Chicago

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Chicago

Post by warwickland »

staunton, il

atlanta, il

quickening

the invasion force has infiltrated secret bases!

nosedive or belly flop?

the natives know how to party - hardy

good morning chicago!

keep your friends close, but your enemies closer...

the cadillac of rivalrys.

tunnel of love.

say what?

good morning, chicago?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: chicago, as found during the present era

Post by mean »

Pretty sure I spotted a Cards Ankiel jersey in there...

Good pics, thanks!
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

chicago, we'll miss you when you're just another new york.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Looks like you spent some quality time in Logan Square. Last time I hung out there, it seemed like it was transitioning quickly from a mostly Puerto Rican hood to an extension of Wicker Park hipsterville. There were a lot of classic signs of gentrification, but it was all early on and it was still pretty rough around the edges. There were even empty lots!

What's it like now? I haven't gotten past Western on the Blue in my last few trips there.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

staubio wrote: Looks like you spent some quality time in Logan Square. Last time I hung out there, it seemed like it was transitioning quickly from a mostly Puerto Rican hood to an extension of Wicker Park hipsterville. There were a lot of classic signs of gentrification, but it was all early on and it was still pretty rough around the edges. There were even empty lots!

What's it like now? I haven't gotten past Western on the Blue in my last few trips there.
I think the economy slowed down gentrification in Logan Square a little, but this spring it's like someone stepped on the throttle again. Its changes are breakneck in nature! I'm always in disbelief at the pace of neighborhood transformation in some areas of Chicago. Theres already talk of Avondale, the next neighborhood on the blue line, being the new Logan Square (which is the new Wicker Park, I guess).
Last edited by warwickland on Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Chicago Park App

Post by normalthings »

Chicago has an App that allows users who are at a Chicago Park Acces to 250 Movies. Kansas City Could KC do something like this with the Smart City downtown?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Chicago Park App

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

pash wrote:The licensing is the hard part. The KC Public Library has a contract with Hoopla that lets anybody with a library card watch/listen to/read fifteen movies/TV shows/music albums/audiobooks/e-books/comics each month, from anywhere, using Hoopla's website or mobile apps.

Not the greatest selection of new releases, and it costs the library $1–$3 everytime somebody uses it. But that's what I mean about licensing being the hard part.
Oh ok, thanks. Is there or are there plans for a companion app for the smart city though? Like one that would be able to give information about downtown attractions and the streetcar based on where you were downtown.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Magellan Dev. group of Chicago.

Post by normalthings »

A recent visit to Chicago took me to Lakeshore East, a $4 Billion development by Magellan. They have developed a whole section of the city building 5,000 residences as well as over 1,500 hotel rooms and a couple office towers. They have reintroduced residential in the Chicago CBD. In recent years they have started to branch outside of Chicago with developments in other cities including Minneapolis.

How would we(KC) attract large developers like this or will they only come when rents at much higher? Or would it be better entirely for a KC based developer to grow into this role?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakeshore_East