Roanoke, August 2008

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Roanoke, August 2008

Post by Roanoker »

If pictures are missing, find them at http://www.flickr.com/photos/115393943@ ... 070603504/.

These pictures were taken on 8/6/08 during a walk in Garst Mill Park after returning to Roanoke from the trip up through New York. (See earlier threads.)

Last edited by Roanoker on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Roanoke, August 2008

Post by Roanoker »

These pictures were taken on 8/6/08 (first one only) and 8/9/08 (all the rest).

This is a museum featuring the work of a man called Link. He took spectacular pictures of railroad trains. I was not permitted to take pictures on the inside.

Strolling in downtown Roanoke.

This building belonged to First Union when we first arrived in Roanoke in 1999. Now it belongs to Wachovia, or whoever took them over, I think Wells Fargo.

This is the Market Square, always a good place to visit on Saturday.

Rocks, like flowers, can be found everywhere.

No shortage of fruits and vegetables.

Only vendors get to park here.

And that's okay with me.

Roanoke wasn't such a bad place to live. But I'm glad to be back in Kansas City.
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

We are still walking around downtown Roanoke.

Roanoke's newspaper was produced in this building.

Second Street.

Church Street. I finally see how this street got its name.

Transportation Museum. Nice place to visit.

Statue of fireman in front of the museum. You can see it in the picture above.

And here is a close-up.

One of the many trains on display.

And the inside.

Galley of same train.

I remember riding on streetcars in Kansas City when I was little.

This engine had some sort of history I don't remember now.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Thanks, that was a great photo tour of Roanoke!
I'm looking foward to your Favorite places of the Old home town now that you have moved back.
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

KCKev wrote: Thanks, that was a great photo tour of Roanoke!
I'm looking foward to your Favorite places of the Old home town now that you have moved back.
Thank you, KCKev. I'll have to post pictures from my trip to New Mexico first.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Roanoker wrote: Thank you, KCKev. I'll have to post pictures from my trip to New Mexico first.
Where did you go in N Mex?  It's among the places I have frequented over the years.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Highlander wrote: Where did you go in N Mex?   It's among the places I have frequented over the years.
I can never remember exactly where I go on vacation. My son does, and he happened to be on the phone with my husband. So I asked the elder to question the younger. It was like pulling teeth. Anyway, We visited these places in this order: Capulan Volcano, Bandalier National Monument, Taos, Los Alamos, Albuquerque, Petroglyphs National Monument, and Santa Fe. (Sorry if I misspelled anything.) Weather was great, although cooler than I had expected. I will post pictures before too long.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Did you make it to any ruins? Chaco Canyon, or Aztec? These are on my list to visit.
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

KCKev wrote: Did you make it to any ruins? Chaco Canyon, or Aztec? These are on my list to visit.
My son wanted to go to Chaco Canyon, but he noticed that the road we'd have to take was rather rough, and he didn't want to jeopardize my husband's car. We stumbled upon great "ruins" on our own when we walked on a trail in Bandalier. My son discovered some caves that had obviously been lived in. I have pictures and will eventually post them.

Incidentally, we're trying to move into our "new" house, and I may not have easy access to the Internet for a week or so.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

These will be the last pictures from Roanoke--ever. All of them were taken in Roanoke's Transportation Museum.

Not the engineer. I think he looks like Cary Grant here.

Old fire truck.

This is for my friends back in Virginia. Go Hokies!

These signs were happy to reflect my camera's flash.

The model train displays go into quite a bit of detail.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Looks like a nice museum - would be nice if the train museum at Union Station could have been more on that scale. 

Every time I see this thread come up, I think it is going to be about the Roanoke neighborhood in midtown.  :lol:
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Looks like a nice museum - would be nice if the train museum at Union Station could have been more on that scale. 
It is very nice.
Every time I see this thread come up, I think it is going to be about the Roanoke neighborhood in midtown.   :lol:
Ha! We should have moved there instead of back out north where we left ten years ago. I'm keeping "Roanoker" as my posting name.