Omaha Nebraska

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Omaha Nebraska

Post by skim82 »

Hey guys,

Thinking about Omaha over spring break.

First, is the zoo really as good as everyone says it is, AND is there anything worth seeing around dt? We are planning to drive up there, so please suggest some good places to stay as well!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Omaha Nebraska

Post by DaveKCMO »

1) the zoo is good if you like zoos. it's easier to navigate than KC's, which i believe is what realistically sets it apart.
2) stay at the new hilton across from the qwest center (available on priceline). not many other great options.
3) some decent restaurants, nothing worth straying from downtown.
4) don't plan to stay more than 2 nights. you'll get bored.
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

Henry Doorly is bigger than it looks, but most of the marquee attractions are within relatively close proximity to one another.  It's worth the trip to Omaha alone.

Embassy Suites is across the street from the Old Market... the Hilton remains rather isolated.  If you like to stay in a place with some character... Magnolia Hotel is nice.   You'll want to walk around the Old Market... bustling with activity on any given night... take a carriage ride if you're so inclined.

Durham Museum (in our Union Station) is a very nice collection of western frontier/railroad history.  Bemis Center on the south end of the Old Market is one of the nation's largest artist in residence centers.  Don't miss the Pioneer Courage Park on Capitol Ave... a massive collection of bronze sculptures spanning 6 blocks comprised of a wagon train, buffalo, geese, and more.  West of the Qwest Center, you'll see a large utility building which has been decorated with 32,000 sq foot mural by artist Meg Saligman.

Consider coming when it's warmer and you'll find the Heartland of America Park (300 ft fountain and gondola rides), Gene Leahy Mall with it's lagoon, and riverfront/pedestrian bridge well worth the walk.  Lauritzen Botanical Gardens, between downtown and the zoo is impressive as well... for guys like me there's a really cool garden railroad, not to speak of Kenefick Park next door which has the two massive railroad engines you can see from I-80 down below.  If you're in to railroad history, Council Bluffs has a couple of great museums as well (Union Pacific Museum and Rock Island Depot).  Downtown Council Bluffs and the bluff side neighborhood to it's east has many nice examples of 19th century architecture.

West of Omaha, the Strategic Air and Space Museum is world class... and south of it is a neat drive through wildlife park maintained by the zoo.

Restaurants downtown:  Boiler Room, Flat Iron, Upstream, Vivace, M's Pub, V. Mertz, to name a tiny few downtown

Hope you have a good time!
Last edited by eomaha.com on Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

Thanks guys!

I'll check out both hotel options and def take the advice!

Also, it's probably just going to be a weekend trip, so I don't plan on staying more than a couple of nights.  Always wanted to see Omaha in person, can't wait.  GF is very excited about going to the zoo. 
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

I stayed at the Holiday Inn across from or in whatever the indie Saddle Creek development is called that has The Slowdown, Urban Outfitters, Filmstreams---it was pretty nice, but don't have much point of comparison with other downtown hotels.
SingleMalt12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SingleMalt12 »

DaveKCMO wrote: 1) the zoo is good if you like zoos. it's easier to navigate than KC's, which i believe is what realistically sets it apart.
2) stay at the new hilton across from the qwest center (available on priceline). not many other great options.
3) some decent restaurants, nothing worth straying from downtown.
4) don't plan to stay more than 2 nights. you'll get bored.
That #4 is funny.  A friend said that about KC.  Wondered how anyone could live there.  I guess it's all in one's attitude and frame of reference.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

SingleMalt12 wrote: That #4 is funny.  A friend said that about KC.  Wondered how anyone could live there.  I guess it's all in one's attitude and frame of reference.
I think a two night stay in either city is probably adequate for most sight-seeing/tourist goals. Same with most cities really - outside of the major destinations.

If you're just sight seeing - two nights & most of two or three days should get you to most major attractions. Not sure where you or your friend are from, but I don't think anyone was bashing Omaha.

If there's more to see, you can always go back.

The Embassy downtown is good. I "second" the idea that the Qwest Center/Hilton is still a little isolated.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

The Dundee Dell (scotch list) and the 49r (awesome western divey bar) are outside downtown but worth the very short drive.

The zoo IS most definitely worth the trip, if you're into that kind of thing. 

The Old Market area in general is pretty lively and a great place to explore on foot with no particular destination.

The Josyln Museum and Bemis are both supposed to be pretty awesome if you're into arts/cultural tourism, but I have not yet been, unfortunately.
are we spinning free?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

SingleMalt12 wrote: That #4 is funny.  A friend said that about KC.  Wondered how anyone could live there.  I guess it's all in one's attitude and frame of reference.
yup, totally depends on where you're arriving from.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

If you are like me and try to see as many nodes and "neighborhood downtowns" as you can, definitely check out Dundee and the South 24th Area. That is the best Omaha has to offer as a neighborhood center besides the Old Market.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Second to all three of those areas to explore.  And the Dell and the 49er.  Add the Homy Inn on Saddle Creek if you're looking for a bustling friendly dive.  The Waiting Room is supposedly a decent live music venue in Benson, another worthwhile neighborhood to check out.  Haven't been yet.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

staubio wrote: If you are like me and try to see as many nodes and "neighborhood downtowns" as you can, definitely check out Dundee and the South 24th Area. That is the best Omaha has to offer as a neighborhood center besides the Old Market.
and you can walk or take public transit to these places!
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

AJoD wrote: Homy Inn on Saddle Creek
Champagne on tap!
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

M's Pub is a great place.  Awesome environment and great food.  I'd be there too often if I lived there.

Dixie Quicks for Sunday Brunch (make a reservation).  Just go and then tell us about it afterwards.

The Magnolia Hotel is a special place, if you can work the rate.
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

When I go, I always stay at the Courtyard or Embassy Suites in the Old Market. Not very original, but this is the only area I will stay because I love the Old Market so much.  That is the must see neighborhood and has some wonderful restaurants.  I cannot recall a bad dinner in the area ever.  My favorite is the Persian restaurant, Ahmad's.  It is absolutely phenomenal if you like that sort of thing.  Omaha Prime is expensive and everything a la carte, think Capital Grille but better and not a chain - one dinner there was literally one of the best meals I have had in my life.  There's a cool wine shop as well.

Upstream is a great laid back place to grab a drink, we always go play a couple games of pool upstairs when we go.

http://www.oldmarket.com/index.asp
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

I guess this isn't as expensive as I remembered, but not cheap either....

http://www.omaha-prime.com/menu.htm
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

The Courtyard can usually be had on Priceline for around $50.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

A friend of mine took me to a steak house called Gorat's in Omaha. I really enjoyed it. It's not very nice, the decor sucks, but the steaks were good (not great) and it was affordable.

Just had a pretty cool old-school vibe to it.

I believe it's one of Warren Buffet's favorite places to eat. At least that's what my friend told me.

Also went to the Railway Inn in Council Bluffs - 1 lb monster burger. Mmmmmm.....
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Buffets fav is the Drover out on 72nd. Pretty good place. It cheap so I could see that Warren would like it.
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

Gorats is good if you like chicken fried steak. Chicken fried chicken, etc. It's a piece of Americana, I think the waitresses there were there when the place opened.  :)