StL to Austin (plus Springfield, Tulsa, OKC, Dallas)

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

StL to Austin (plus Springfield, Tulsa, OKC, Dallas)

Post by warwickland »

SPRINGFIELD, MO

TULSA

OKLAHOMA CITY

DALLAS

AUSTIN

OUACHITA MTNS

Talihina, OK

warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: StL to Austin (plus Springfield, Tulsa, OKC, Dallas)

Post by warwickland »

My photos resized badly, I'll try to fix at some point..
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

nice pics, looks like an awesome trip!
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

A few notes..

Tulsa felt a little like KC to me, and there was a huge BLVD presence there. I could make another trip. OKC on the other hand felt more "Texas," with businessmen wearing cowboy hats and a clearly booming, if not properly urban ( had trouble finding at least one drag of lots of urban storefronts) downtown. It was better than I thought it would be.

I enjoyed my time in Springfield on a random Thursday night, more activity than I would have thought.

Downtown Dallas was sleepier than it should be.

Whatever soul Austin has, was somewhat trampled and hosed down by SXSW. A Lawrence on roids. SXSW was cool, I'd go again but I'd hope the weather would be better there than Missouri which wasn't the case.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Now that was a real City Trip Report! Certainly a gritty one. Congrats on being able to upload so many photos at once. Enjoyed the virtual tour.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

great photos, I enjoyed the tour. I particularly enjoy the third image of the looming backyard clouds, you can definitely set a mood.

I actually really like Tulsa and agree that it feels very similar to KC in some places; they also have some great little commercials strips along Cherry St and in Brookside (there's that KC connection again). And a ton of deco downtown.

Austin, I need to check out sometime, can't tell if it would be a love or hate (maybe just jealous of the omnipresent hipness and momentum?) kind of place, but wow they've come a long way quickly. Maybe for the US Grand Prix (F1) this year if tix are remotely affordable...what an awesome trip that would be.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

rxlexi wrote:great photos, I enjoyed the tour. I particularly enjoy the third image of the looming backyard clouds, you can definitely set a mood.

I actually really like Tulsa and agree that it feels very similar to KC in some places; they also have some great little commercials strips along Cherry St and in Brookside (there's that KC connection again). And a ton of deco downtown.

Austin, I need to check out sometime, can't tell if it would be a love or hate (maybe just jealous of the omnipresent hipness and momentum?) kind of place, but wow they've come a long way quickly. Maybe for the US Grand Prix (F1) this year if tix are remotely affordable...what an awesome trip that would be.
Thanks. This is the song (and album) that was in my head and on my speakers... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WozAzfx806c

Austin is a slight letdown if you drive there on a long weekend instead of an early Ozark float-trip like me. I guess if you are a tastemaker from Brooklyn it's more exotic, you know, if you have never been to something like Kleinschmidts.

It is and it isn't cool. For us from old, once you know hearty cities from Old Missouri theres some degree of blues.

Generally I think I would have had a better time on Frenchman street in New Orleans dancing to some horn music.

I generally am planning on going back to SXSW, too, via an earthy camping type trip. And more of an engagement of Dallas.