St Louis weekend

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

St Louis weekend

Post by KCPowercat »

Well been to St. Louis so many times on trips like this, it gets harder and harder to find cool stuff to do but did a good job this time.

Got free hotel rooms in STL, so decided to take the 3 day weekend in the other MO city.

Left about noon from KC on Sat......I-70 isn't nearly as bad as everybody makes it out to be. Got stuck in some bad wreck that closed both sides of the interstate for like 9 hours...luckily jumped a frontage road and got around it. Pulled into STL, stayed at the Renaissance Suites by the convention center, jumped the metrolink and headed to Savvis for the hockey game. Didn't have tickets but we figured we could find some. Ate at Jacque's in the ground level of the new Sheraton....must be the hot spot before and after Blues games. Found tickets from a scalper 5 minutes before the drop, face value $25 tickets, first row. Very happy with the seats.....we both decided hockey isn't our favorite sport but still fun. Back to hotel, too cold to go out.

Sunday went to the Cathedral Basillica in CWE. Even if you aren't catholic, you must see this building if you never have. Simply amazing. Been there one other time and still amazed at the size and beauty of it. Then drove/walked around CWE (too cold to walk long) and couldn't find any place to eat (this is an theme when we go to STL, which is why I always ask people for places to eat), saw a few places but nothing we were looking for (many brunches and Pub type food). Picked up a Riverfront times and decided to go to Schafly's brewery and eat there....like on 20th & Locust. Good food. Finished off the beer sampler which was also good. Wanted to get out and take some pictures but too cold for my tagalong and it was snowing so back to the hotel to watch the playoff games.

That night went to S.N.O.W. (Sunday Night On Washington) which was a collection of clubs (8 of them) who had free cover...kind of like a First Friday deal for clubs...very cool deal. Guess this is the 2nd one they've done. All clubs pretty crowded which was awesome with all the cold weather. All the clubs were much smaller than I expected from their buildings but very cool to have all those clubs (mostly dance clubs) grouped together like that. Tangerine (only non-dance club) mixed the best drinks out of all of them we went to. We went to Isis, Rue13, Velvet, Tangerine, & Deep Six. Called it a night at about 2 I think.

This morning (ok LATE morning) got up and headed over to Clayton where we thought we'd go shop for a bit....she wanted to. Drove around Clayton, again finding nowhere to eat....ended up at Applebees :( Skipped shopping, thought we'd try to find that new Mills mall but both just wanted to get home, so here we are.

No pics taken except for a couple at the clubs......great trip overall. Got to see my first NHL game and a bunch of new clubs.....still missing the good restaurants (granted we skipped the Hill which we knew had great grub).

Thanks neighbors, good trip.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

St Louis weekend

Post by phxcat »

Well, thank goodness you missed Imo's! :puke:

I wanted to go to St. Louis Mills too- I think that malls are a bit passe, but I guess it has the Blues practice facitlity attached, which would be cool. I missed it though- but I got to see a lot of the south end- Soulard, the Hill, etc.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

St Louis weekend

Post by StL_Dan »

you didn't go to Spiro's? you LOSER 8)
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
KCPowercat
Ambassador

St Louis weekend

Post by KCPowercat »

Damn, I forgot actually.......didn't even get White Castle....

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

St Louis weekend

Post by StL_Dan »

KC wrote:Damn, I forgot actually.......didn't even get White Castle....
you didn't go to White Castle!!!!! you really ARE a loser, KC....i am so disappointed with you at this point
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

St Louis weekend

Post by bahua »

White Castle isn't even a St. Louis thing. Steak n' Shake isn't either, but it's closer, and would hence get my recommendation.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: St Louis weekend

Post by StL_Dan »

KC wrote:Left about noon from KC on Sat......I-70 isn't nearly as bad as everybody makes it out to be. Got stuck in some bad wreck that closed both sides of the interstate for like 9 hours...luckily jumped a frontage road and got around it.
KC, I think this is what happened that afternoon on I-70...very sad:

Woman is killed in crash on I-70
BY BILL SMITH
Post-Dispatch
01/19/2004

A newlywed en route to her own baby shower died Saturday after the family's Jeep Cherokee clipped the back of a slowed tractor-trailer and overturned on Interstate 70 near Foristell.

The woman's fetus also died.

Erin Hines Hughes, 23, was traveling to St. Louis from her home in Overland Park, Kan., when the accident took place about 1:30 p.m.

Her husband, John Hughes, 25, was driving. He suffered a broken leg and other injuries and remained hospitalized in satisfactory condition Sunday night at St. John's Mercy Medical Center in Creve Coeur.

The couple married Thursday. Erin was eight months pregnant. Her baby had been due Feb. 19, according to a Target store gift registry in which the couple requested several items including a bassinet, car seat and bottle warmer.

Erin Hughes attended Affton High School and was a singer in the St. Louis area. She had sung with her mother, Jennifer Noble, who had performed in clubs in the area.

In June 1998, she became the focus of news stories when she narrowly escaped a speeding freight train while walking on tracks near the 10200 block of MacKenzie Road. In a hospital interview after that incident, she said she had been taking a shortcut to her father's house and did not notice the train coming at her.

