Thanks for setting up the Library tour!

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Wow, nice to meet many of the forumers, we must do it again, with our without the tour, (straight to Tanner's).

Thanks agains to Electric_Cactus.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

So what is everyone like off of the internet? (I'm not nearly like I am on SSP offline)
Electric_Cactus
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Electric_Cactus »

It was my pleasure. I thouroughly enjoyed meeting many of you, and it was nice to put faces to the names.

For those who couldn't make it, Dorothy Elliot was a very good guide. We got to see all five floors, including a 5th floor terrace that offers stunning views of the city, and has skylights facing down below that you can actually walk on (although we didn't get to do that tonight.)

In sum, the building was 110% better than I anticipated. It will be a terrific asset to the city, and hopefully it's opening will attract investors to bring more commerce to that area.

I'm sure pictures from our tour will follow, below, in this thread.

I will also send a thank-you letter to the Library this week.
"Quiet people aren't the only ones who don't say much."
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Here's some pictures:

Grand Entrance (not too grand right now)

Ceiling Detail

Light Fixture

Clock at end of entrance

Grand Reading Room (2 stories tall with skylights)

Old Bank Safe doors

View from outside 3rd floor
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Wow! the pictures are awesome. The library looks like it has great potential for being a major downtown gathering place. I am correct in thinking that the new coffee shop will have a separate entrance so it can be open earlier and later than the library?
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I believe so.....the guide talked a lot, I spaced out....I was thinking the cafe would be in the open area on the 5th floor...but that area will be only for special events and won't be open most of the time. That sucks....that's the part I wanted to go eat lunch and hang out.....

they did say on the cafe that they will probably have some seats on the sidewalk.

carfreekc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by carfreekc »

I second Grid's thanks for organizing the tour! I walk past the place almost every day, so it was great to be able to see what's going on inside it. I wonder if they'll change the hours back (http://www.kclibrary.org/about/news/story.cfm?ID=413) once they move in and are closer to where people live.

Nice photos, KC. I really hope they find a way to keep the 5th floor terrace open for more than just special events. Even if they couldn't keep it open during all of the regular library hours, maybe they could just during certain blocks of time (e.g., lunch, sunset, etc.).

I'm also kind of hacked more now that BRT isn't planned for 10th + Main, what with the library going in right across the street and all the housing going in. Seems like a bit of a waste of the existing transit hub. I was all excited about being able to hang in the library until my bus until I realized that my main bus route (56) will become BRT, so I'll not be able to just dash across the street like I was envisioning. (I know, I know, it won't be that much farther...but I'll be cursing it as I have to pass up all the buses at 10th + Main.)
MidtownGrrl
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by MidtownGrrl »

More thanks to Electric Cactus!

Once the library is open, I think we will all be amazed at the transformation.

The entrance/lobby is going to be breathtaking. I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished reading room (Grand Reading Room?). I hope it lives up to its potential.

Devin, everyone at the tour seemed pretty normal. You know, for a bunch of people who think touring a library is exciting. ;) The worst part was trying to figure out if the people standing across from the library were indeed the people we were looking for. "Hello, are you the internet strangers I'm supposed to meet?"
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KCDevin wrote:So what is everyone like off of the internet? (I'm not nearly like I am on SSP offline)
everyone is shy and maladjusted :lol:
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

StL_Dan wrote:everyone is shy and maladjusted :lol:
That's what I kinda read from the faces and conversations too. I would've been willing to buy everyone the first round of pints jus' to loosen people up a bit. Hell, I would've joined you at Tanner's, Dan, but I didn't want to impose on you and your buddy that you were suppose to meet. Jus' seemed like everyone wanted to get outta there and go their seperate ways after the tour. Don't really know why the people felt "shy and maladjusted", you were all a goodlookin' bunch. :wink:

Anyhow, it was probably better I got home sooner than later. The wife already had enchiladas in the oven and couldn't quite figure out why I wanted to hang out with a bunch of internet people at a construction site. :-s

As far as the library, it's hard to imagine they'll have it finished by Spring. Nobody will be disappointed once it's open...except for the fact the public won't be able to enjoy the rooftop.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Hey, Q....I'm glad you explained to us how to say your screen name....geeez....I didn't realize it was French for "KCtoOP". I'ma dumbarse. :lol:

I'll take you up on that "round o' pints" anytime, Q! Just name the time and place.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

QueSi2Opie wrote:Hell, I would've joined you at Tanner's, Dan, but I didn't want to impose on you and your buddy that you were suppose to meet.
My buddy was a co-worker that has a p/t gig at that nearby Towers parking garage. I told him I'd be down his way and that he could tag along and meet some of my cyberacquaintances if he wanted. My intention was to hook up with at least a few of you to getter better acquainted. Sorry I left the wrong impression. I'm often confused for being the stuck up JOCO jackarse. :lol:
QueSi2Opie wrote:Anyhow, it was probably better I got home sooner than later. The wife already had enchiladas in the oven and couldn't quite figure out why I wanted to hang out with a bunch of internet people at a construction site. :-s
My wife thought the same thing. She doesn't get it. That's OK. She didn't have any dinner waiting for me either. Dangit.

RE: finished library.
I too am looking fwd to the library opening. I already consider it a destination and hope to make it a once a month or every other month type destination for the family on a Sat morning or sumpin.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

kind of hard to judge people's personalities on a 60 minute tour where the chick won't stop talking about the stacks isn't it? I'm far from shy around people.

QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

KC wrote:kind of hard to judge people's personalities on a 60 minute tour where the chick won't stop talking about the stacks isn't it? I'm far from shy around people.
Nah, you jus' seemed a lil' warm. Anyhow, I think we were all a bit nervous at first. Kinda awkward sayin',"Hey KC and GRID...let's ask Carefree and MidtownGirl to join us at the nearest bar for a drink."

BTW, GRID...the girls are probably gonna kill you for posting their images! :lol:

Suggestion for next tour: Name Tag: Hi My Name Is "Screen Name" A.K.A. "Real Name"

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
MidtownGrrl
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by MidtownGrrl »

Ha! Now, why aren't the guys going to be upset about their photos? Well, that's what I look like, so I guess I can't be to upset about the picture.

I had another drinking opportunity that started at 7, so heading out to a bar wouldn't have worked anyway.

Nice pics, GRID. I really like the shot of the doors. I can't wait to walk through them 'for real', once the library opens.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

MidtownGrrl wrote:Ha! Now, why aren't the guys going to be upset about their photos?
Well... Guys aren't suppose to get upset about those things. (Very bad stereotype of women, ey?) Maybe it's jus' my wife that hates to have her picture taken...then again, I take about 400 of them on every trip and make her pose in 90%. She'd never allow them on the internet...afraid someone will stalk her.

KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Hey great shots guys. I wish I could have gone. Next you should do a tour of the Boulevard Brewery when I'm in town. Since everyone will have met each other already, no one will be shy and I'll just get drunk :cheers:
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

QueSi2Opie wrote:Suggestion for next tour: Name Tag: Hi My Name Is "Screen Name" A.K.A. "Real Name"
at the risk of appearing like TOTAL DWEEBS, i agree, name tags would be helpful....especially for me since you clods and clodettes don't use a portion of your real name in your screen names. Shame on you.
MidtownGrrl
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by MidtownGrrl »

Well, it's settled then! At least three people have specifically said they want to go on a Boulevard tour.

The brewery has tours on Saturdays at 11, 1 and 3. I think they limit the number of people in a group to 8, but maybe we can beg and plead for a few more people to be allowed on the tour. November is feeling a bit full for me, how does December sound?

I'm not sure how the usergroup was set up for the Library Tour. I'd be happy to be the liason with Boulevard, though.

-Bridget/MidtownGrrl
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

MidtownGrrl wrote:Well, it's settled then! At least three people have specifically said they want to go on a Boulevard tour.

The brewery has tours on Saturdays at 11, 1 and 3. I think they limit the number of people in a group to 8, but maybe we can beg and plead for a few more people to be allowed on the tour. November is feeling a bit full for me, how does December sound?

I'm not sure how the usergroup was set up for the Library Tour. I'd be happy to be the liason with Boulevard, though.

-Bridget/MidtownGrrl
Cool. Count me in, B. I hope it's better than the AB tour in STL. 8)