Population Growth Declines

TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by TheDude »

Fewer people moved to KC last year (down 20%):

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... st=b_ln_hl

"In 2010, we won't use long-form data," Lenk said. "We'll use this averaging technique."

NOW that's the SH#T i'm talkin' bout
"ALWAYS be closing"
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

so due to your last comment, is this good or bad?
because 66,795 more people is a great increase. and i really really doubt 10,000 people would leave the city in a year.
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

"Among all U.S. counties with at least 250,000 residents, Johnson County had the second-highest rate of high school graduates in 2002, at 94.5 percent."

Wow... JoCo is the second-smartest county in the nation.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I don't know if I would draw a line from rate of high school graduation to smarts. Among all U.S. counties with at least 250,000 residents, Johnson County has one of the lowest populations and highest average incomes (adjusted for cost of living), both of which have a pretty profound effect on not only the quality of public schools, but on the ability of residents to send their kids to private schools. I haven't seen the chart, but I'd bet that much of the top 50 are wealthy suburbs.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

I think it means that of all the people who are old enough to have graduated from high school, 94.5% of them have (and therefore 5.5% have not graduated). I don't think it refers to current students in high school.

I was intentionally exaggerating on my comment to see what the response would be; obviously high school graduation is not the only factor in how "smart" a county is. But still, you must admit that's an impressive statistic.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

It's not a surprise since the county is entirely suburban, but since it's over 250,000 it is compared with counties that include inner cities. Comparing an all-suburban county with a county containing a city like KCK or Detroit will obviously lead to a very high ranking. The poor, inner city areas of those counties negate the wealthy surburban areas.

A more useful comparison would suburb-to-suburb. For example Johnson vs. Platte, St. Charles, Orange, etc.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

WyCo doesn't have 250,000 people. In the metro, only Johnson and Jackson do.

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/GC ... ormat=ST-2
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

WY doesn't have 250,000 people, but if there were no county line, JoCo would not rank that high. The reason it does is because it is almost all suburban. Out west, the counties are freaking huge- the entire Phoenix metro area is in Maricopa County- and because of that, MC has no chance of being ranked high. I think that Dangerboy is saying that most counties over 250,000 have innre cities, like Maricopa Cpounty, and JoCo doesn't have one- but would if WY CO were included.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I don't think it refers to current students in high school.
I'm assuming that most residents graduated from there and stayed.
It's not a surprise since the county is entirely suburban, but since it's over 250,000 it is compared with counties that include inner cities.
^ Exactly. I think you explained it better.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Large Counties

Post by FangKC »

I lived in Arizona for 7 years and worked in state government there. Some Arizona counties are as large as some of the smaller states back east.
There is no fifth destination.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

But I sure doubt that they ever had 250,000 people in them.
Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Good2Great »

Lenk is a JEANIUS! Anytime I need to calculate the weight of the atmosphere minus the net weight of pollution caused by the smoldering tip of a doobie...Lenk's the go to guy!

Ever wonder what happened to the John Lovitz Character..THE CRITIC....again, Lenk is the go to guy!
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.