When did you last go to the Negro League museum?

Last visit to NLBM (or Jazz museum)?

Poll runs till Mon Feb 25, 2036 12:40 am

Last Week
No votes
Last Month
No votes
Last Year
33%
Three Years
11%
Never been
56%

Total votes: 9

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Well, how long has it been? I ask this question because I know many people complain about lack of things to do in KC when in reality, there are thousands things to do but nobody wants to bust out of their little world to go try them out. I know I'm preaching to the choir here.

So i thought I'd test this out with KC's most underrated attraction

Which also brings up the question, does NLBM have staying power? Is it an attraction that somebody can keep going back to? I've been 3 times and love it every time....but I'm also a huge baseball fan.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

I've been once and would definitely recommend the museums at 18th & Vine to residents and visitors. However, this is not a museum that I would go to annually. I only make repeat visits to museums with changing exhibits (i.e. Nelson-Atkins, Kemper, Union Station).
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

I am taking the 5 yr old and 2yr old their in a month or two.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

StL_Dan wrote:I am taking the 5 yr old and 2yr old their in a month or two.
They will especially love the Negro Leagues Museum. Afterwards, you can head east a couple of blocks to Arthur Bryant's for some great barbecue.

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

QueSi2Opie wrote:
StL_Dan wrote:I am taking the 5 yr old and 2yr old their in a month or two.
They will especially love the Negro Leagues Museum. Afterwards, you can head east a couple of blocks to Arthur Bryant's for some great barbecue.
I hear that, Q! It's been my Royals Opening Day tradition for the past 5 years to head over to Arthur Bryants and load up on the Beef on Bun and Fries before heading to Kauffman (with other trips for lunch throughout the year). That place is awesome.

As a result, I've driven right down 18th St from McGee eastward to Brooklyn right through the district on many occassions. I get that nagging feeling in my stomach that says "Go go go". Well, I'm gonna go and make day of it now that the kiddos are getting to the age where they understand what they will be looking at. And they'll LOVE the eats at Bryant's.

Question....what else is there to do in the District in terms of family stuff? Does the Gem Theater do any tours or shows? Are there any other venues in the District that do stuff for families?
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

StL_Dan wrote:I hear that, Q! It's been my Royals Opening Day tradition for the past 5 years to head over to Arthur Bryants and load up on the Beef on Bun and Fries before heading to Kauffman (with other trips for lunch throughout the year). That place is awesome.

As a result, I've driven right down 18th St from McGee eastward to Brooklyn right through the district on many occassions. I get that nagging feeling in my stomach that says "Go go go". Well, I'm gonna go and make day of it now that the kiddos are getting to the age where they understand what they will be looking at. And they'll LOVE the eats at Bryant's.

Question....what else is there to do in the District in terms of family stuff? Does the Gem Theater do any tours or shows? Are there any other venues in the District that do stuff for families?
As far as I know, the Gem Theater is only open during shows. There are the two main museums at 18th & Vine (American Jazz & Negro Leagues) and the Charlie Parker Memorial. Make sure you buy a combo ticket for the museums (about $8). You can swing up Brooklyn from 18th and go all the way to Cliff Drive and trace it to Gladstone Blvd and visit the Kansas City Museum at the former Robert A. Long mansion. The museum is kid friendly with lots of hands-on-exhibits, living history displays, a planetarium, and a old fashion working soda fountain shop. I mean, it's not Science City or Kalidescope...but your kids will still enjoy it. Plus it offers a brief history and artifacts of KC.

QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

I typed eight dollars and it displayed a damn "cool" happy face. [/u]