Biloxi, MS or Gulf Shores, AL?

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Biloxi, MS or Gulf Shores, AL?

Post by skim82 »

Hey guys.

The GF and I are planning a trip to the beach for Memorial Day. We both agreed that we'd like to take a road trip, and we're trying to decide where the closest and nicest beach is. 

From the look of things, it looks like Biloxi or Gulf Shores may be the closest options. 

Has anyone been to any of these two places? pros/cons???
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Biloxi, MS or Gulf Shores, AL?

Post by KC Sporting Life »

I haven't been to either place, but I would question whether or not Biloxi, MS has recovered from hurricane Katrina well enough to actually make for a nice vacation beach spot. 

If you're going that far south, why not just head further into Florida along the Gulf coast?
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

I've been to both, and have to agree with Sport.

Ft. Walton beach is only 65 miles further than Gulf Shores and I would opt for that, but Gulf Shores is not a bad place.  Just closer to Bagnell Dam than Miami.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Screw the beach, go to New Orleans!
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

grovester wrote: Screw the beach, go to New Orleans!
Seconded.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

grovester wrote: Screw the beach, go to New Orleans!
If you are driving, I can see allure of the proximity of the Gulf Coast but I'd rather spend the time and go to the Atlantic or Pacific as the US  gulf coast just leaves a lot to be desired with maybe the exception of the Florida Panhandle where you are out of the influence of the Mississippi River (e.g., beaches are not muddy).  I've never been a big fan of New Orleans but if you haven't been, it is worth doing at least once.     
kclofter
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kclofter »

Savannah, Tybee Island.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

Thanks Y'all.

Yea, I'm thinking Gulf Shores or the Pensacola area.  It's really not that much farther down the road. If we end up going, I'll be sure and post pics!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I don't know.  I have been to them all. East coast, west coast, gulf etc.  They all seem pretty much the same.  I like cities myself, I'm not much for vacationing on actual beaches.

But if I had to choose, it would be Miami Beach.  Just a different class of people seem to go there, not that I fit in that class or anything haha.

There is nothing wrong with Gulf Shores though.  But if you drive that far, may as well swing through New Orleans.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Headed that way myself..kinda slow but nice..
P&L Free since 2008
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

im a big miami beach fan...urban, good cheap food (you have to look), nice beach and clean water, etc.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

To me it's not worth the drive to any beach from Missouri (except for Michigan) unless you plan on camping. If you can't leave in the morning and be on the beach that evening for a long weekend, I'd just fly.

If you are going to do a roadtrip from KC, I'd head to Colorado or Minnesota or a float on the cool Current River, it's going to be a scorcher weekend..................
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

warwickland wrote:To me it's not worth the drive to any beach from Missouri
You don't have to leave MO to go to the beach and camp out. Osage Beach that is.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Ha ha !

I've never even been to Osage Beach. Camped at Lake of the Ozarks State Park on a very hot weekend, once. Just remember beads of sweat rolling off my body and spattering on the tent floor - in the morning.

May I suggest the beaches of Lake Superior for the original poster.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

They might not be like the big sandy beaches along the Gulf or the Great Lakes but there are campgrounds at Corps lakes in MO and ARK that are next to swimming beaches. Beaver Lake and Table Rock have clear water and are considered to be deep diving lakes.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:They might not be like the big sandy beaches along the Gulf or the Great Lakes but there are campgrounds at Corps lakes in MO and ARK that are next to swimming beaches. Beaver Lake and Table Rock have clear water and are considered to be deep diving lakes.
Speaking of beaches in Missouri - try Rockaway Beach! Try doing it without a wet suit. That's some cold water.