Amsterdam

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Amsterdam

Post by Highlander »

I recently had the opportunity to visit Amsterdam and a few other cities in northern Europe, mostly along the Rhine/Moselle such as Trier, Koblenz, Koln, and Dusseldorf in Germany.  I was very pleasantly surprised by my first trip to Dusseldorf, it's a fine city in which to spend a few days (I was there only 1 day). 

This was my 4th trip to Amsterdam (I am a KLM frequent flier).  Amsterdam is not nearly my favorite European city but it has its high points.  It's a pretty chaotic place with a very young vibe but there is plenty to do for those with more sedate tastes.  The city is arranged in a series of conentric arcs, each accompanied by a canal, centered on the central train station on the waterfront and it's pretty much bifurcated by the eponymous waterway running at right angles to the canal system (the Amstel River).  I suspect a lot of people on this forum have been to Amsterdam so no further explanation needed.

Amsterdam is pretty expensive.  We spent 160 euro per night on the most basic of accommodation (barely better than a hostel) for a family of four.  It was very well located though.  Eating out was also pretty pricey for what you get.  Amsterdam is not known for great cuisine but you can get anything you want here.  The big fad in the city is South American steakhouses.  They were ubiquitous.  We tried Indonesian food for the first time (Indonesia was a former Dutch colonly) and it was pretty good and kind of a cross between Thai and Indian (and also very expensive).  Pancake houses are pretty common too but generally not served as a breakfast food.

Here are a few pictures beginning with some shots not in Amsterdam at all, a series of windmills at Kinderdjik which is actually just outside of Rotterdam. 

Amsterdam:  The Museum Quarter.  This area is in the 3rd tier of concentric rings out from the center of the city.  It's still only about a 20-25 minute walk to the central station from the Rijksmuseum.

Shop near the Van Gogh Museum.

Van Gogh Museum

Concert Hall in the Museum Quarter

The Rijksmuseum, my personal favorite building (and attraction) in the city.  By 11 AM, lines to get in were an hour long.  Fortunately, we were there at opening time.

Stately homes across the canal from the Rijksmuseum:

Near the Museum District is Leidsplein, probably the livliest of the city's many plazas

Moving towards the center, the next few shots are from an area in western Amsterdam called Jordaan not far from Anne Frank's house.

My only shot from an area known as Konigsplein

Again, towards the center, this area is a flower market near another of the city's Plaza's... Rembrandtsplein.

Note the bicycles.  These are probably the major form of transport in the city along with the numerous trams.  The combination of trams, cycles, buses makes Amsterdam a difficult place to drive (I didn't try) and also it can be trying for pedestrians. Bike rentals are available.  The bikes are extremely low tech and plain.  No 21 speed Treks; they aren't need due to the flat terrain and they would most likely be stolen pretty quickly (160,000 bike thefts per year acc/to Lonely Planet).

The Flower Market

A few pictures from the City Center

Chinatown near an area known as New Market

The Red Light District (sorry, pictures of the prostitutes in the windows were strictly forbidden, even from the street).

Interesting sign assoc/w a restaurant in the Red Light District

Immediately adjacent to the Red Light District is the city's oldest church

Dam Square.  This is the city's most central and largest public plaza but it did not have the large population of restaurants around it like Leidseplein or Rembrantsplein did.

Shopping Street off Dam Square

The Central Station.  Great Building.

The ubiquitous Amsterdam coffee house.  While there is no doubt that there is plenty of soft-drug related tourism in Amsterdam, I saw only one person smoking marijuana outside of a coffee house setting (and that was in the Red Light District).  I was told that smoking weed was not socially acceptable in public outside the coffee houses.

A couple of scenes along the waterfront

Hope you enjoy.  I'll try to get the other lesser-known cities up soon. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Amsterdam

Post by chrizow »

very cool!  i'd like to visit amsterdam.  thanks for sharing.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Thanks, very interesting as I'll be in Amsterdam in a week.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

lock+load wrote: Thanks, very interesting as I'll be in Amsterdam in a week.
If you are interested in the major art venues, be advised that the Rijksmuseum is under major renovation but they have still showcased some 400 of their major works including Rembrant's Night Watch in a wing of the building but that is all that is opened.  The Stedelijk Museum (modern art) is also under renovation and their collection is farmed out to various other venues in the city (e.g., the church in Dam Square).  If interested, you may want to check out their website to see where the collection can still be seen. 

My last time in Amsterdam, I took a bus out to Keukenhof Gardens which is spectacular this time of the year.  I would highly recommend that as a stop if you have the time and interest.  We missed it this time because we needed to get the car back to the airport by 6 PM and had been stuck in a 2 hour traffic jam trying to get there but that was during Easter week which is prime European holiday time. 

Have a great time. 
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Yes, thanks for the pics.  I have had trouble finding a lot of good quality pics of that city.  I want to go sometime in the near future.  Did you get high!!  haha
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Highlander wrote: Amsterdam is not nearly my favorite European city but it has its high points. 
It does, doesn't it.  :)

I walked and stood some of these scenes here, albeit back in 2004. What a city that is. Not if you're a skyscraper enthusiast though, but still an incredible place.

Though I did have too much of a problem with panhandlers when I visited.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Wonderful pictures! Beautiful buildings. Love the flowers, of course. What was the batman-like guy doing?
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Highlander wrote: This was my 4th trip to Amsterdam (I am a KLM frequent flier).  Amsterdam is not nearly my favorite European city but it has its high points.  It's a pretty chaotic place with a very young vibe but there is plenty to do for those with more sedate tastes. 
Interesting perspective. In my experience it's like any other city that is overrun with tourists.  All you have to do is get away from the city centre and the popular attractions and into the neighborhoods with locals, and then it is an entirely different experience. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

That Obama burger is hilarious.

I really enjoyed Amsterdam in my one visit. I was a bit surprised how small Leidsplein was. It was very active though, and that's where we spent a lot of time in the evenings. That area is VERY touristy. Every restaurant we went to had English speakers (I think English is fairly prevalent anyway, but they even had American accents in Leidsplein) and you could tell the prices were higher than in other places.

I love how the bikes are EVERYWHERE. Very cute in the morning to see all the kids riding their bikes to school, and moms riding their kids to school on bikes (with these cute wheelbarrow-type things attached for the kids to sit in)

Did you try any Dutch food? I actually found it to be surprisingly good. Lots of sausage, lots of kale, lots of potatoes. And those pancakes are terrific for desert. Great pics! I love those canals!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

dangerboy wrote: Interesting perspective. In my experience it's like any other city that is overrun with tourists.  All you have to do is get away from the city centre and the popular attractions and into the neighborhoods with locals, and then it is an entirely different experience. 
That's pretty much true to a certain extent.  Bear in mind, I was there twice at Easter which is among the busiest weeks of the year.  Still, Amsterdam is a bit more hectic than the average European city due to its very compact nature, youthful tourist set and the sheer number of bicycles which make maneuvering as a pedestrian a bit different than in other cities around Europe. 

You can get away from the city center and find quiet interesting neighborhoods but you are also moving further away from the medieval/older parts of the city that are archictecturally and historically more interesting.  I generally don't have an aversion to places frequented by tourists, why would you not want to see Anne Frank's house or the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam or the Eifel Tower in Paris or the Colossium in Rome?  They are crowded because they are absolutely worth seeing.  I can do without the tackier elements of tourism like wax museums, all you can eat buffets, etc... but when I am in Amsterdam, I think it's great to have a beer in Leidsplein or Rembrandtsplein, there are as many locals there as there are tourists.  I heard Dutch a lot more in the city center than any other language....except in Dam Square and the Red Light District, there I heard English, Italian, and Slavic languages but practically no Dutch. 
Roanoker wrote: Wonderful pictures! Beautiful buildings. Love the flowers, of course. What was the batman-like guy doing?
Thanks!  Batman wasn't getting much love from the crowd.  There was a comedic escape artist performing not too far away who had attracted a big crowd and Batman and Darth Vadar (not pictured) were being totally ignored. The escape artist was actually mocking them  :(. They stand completely still like statues and have a little cup out for money; I don't think they ate all that well that night.