She said she initially dangled by her hands from the edge of the track, before being shaken off by the train and falling 60 feet to the ground. Witnesses said she might have died had she not landed on a bush.

The Missouri Highway Patrol's Troop C in Kirkwood reported that the vehicle crash Saturday appears to have been related to an accident several hours earlier on Interstate 70 near Wentzville.

In that accident, the interstate was closed down until late afternoon when a westbound tractor-trailer truck lost a load of electrical transformers shortly before 7 a.m. Traffic was backed up for miles in both directions as workers scrambled to clean up mineral oil spilled when the transformers broke.

By 1:30 p.m., eastbound traffic had backed up six miles from the site of the truck accident, the patrol said.

Erin Hughes was taken to St. John's Mercy Medical Center by helicopter; she died at the hospital later Saturday, although a hospital spokesman declined to say how long after the accident Hughes died.

Bria Dorsey, a friend of Erin Hughes, called her a happy-go-lucky hippie with a heart of gold who should have grown up in the '70s. Dorsey described Hughes as a folk singer, in the style of her favorite performer, Tori Amos.

Dorsey first met Hughes while both were sophomores at Bayless High School.

"Everybody who came in contact with her just loved her," Dorsey said. "Regardless of what happened, she could always make it better."

Dorsey declined to discuss circumstances surrounding the accident other than to confirm that Hughes was traveling to St. Louis to attend a baby shower in her honor at the home of a sister of Hughes in south St. Louis.

Dorsey said her friends became concerned when she had not arrived at the house on time. Dorsey said she was providing the food for Saturday's shower. Gifts, still wrapped in colored tissue and inside colorful sacks, sat on the floor of Dorsey's home Sunday evening.

"I can't put them away,' she said.

Two years ago, Hughes went on a mission trip to Honduras with her father and "gave away everything she had" to children she met there, Dorsey said.

"She cared deeply for everyone," she said.

Dorsey said Hughes was married at a county courthouse in the Kansas City area but planned to have a more public ceremony this year.

Hughes' family was in the news last year in southeast Missouri because of a struggle her mother, Jennifer Noble, was having retrieving precious family belongings from overseas.

The family had spent years living as missionaries in New Zealand, and when they returned to the United States about a decade ago, their belongings were left there in storage. That included childhood photographs of Erin, her older brother and younger sister.

The family raised money, with help from donations to Father's Arms Fellowship in Scott City, Mo., to pay for shipping costs to get the belongings back. A friend of Nobel, Grace Parry, said Sunday that the close-knit family had just received the belongings within the last month. Many of the old photos were moldy and had to be thrown out, Parry said.

Parry said she had witnessed Noble's ecstatic reaction last summer when Noble found out she was going to be a grandmother for the first time.

"And now this," Parry said of the fatal car crash. "It's such a tragedy. I hate to see it."
KCPowercat
Ambassador

St Louis weekend

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah could have been....also there was a huge wreck on the other side that closed 70 going out of STL for like 9 hours...that closed both sides of the road for awhile as well.

Bad day for that stretch

QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

St Louis weekend

Post by QueSi2Opie »

StL_Dan wrote:White Castle!!!!!
JACK IN THE BOX!!!
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

St Louis weekend

Post by KCPowercat »

bahua...I know the castle isn't from STL but it's the closest place to get it.

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

St Louis weekend

Post by StL_Dan »

QueSi2Opie wrote:
StL_Dan wrote:White Castle!!!!!
JACK IN THE BOX!!!
WORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JITB is awesome.....great tacos.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

St Louis weekend

Post by bahua »

mmmm... junk in the box!

so bad, yet so good
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

St Louis weekend

Post by StL_Dan »

bahua wrote:mmmm... junk in the box!

so bad, yet so good
lol......i love a good nickname.

white asshole is one of my faves

(someone, hint hint, should start a "favorite nicknames" thread)
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

St Louis weekend

Post by phxcat »

Steak and Shake is not a St. Louis place? I thought it was. White Castle was started in Wichita, then they realized it sucked, so it left.

Out here there is a Jack in the Crack on every corner. The poeple out here love it- but I think the only thing they can do right is the commercials.
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

St Louis weekend

Post by kcmajik »

whitecastle whichita? i thought it was from ohio...well steak and shake is from indianapolis.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

St Louis weekend

Post by StL_Dan »

yea....white castle did originated in wichita....kinda weird knowing how popular they are from stl on east into to the decapolis

re: indiana originals - another classic joint called dog n suds originated there too......greeeeat root beer and chili dogs

KCPowercat
Ambassador

St Louis weekend

Post by KCPowercat »

White Castle is now in only 12 metro areas.....I wish they would re-expand.

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

St Louis weekend

Post by StL_Dan »

KC wrote:White Castle is now in only 12 metro areas.....I wish they would re-expand.
the beasties rap about white asstle all the time
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

St Louis weekend

Post by bahua »

kcmajik wrote:whitecastle whichita? i thought it was from ohio...well steak and shake is from indianapolis.
Steak n' Shake is from Normal, IL(35 miles from Peoria, where I grew up, where there can still be found about a dozen Steak n' Shakes), and not Indiana.