Europe

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Europe

Post by macnw »

Anyone have any suggestions for Europe(Germany and Italy specifically). Anything helps. Probably will be around Munich and Florence
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Europe

Post by Highlander »

macnw wrote: Anyone have any suggestions for Europe(Germany and Italy specifically). Anything helps. Probably will be around Munich and Florence
Depends on what you are into.  Munich is one of my favorite cities in Europe if not the world.   Florence, well, it's not among my favorites but there are great places to see around it.  

If you are not just interested in the "European Urban Experience" I'd recommend several side trips from Munich.  A lot of Americans head to Dachau but I do not really recommend that, it's a downer and was a minor sideshow as a concentration camp.  

Munich:  The city is great so spend some time there.  Clearly, the city center and environs have most the things to do and see.  I love the Viktualien Market just outside Marienplatz which is in the center of the city.  Lot's of museums etc... in the general area and a lot of great street scenes, old churches, Bavarian architecture etc... For authentic food, try the Augustiner which is on the main pedestrian walkway heading west out of Marienplatz.  Not far away is Schwabing which is a trendy district with restaurants and bars.  Schloss Nymphenburg is a bit further afield but worth a visit.  

Around Munich:  Depends on how far you want to go.  Here are some good day to two-day trips.

You can train to Salzburg which is well worth the visit.  We did this and spent two nights in Salzburg but I think you could probably go and come back in a single day.  Near Salzburg but would require auto rental or bus is Berchedtsgaden and Hitler's Eagles Nest.  The trip to the Eagle's Nest was on of my favorite moments in Europe but I am a history buff (and the views are wonderful).

Also good would be a trip to Fussen which is where Neuschwanstein and Hohenzolleren Castles reside.  Fussen is a cool place anyway and the castles are worth the trip but crowded.  

A little further afield is the village of Dinkelsbuhl.  It's kind of like Rothenburg ob du Tauber (a well preserved medieval village with half timber houses) but far less commercializeand a little closer.        

We rented a car once and drove down to Kitzbuhel and Innsbruck.  I actually get a pretty big kick out of driving on the autobahns.

There are some must see's in Florence (Michealangelo's David for one) but I really prefer the area of Tuscany outside of the city.  My favorite two cities are Sienna (you can bus from Florence) which is just spectacular and San Gimignano (sp?) which is a quaint village replete with medieval skyscrapers.  Volterra is also worth seeing as is Grieve in Chianti.  Pisa is a bit further away.  I would highly recommend Sienna and San Gimignano though.  

Get a  Lonely Planet Tuscany and Bavaria and I think you'll be able to make wiser choices.  Both areas have a lot to offer.  

I did some picture threads on these earlier..
Salzburg:  http://forum.kcrag.com/index.php?topic=10973.0
Munich: http://forum.kcrag.com/index.php?topic=10971.0

I am in the process of scanning my old Tuscany shots so no photo spread there.  

warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Berlin!
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

I second Highlanders recommendations of San Gimignano (specifically Castel San G) and Sienna.  Really recommend spending at least one night in San G and exploring the city night and day.

Don't know if you're driving, but in any case, SR222 would be the prefered route for scenery between Florence and Sienna.