quebec city

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

quebec city

Post by DaveKCMO »

anyone been? please share your impressions, experiences.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: quebec city

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Yes - its lovely.  Love both Montreal and QC.  It generally gets billed as a trip to old france with out the trans-atlantic flight and in many ways it lives up to that billing - though the airfare to get up there is getting to the point where you may not be saving much over flying to CDG. 

They have the cobble stone streets, old world stone walls etc.  Very good food.  can't go wrong.  And the scenery up the St. Lawrence river is gorgeous - especially this time of year. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

we are taking the train to chicago, then flying non-stop to montreal (option 2 is to fly non-stop KC-toronto, then train to montreal). after several days in montreal (which i've been to before), we are taking the train to QC. on the way home, we're taking the train from montreal to new york to stay a few days. then we fly non-stop to KC from laguardia.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Sounds like a great itinerary.  On behalf of all the KCRag beer nerds, let me urge a quick side trip over to Unibroue in Chambly on your way between Montreal and QC. 
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

I've had people tell me that the Quebecois are sometimes rude to people who don't speak French.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

mlind wrote: I've had people tell me that the Quebecois are sometimes rude to people who don't speak French.
yes, i've heard that too (outside of montreal). i speak enough to get by (hotel check-in, ordering food). i just got back from paris, so i think i'll be fine. :)
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

I have a friend in his late 40's who has lived outside of Montreal all his life and has never learned French.  I also had neighbors from Quebec City for a while (on sabbitical) and their school-age children didn't know any English.  The whole language issue there is very interesting.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

As long as you start everything off with a "Bonjour Madame/Monsieur" they seem to be perfectly fine. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: As long as you start everything off with a "Bonjour Madame/Monsieur" they seem to be perfectly fine. 
or carry a baguette under your arm while riding an antique bicycle. 
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

chrizow wrote:or carry a baguette under your arm while riding an antique bicycle. 
...while dressed like Marcel Marceau and sipping from a can of peas.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

:lol:
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

I dare you to eat the favorite fast food dish in Quebec.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

I emailed a freind that lives in Quebec City.  Here's his response:
Quebec City is the most touristic city in Quebec Province. All places that you need to talk to people in English will be answered in English too. (nice restaurant, hotels, etc...)
Things to visit are a plenty, 1st and foremost the old Quebec. Nightlife wise, "La Grande Allee" is the place to visit, plenty of bars and nightclubs.
Not greatly detailed or useful (which I didn't really expect from this friend :roll:), but thought I'd pass it along.  I asked him about French/English before you said you knew some French.  It doesn't add much to what I bet you know already, but there you have it.  Hope it's a fun trip!

Also, the non-stop flight from KC to Toronto is extremely convenient and usually quite affordable.  I'd encourage it unless a train trip to Chicago is a draw for you.
Last edited by DaveKCMO on Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

droopy wrote:Also, the non-stop flight from KC to Toronto is extremely convenient and usually quite affordable.  I'd encourage it unless a train trip to Chicago is a draw for you.
the air canada non-stop gets in too late to take Via to montreal (the last train leaves toronto at 6:35, and there are only six departures total). i don't want to overnight in toronto (sorry, not a fan). departing from chicago leaves you with tons of alternatives, should a snag arise, and we can walk to KC's union station in under 10 minutes.