UTAH- BRYCE-ZION

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
hoghead

UTAH- BRYCE-ZION

Post by hoghead »

Can anyone tell me what's cool to do in those places?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: UTAH- BRYCE-ZION

Post by Highlander »

hoghead wrote: Can anyone tell me what's cool to do in those places?
There are two cool things to do at Zion (and probably many more).  1) take a hiking trip up the narrows of the Virgin River but watch the forecasts very carefully - or 2) Climb to Angels Landing.  The Angels Landing hike is one of my favorite in the western US and I have hiked a lot of mileage.  It is not long but it is steep and exposed.  The first part is an improved trail that goes up to the ridge top at Scout's Overlook and the second part is a scramble along the ridgetop with substantial exposure on either side.  They have installed chains to help people through the worst of the exposure.  Not bad if you are used to it but it can be startling to neophytes.  Once on the landing it broadens out and has great views of the park and the Virgin River Canyon.  Highly recommended. 

My trip up there, incidently, turned into a bit of a rescue mission as I was asked to help an Australian girl who fell and broke her leg.  She was wearing tennies which was not too smart.

When are you going?  If I have time I'll post some pictures.

Bryce has any number of short hikes emenating from the main road. 
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

If you are into astronomy or geology, you might be interested in upcoming events at Bryce. Check this link: http://www.nps.gov/brca/index.htm
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

A few pictures from Zion....  Hope these are not spoilers but it does give you an idea what to expect if you do happen to try out the trail to Angel's Landing.

Lower down on the trail on the way to Scout's Overlook.  Virgin River Valley in background.

Switchbacks on the trail

Scout's Overlook trail gets confined to a narrow side canyon a little further up

Along a shorter trail system emanating from the valley floor.

Near the top..at this point, it becomes a ridge walk to Angel's Landing.  Not difficult but definately not for the faint of heart.

Nice view along the way

Pretty good picture of the ridge walk running towards Angel's landing from scout's overlook.  Exposure!

Cables installed in places to give hikers a sense of security

These shots are looking up the ridge from Scout's Overlook to Angel's Landing.  Trail follows the exposed ridgeline.

More Exposure

View from top

Elsewhere in the park
hoghead

Post by hoghead »

Thanks for the info and pic's. Looks like I need to get in better shape. not going until August.Nice and hot. Anything else would be appreciated
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

You can buy a national park guide book, lot's of good info and be prepared for crowds, particularly at Zion where car travel has been restricted and buses are necassary for visiting the spots I mentioned.  You may want to check out some of the less visited parks in the area too like Cedar Breaks and Escalante - Grand Staircase National Monument  (only a few parts of this park are interesting).