Question about Town Topic Cafes

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I was wondering why there are two Town Topic cafes in the Crossroads District just blocks from each other. One is at Broadway and SW Boulevard, and the other at 18th and Baltimore. They seem so close together that one wonders how they can both stay open. Are they owned by the same person or company? Are they located all over Kansas City, or are there just those two?
There is no fifth destination.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

I dunno, but I heard one of 'em ( the one on Broadway, I think ) was robbed the other nite.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

There's a Town Topic on Johnson Drive in Mission. Not sure who owns it, though.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

a while back that would always screw me up driving...they look exactly the same and I'd be like "wait, where am I"
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

I want to buy a Dick's Last Resort chain and put in on Broadway in downtown.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Town topic is so gross, yet so wonderful. I don't know why they're so close to each other though. Very odd, that.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Midnight at Town Topic

Post by FangKC »

I was in there at midnight on Friday and the counters were packed, and people were standing waiting for take-out. I love how plain and utilitarian the place is.
I liked the food too. "=D>" It's so retro and sleazy, but yummy. Sort of like White Castle but without the indigestion that comes later. "lol"

Perhaps there are two cafes so close together because they are so small in size, that after the first one was built, it couldn't handle all the business at one time, so they built another. The one on 18th and Broadway appears to only be open during the day.

Are there any pre-fabricated chrome drive-up diners in Kansas City still open from the 1940s era? These types of places were commonplace all over the country at one time.

I'd also like to see a walk-up/ drive-up hotdog place like Nathan's (from NYC) or a Philly-Cheesesteak place (like Genos in Philly) downtown. Both establishments should have lots of neon too.
There is no fifth destination.