San Francisco

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: San Francisco Pictures

Post by phuqueue »

I would say that is a pretty poor comparison for a whole lot of reasons, not the least of which being that the raw distance between Palo Alto and San Francisco is half what it is between KC and Topeka.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

But the commute is exactly the same.

Perhaps flush cash and Uber have changed the equation.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

The more I push back against this comparison the more it feels like I'm defending Palo Alto as a place to live, so agree to disagree that commuting by train is "exactly the same" as commuting by car even if the trips are comparable length (by car, PA to SF is half as long as Topeka to KC, unless traffic interferes -- a situation that uber will make worse, not better).
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Hey, no fair playing the transit card!

After further thought, it is probably pretty common around the most populous cities, transit or not.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Incidentally, although it does take an hour, I've taken that Caltrain ride before and it's not too bad. But if I lived in Palo Alto it's probably long enough that I wouldn't regularly head into SF unless my job was there (in which case I wouldn't live in Palo Alto, so)
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

phuqueue wrote:I have a friend about to move out of Palo Alto and if you ask him it's not a minute too soon. Crushingly expensive and you don't actually get much for your money in terms of cultural amenities (unless you count proximity to San Francisco and its amenities). There are essentially no bars and the restaurant scene is apparently suffering mightily because tech companies poach everybody who can cook a decent meal for their private corporate dining rooms (to say nothing of restaurants and other businesses driven out by rising rents, which are often replaced by yet more techie workspaces). All in all it sounds like a terrible place to live and getting worse.
The place is crushingly expensive. I was shocked to see Menlo Park show up as the most expensive community in California on a recent list - a state with Malibu, Sausilito, Beverly Hills and Palm Springs? My daughter was an intern there this summer and it was very tough for her to find a place to live that would allow her to even break even over the summer. That said, I rather liked the community and I really liked Palo Alto. I disagree about restaurants, there are just a ton of restaurants in the downtown area about a mile from Stanford. Not chains, but a real variety of ethnic, to fining dining and stuff you'd see on DDD. And there are ample bars there and all the way into downtown Menlo Park. Menlo Park has a really quaint but downtown with a lot of restaurants too, but a bit different than the glitzier Palo Alto downtown - and it's all about 40 minutes from SF on the Cal Train (although it doesn't get that far into SF). I loved the area for the few days I was there - but I simply could never afford to live there.