St. Louis

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: St. Louis

Postby warwickland » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:13 pm

SLU could definitely take note of the postive developments happening in midtown in areas beyond their reach, like on locust.

chaglang
Hotel President
Hotel President

Postby chaglang » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:16 pm

Absolutely. A friend of mine is going to take me on a tour of all the positive developments between the SLU campus and downtown. He's very excited about what's going on. I think it's going to center on Urban Chestnut's Octoberfest next year.

I have to give SLU some credit for anchoring that part of Grand for so long. When I was there, they were buying and reusing existing buildings. Lindell would be much worse off were it not for them. That's why their demolition spree is so saddening and baffling. I thought they "got it". I was wrong.

warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Postby warwickland » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:04 pm

now that lord biondi is gone, hopefully we see more considerate real estate practices by SLU. the neighborhood has already taken a bit of a leap since even a year ago. i think that generally, SLU "gets it."

chaglang
Hotel President
Hotel President

Postby chaglang » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:24 am

I hope so, because they've become an enormous landholder there. Much moreso than when I got there for my freshman year. And the fact that they did all this at the corner of Grand and Lindell speaks well of them. They get that. It's their land use that has always troubled me. Without looking at a satellite image, I believe that the main spine of campus (West Pine) was denser in 1991 than it is now.

warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Postby warwickland » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:42 pm

chaglang wrote:Without looking at a satellite image, I believe that the main spine of campus (West Pine) was denser in 1991 than it is now.

That's almost certainly correct. Biondi was confused/clueless, but SLU appears committed to urban redevelopment and Sith Lord Biondi is thankfully gone.

Return to “City Trip Reports”