Victory Park- Dallas

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Victory Park- Dallas

Post by KCLover »

So what exactly does Victory Park consist of? 2 airline terminal looking buildings with scrolling tv's, and a HOB? If so Blah.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

This is just an observation, but- 'Victory' is the suffix the government in 1984 labels their goods and services- Winston drinks 'Victory Gin' and lives in 'Victory Apartments'- and no-places like Dallas' Victory Park and for example, Barney Allis Plaza- vast concrete fields, windowless walls- have that 'Brutalist' architecture people call 'Soviet' or whatever.  But Brutalist architecture flourishes in the U.S. and sets many a dystopian tale.
ddw334umkc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ddw334umkc »

KCLover wrote: So what exactly does Victory Park consist of? 2 airline terminal looking buildings with scrolling tv's, and a HOB? If so Blah.
Why is everyone hating on Victory Park?  It is basically the catalyst of new urbanism and total Manhattanization within the Dallas CBD.  I'm talking high density neighborhoods, low and high rise condos, restaraunts, bars, park system and greenways, structured parking, grocery stores (PLURAL), a new library, shopping district replete with high end vendors, all this combined with an already established (and visually appeasing) downtown core.  Not to mention a world-class aquarium and music hall within blocks of the neighborhood. Planned light-rail stations along Victory Road, streetcar expansion lines through Uptown, with about two dozen condo and loft development projects throughout the CBD, and I won't even begin to talk about the developments outside of the CBD.  It's insane, they're not even 30% complete.  So what if the American Airlines Center isn't exactly architecturally in cungruent with some of the other surrounding developments.  It's an active arena with huge draws- you should have seen when people flocked to the stores, bars and restaraunts before and after the Mavericks game.  Things didn't die down until 4 or 5am. 

Don't get it twisted, I love my P&L District and our sexy new arena, but I guarantee when Victory is completed it will blow P&L away in just about every aspect.   We can actually learn a thing or two from them about urban development.
"Let's get it!"
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Again, I asked if they were ugly pictures, or pictures of an ugly place.  That's my Hatorade. 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Cordish Co is taking over leasing @ Victory Park:

http://dallas.bizjournals.com/dallas/st ... 00^3060881

:shock: