Thinking of moving to Washington D.C.

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
omenapt
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Thinking of moving to Washington D.C.

Post by omenapt »

[. 

On the other hand, my sister lives in Potomac MD and one snowy winter day (years ago), her son saw Arnold Schwartzeneger plow their street (the Shivers live nearby).
[/quote]

Awnold is alvays talking about vanting a plow job!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

so went to DC this past weekend...pretty cool city, enjoyed finally seeing the sites, did all the boring normal DC first timer stuff so won't bore anybody with that....here are the places I remember eating...

Ben's Chili Bowl - wow.  I ate this for lunch and didn't eat anything else the rest of the day.  Awesome atmosphere but the chili half smoke might be a little much especially with cheese fries on top..

DC Coast - nice place, good food.  Half price bottles of wine on Sunday drew us there.  Glad we went, definitely recommend it.

Jaleo - good tapas restaurant, everything we had was good.

Mr. Smiths (Georgetown) - Stopped here for brunch drawn in by the patio...food was ok but didn't expect much as it looked more like a college bar.  Patio rocks.

we ate a couple more places but they are escaping me.

Overall seems like a cool city....I don't really see myself going back very often but I had fun while there.  I don't know why but I could not get my bearings there....and it has to be one of the easiest cities to navigate with the straight forward letter and numbers streets (and laid out pretty well as far as a grid)...for some reason I wasn't getting it.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

KCPowercat wrote: Overall seems like a cool city....I don't really see myself going back very often but I had fun while there.  I don't know why but I could not get my bearings there....and it has to be one of the easiest cities to navigate with the straight forward letter and numbers streets (and laid out pretty well as far as a grid)...for some reason I wasn't getting it.
It's the dang diagonal avenues that break the grid...  Anyway, DC is an awesome city.  Once you get away from the Mall and all the monuments and museums, it's a city of neighborhoods.  Georgetown, Adams Morgan, Shaw, U Street, etc. 
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Yeah it's a great place to live.  I'm getting spoiled with some things here and I fear it is going to just get harder and harder to move back to KC...but then again I think about KC a lot.  I will miss the the endless amount of things to do and places to explore (and the seemingly endless amount of young, attractive people) but KC is much more artistic and seems to have more of a local feel where as DC feel very corporate in most neighborhoods.  I'll miss the ease of getting around without a car (but I plan to try to live without one whenever I move to KC).  It also seems like it would be easier to stand out in KC.  DC has a higher HIV rate than lots of African Countries, too.  Ick