Blossom House

tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Blossom House

Post by tat2kc »

Blossom house, a mansion at 11th and Pennsylvania, is being remodeled and renovated into offices and meeting space. The firm (my partner's!) that is heading up the design is Helix. They are the same folks who did the Hotel Phillips and Webster House. They plan to restore as much of the interior detalis as possible. If you have not seen their work, check out Webster House or the hotel. They do a fantastic job in restoration while updating for modern usage.

Also, Helix is moving into a new building they just renovated, at 16th and Walnut. They've taken an old, falling down warehouse and transformed it into an incredible design space while keeping the open, industrial historic character of the building. The move is scheduled for next Friday.

I'll check with Helix, and post any further information as it becomes available.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Blossom House

Post by QueSi2Opie »

I drove past the Blossom House the other day...thinkin' how nice it was and wishin' someone would redevelop the property. Jus' wish it would be converted into an inner-city B&B.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
carfreekc
New York Life
New York Life

Blossom House

Post by carfreekc »

Hallelujah! I always thought it was a sin that Garfinkel owned all those buildings in Quality Hill and let them sit and rot...and the Blossom House has been one of the saddest examples of that. That will be nice to see.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Blossom House

Post by tat2kc »

Update:
Both Blossom house and the apt building next door will be restored. As much of the original work will be restored. What cannot be repaired or renovated will be replaced as close to the original as possible. The connecting "bridge", which does not match either building will be replaced with a glass atrium/gazebo type bridge. I am going to check and see if there are any design renderings available yet, and if I can get a copy, I'll post em. The buildings will be available for non-profit offices. It will definately look like a mansion and a beautiful old apt building outdoors, with lots of people, hopefully inside!
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Blossom House

Post by tat2kc »

more info! Shirley Helzberg apparently owns all the whole block, except for the paved parking lot at 10th. This includes all the land behind and buildings on that street which is one block west (can't think of the name of it at the moment. The entire block is to be turned into a "non-profit campus" and all the building renovated and restored, extensive landscaping, etc. No detailed drawings yet, but with her track record and resources, as well as Helix's attention to detail, it is going to amazing!!!
carfreekc
New York Life
New York Life

Blossom House

Post by carfreekc »

While I am thrilled to hear that one of these days I will be able to finally look at the Blossom House and see progress, I have to wonder: Does no one pay for their own damn parking anymore?

In this week's Business Journal:

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/s ... tory8.html

"Helzberg requests TIF for parking at revamped Blossom House"
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Construction Has Started

Post by FangKC »

Renovation of Blossum House and the adjacent buildings (on Penn and Jefferson streets) has started. There appear to be five structures that will be redeveloped, and a parking garage added on the corner of 11th and Jefferson. There are two buildings on Penn, and two on Jefferson, and the carriage house ruins in the alley between these structures. That construction equipment that has been sitting across from Carlton Tower all summer (that I thought was there for demolition of Carlton and Carriage House) appears to be the construction site for the Blossum House project.
There is no fifth destination.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Blossom House

Post by tat2kc »

I went to the open house for Helix, the design firm that is doing this last night. (catered by 40 sardines, excellent food!). Anyway, I saw a model for this "non-profit campus". The designers are building the parking garage mostly underground, and it will be built so that housing can be put above the garage. The housing has not been approved yet, but the designers want to make sure that housing can be built on the site, instead of just a plain garage. There will be extensive landscaping, and all the buildings will be tied together. For an idea of the historic restoration that this firm does, check out Webster House and the Hotel Phillips, and the addition to the Toy and Miniature Museum. It is gonna be a first class facility.