Seattle / Portland

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Seattle / Portland

Post by KCPowercat »

Quick notes mostly from a transit perspective on Seattle and Portland. Both awesome cities but can't ever see moving there....feel free to answer questions...

Light Rail into Seattle from SEA - Long walk to the station but not too bad. Pretty quick service...strange it went right down the street with traffic...used to seeing rail that large on it's own ROW.

South Lake Union sTreetcar (SLUt) - new? street car from my hotel to downtown. 2 miles? $1.50? Efficient and pretty quick. Off-train fare stations were pretty basic. Annoying that their systems are so segregated.

Seattle Monorail - Had no idea that thing was so old....didn't ride it but looked cool looming over downtown. Pic below.

Amtrak to Portland - Surprisingly not very nice. Seemed beat up. Very few stops though and some good scenery

Portland Streetcar - I rode it from the edge of the free zone to the SW into downtown. Very nice it was free but that leg seems to be fairly slow, especially up until you pass through Portland State...that running through the campus seemed highly inefficient. Good headways and free is always nice.

Portland MAX - My traveling partner asked "how the heck do they pay for all this"....to which I had no answer. Amazing amount of rail. Got you about everywhere it seemed like. Seemed even better laid out and organized than a much larger Seattle.

Bikes in Portland - Amazing how they have made bikers the #1 priority throughout the urban core.

Other tidbits - This garden level space reminded me of what Wallstreet Towers should do with their garden level space.

smh
Supporter

Re: Seattle / Portland

Post by smh »

In Portland one should make the triangle of Cascade Brewing (for sour beers), Lucky Labrador, and Green Dragon. I'm partial to this because they're all in the near in industrial area and walking distance from each other and downtown.

EDIT: Also, they have good beer.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I don't like that the Portland MAX doesn't travel around SE Hawthrone Blvd.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »