Pittsburgh

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Pittsburgh

Post by Midtownkid »

Sorry if there was another thread on this already, but I'm going to Pittsburgh this weekend for a little trip.

Where should I go?  What are the cool neighborhoods to explore (besides downtown).

I already plan on seeing downtown, Mt. Washington cog-rail, Warhol Museum, and the big city park near Carnegie and the Cathedral of Learning etc.

Is the mattress factory art museum cool?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Pittsburgh

Post by mean »

I haven't spent a lot of time in Pittsburgh, but I'd suggest checking out The Strip, running northeast of downtown along Smallman, Penn Ave, and Liberty Avenue. It's sort of river markety type neighborhood with more emphasis on market, especially Steelers gear. It's everywhere. If you like fresh fish, Wholey's is there and it's pretty badass. Think massive Mad Jack's. There's also a Primanti Brothers which, in spite of the hype, really isn't life-alteringly great--but it's good, and worth a stop.
Last edited by mean on Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

You might check out Carson St south of downtown just across the river.  Last time I was in Pitt, that's where I went.  It's a very walkable area with bars/restaurants/shops.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Cool thanks guys, both seem like good places to check out!  Is their downtown worth a day?  Is there more to see and do besides gawk at the buildings?
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

I would go downtown during the day when it's the busiest.  It seems like it was somewhat of a ghost town after 5pm.  Pitt has a very dense downtown area, so it has a big city feel to it.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Downtown Pitt is worth at least a few hours, I'd say. The whole area has a very dense, big city feel to it. Much bigger "vibe" to me than many larger cities. PPG Place is pretty interesting, and the plaza is kind of cool in a surreal "I have been transported into the courtyard of a medieval castle made entirely of glass" kind of way.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin