Cauthen pimping downtown baseball stadium

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Man it is nice to have some outside perspective here in KC. People should listen to this dude, he's got some serious experience with what happened in Denver (everybody's favorite "look what they are doing" city)....

Anyways, wayne had a talk today about a new Kauffman going downtown and all it's benefits. Also pointed out the lack of development around the TSC now.

I agree with him, the problem is the money. On the other hand, I really don't see dumping $177M into renovations.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Royals and Chiefs leases don't expire until around 2015. We have at least 5 years before we have to make a final decision on renovations vs. replacements and still leave five years for construction.

A lot can change in five years. A downtown stadium might be more feasible, the economy might improve enough to give voters the confidence to approve a bistate tax, or MLB's revenue structure might change enough to attract more private stadium investment. No need to reach a final decision just yet.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting kind of sick of hearing about Denver.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

me too, why cant we say, hey look what their doing to LA, SF, Chicago, Minneapolis, Dallas, Miami or Houston?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Erm, we do.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I don't want to hear anything about LA, because it's a lot more like KC than anyone in KC or LA are willing to admit.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

We can study LA to learn more effective ways to sprawl.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

Yeah, you don't want to look at LA for a role model. They are trying to reinvent downtown, but overall, downtown LA isn't much better off than downtown KC - other than having more and higher buildings. Actually, with all the homeless camps and trash on the south end of downtown, I'd say KC is doing much better.

One thing KC could study here in LA is all the infill projects going on. Since the Basin is practically built out, the only way to add housing is through infill projects. They're slapping up houses on any patch of clear land they can find. Fortunately, many are high-density projects adhering to the principles of New Urbanism. My bet is that high-rise housing will take off soon - especially along light rail and subway lines.