. which is still not good, but the worst day was an entirely different level. from what i can tell and hear from my friends in shanghai, beijing is an entirely different level, again. people used to shanghai smog get sick in beijing from the smog.