Saint Louis

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

sweet hotel

Post by Maitre D »

check out this sweet hotel we're staying at.....Clayton On The Park:

http://www.claytononthepark.com/default.html
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Saint Louis

Post by KCPowercat »

That place is nice.  More like an apartment than a hotel room with some modern touches.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

clayton just makes me depressed...especially when i see foot traffic on weekend days, i think of what downtown st. louis would be...i can't believe it exists. anyway, the transit access is nice, i take metrolink over there to rent autos for business trips often.
Last edited by warwickland on Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JivecitySTL
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by JivecitySTL »

warwickland wrote: clayton just makes me depressed...especially when i see foot traffic on weekend days, i think of what downtown st. louis would be...i can't believe it exists. anyway, the transit access is nice, i take metrolink over there to rent autos for business trips often.
Are you kidding?  Clayton is dead as a doornail compared to downtown St. Louis.  There is no comparison.  I work in Clayton and it makes me depressed too, but that's because it is depressing.
You can't spell STYLE without STL.
www.stl-style.com
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

JivecitySTL wrote: Are you kidding?  Clayton is dead as a doornail compared to downtown St. Louis.  There is no comparison.  I work in Clayton and it makes me depressed too, but that's because it is depressing.
That's what I was thinking.  Clayton on evenings and weekends is about as vibrant as 110th and Antioch.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

i do see light foot traffic during the day on weekends, but my main point is not that downtown stl is dead (believe me, im usually there at this time), but that clayton has some of what could be down there.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

warwickland wrote: i do see light foot traffic during the day on weekends, but my main point is not that downtown stl is dead (believe me, im usually there at this time), but that clayton has some of what could be down there.
Right, but that's what's wrong with downtown KC too.  The plaza and crown center...
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

GRID wrote: Right, but that's what's wrong with downtown KC too.  The plaza and crown center...
i guess its all relative.
JivecitySTL
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by JivecitySTL »

Downtown St. Louis has a long way to go, but it's not nearly as dead as it was five or ten years ago.  I actually spent a recent Sunday shopping on Washington Avenue, where dozens of new boutiques have opened in recent years.  There were plenty of people out walking around, and it wasn't a game day either. 

If downtown St. Louis ever started resembling downtown Clayton, shoot me dead.  Clayton is lame.
You can't spell STYLE without STL.
www.stl-style.com
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

GRID wrote: That's what I was thinking.  Clayton on evenings and weekends is about as vibrant as 110th and Antioch.
Wrong.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Maitre D wrote: Wrong.
Could you kindly describe your observations to the contrary as opposed to just posting "Wrong" with no back-up? That way, maybe we can understand your perspective.

Thanks!

From my limited time in Clayton, I saw very little activity after dark.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

staubio wrote: Could you kindly describe your observations to the contrary as opposed to just posting "Wrong" with no back-up? That way, maybe we can understand your perspective.

Thanks!

From my limited time in Clayton, I saw very little activity after dark.
No, not really anything specific to add.  I'm there right now and I've gone out to bars/restaurants right around teh corner both days.  I guess I really don't have any specifics other than there were about 9 bars to choose from FRI nite, and all were full of people in them.

warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Washington Avenue is pretty damn hopping on weekend nights (at least every time ive been down there this summer), it seriously is starting to resemble LoDo somewhat (minus the vomit, so far).
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

warwickland wrote: Washington Avenue is pretty damn hopping on weekend nights (at least every time ive been down there this summer), it seriously is starting to resemble LoDo somewhat (minus the vomit, so far).
Yeah, some decent crowds.  Altho when I was there last, in late May, some dude at a dance club stopped me and my buddy and asked us to come inside.  We weren't interested and he said, "Hey, first drinks are on me, come on in"

Only time in my life I've been offered free drinks, as a guy.  That struck me as odd.  Wasn't like we were hot blondes in mini-skirts.

warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Maitre D wrote: Yeah, some decent crowds.  Altho when I was there last, in late May, some dude at a dance club stopped me and my buddy and asked us to come inside.  We weren't interested and he said, "Hey, first drinks are on me, come on in"

Only time in my life I've been offered free drinks, as a guy.  That struck me as odd.  Wasn't like we were hot blondes in mini-skirts.
well, it is still coming along...it's downtown st. louis, making a great jump...
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

I just wanted to post something...ANYthing...that removed 'Miami has a chicken problem" from the list of topics i see on the main board, for this category.

thanks.

AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Maitre D wrote: I just wanted to post something...ANYthing...that removed 'Miami has a chicken problem" from the list of topics i see on the main board, for this category.

thanks.
:?:

Thanks for that well thought-out post about Saint Louis.  :?
KC is the way to be!
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/25/arts/ ... ref=slogin

Sculptor turned entrepreneurial arts developer of the St. Louis City Museum schemes next quirky renovation: after link.
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

I went to St. Louis for the Mizzou game, first time since Fall 2005 I have gone to St. Louis during a fair time to make any kinds of judgement (the only other time I went was Mardis Gras 2007 and that was awful, mainly because of the weather).  So here are my thoughts.

1.  My high school buddy lives in Central West End and in 2005 there was the Drunken Fish and that was about it.  Most everything else around there was old homes being redone and empty store fronts.  Today, a complete 180, I'm very impressed with the area.  It reminds me of Union Hill/Martini Corner, however at least one or two years ahead.

2.  The Edward Jones Dome still sucks.  And downtown St. Louis (at least the part near the river) still has an awful stinch that I can't explain.

3.  The MetroLink is nice but seems like it is really only useful for going to/from work and Cardinals games which is better than nothing I guess.

4.  There is still too much ghetto/blight for a city it's size, however St. Louis looks much nicer/cleaner than I can ever remember.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Yeah, it is cleaner than it used to be.

In fact, I'm going there tomorrow to interview with a firm in St Charles.