Omaha Nebraska

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Omaha Nebraska

Post by chingon »

If you are driving there, I would stongly recommend getting off I-29 at Hamburg, IA and taking the Loess Hills Scenic Byway all the way to council Bluffs. Adds maybe an hour to your trip. It is the best hour you'll ever spend in Iowa, though.

http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/2187/
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

an accurate Iowa assessment :lol:
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

And while in Hamburg stop in at Stoner Drug and get a Stoner Drug t-shirt or hoody. Need to keep that place open.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

Wow, thanks for the advice.  It looks beautiful.  Will definitely have to consider it. 
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

Ok guys, The Embassy, Courtyard, and Hilton are all sold out.  Any other suggestions on hotels around the Old market? Or if not, are there any other Hotels around the Zoo you guys could suggest? I definitely didn't expect Hotels in Omaha would have no rooms available during spring break, I was wrong...
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

skim82 wrote: Ok guys, The Embassy, Courtyard, and Hilton are all sold out.  Any other suggestions on hotels around the Old market? Or if not, are there any other Hotels around the Zoo you guys could suggest? I definitely didn't expect Hotels in Omaha would have no rooms available during spring break, I was wrong...
they're lying, literally. did you try priceline or hotwire? worse case, call the hotel directly at the last minute... they always have a cancellation or something on hold they can free up. did you try the magnolia?
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

Yes, the magnolia looks amazing, but even when I called, they all said they were booked.

I just called again to hotels and was told that the reason there are no rooms available is because of the NCAA wrestling championships! Crap. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

skim82 wrote: Yes, the magnolia looks amazing, but even when I called, they all said they were booked.

I just called again to hotels and was told that the reason there are no rooms available is because of the NCAA wrestling championships! Crap. 
did you check priceline or hotwire? don't rule those out because hotels will gladly tell a normal customer there are no rooms, but offer a prepaid room on one of those sites because the revenue is guaranteed (even if the price they offer is not a big savings).

do your plans allow you to wait until the last minute to book on those sites? something will open up.

there's always des moines....
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

great thread, hope to hit Omaha soon on a roadtrip.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

leaving today!

Well, the weather is going to suck this weekend, but i called the zoo and they said most of the attractions were inside???

Anyways, staying in Bellvue? (sp) because almost everything in Omaha was booked due to the wrestling championships.  Plan on hitting Old market tonight with the gf.

Any great places to eat?
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

Great places to eat in Bellevue or in the Old Market??
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

Just got back. 

We went to the Old Market area for drinks at a place called "myth"? It was connected to the spaghetti place in Old Market.  It was frigid cold, but there was a good gathering of people out for a few drinks. 

Liked the loft/condos around Old Market.  Had kind of a Westport feel.

We stayed in Bellevue, so we didn't get a chance to really explore Omaha too much.  I liked the downtown area.  Very clean and modern.  My girlfriend liked the one really tall building Downtown.  She was very interested in learning about Warren Buffet.

Other than that, we went to the zoo and that's about all.  I was only there for two days and have nothing but good things to say.  Everyone seemed so friendly. IMO, Omaha had a different slower pace than Kansas City.  That's not saying much, but I didn't feel the hustle and bustle at all around Omaha.  That was actually a welcoming feeling.  Not to say KC is NYC or anything, but I do think KC is different. 

It was great to see Omaha in person! I know some people from Omaha frequent this board. You have a lot to be proud of.
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

Glad you had a good time.  If you make it up again, I can give you instructions for driving right by Warren's house.  It's on one of the busier east/west arterials in central Omaha... right off the street, no perimeter fencing whatsoever.

Warren's rather modest home...
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

Uncle Warren!  This is right of of Happy Hollow, right?
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

A little east of Happy Hollow... it's the southwest corner of 55th and Farnam.